PDA

View Full Version : Direct record to a CODEC a MAC can use?

Adam_LightPlay
01-07-2008, 12:24 PM
For some reason, some people still want to do their final cut on a MAC. But they love the TriCaster for all its upstream, and switching features. One customer is recording day long seminars, to an external drive. They don't want to have to re-render all of it through the editor or another PC based converter just to get a digital file that loads into their MAC.

I believe you don't have the Speed HQ CODEC available for the MAC.
So, how about a choice to switch the native live recording mode to either a standard DV .avi, or a .DV file. I'm not a programmer, but I'll bet Andrew could pull that off.
Thanks,

DrVideo
01-10-2008, 05:16 PM
I'll second that request. That is my #1 gripe about the Tricaster. I would love to be able to use the recorded video right off of the tricaster HD rather than have to spend tons of time waiting for the "prepare for vcr" feature to render.

DrVideo:agree:

CreatvGnius
01-12-2008, 05:18 PM
I'll second that request. That is my #1 gripe about the Tricaster. I would love to be able to use the recorded video right off of the tricaster HD rather than have to spend tons of time waiting for the "prepare for vcr" feature to render.

DrVideo:agree:

That would be a huge time-saver, although something needs to be in place, I think, for TriCaster to default to its usual codec-writing scheme, unless an optional codec type is selected by the user before a particular shoot event.

Come to think of it, such a feature might spur additional sales of TriCaster units to those in the Apple community, I would think.
-PeterG

simonholley
02-20-2008, 03:02 AM
I'd like to add my say - this is a must have feature for tricaster - all models! I also want to be able to write direct to an avi onto an external drive in a codec a mac can read so I can quickly edit in final cut or imovie and be done!

aldorr
02-22-2008, 07:24 PM
It would be great if we weren't locked into the PC... I'm sure the codec is optimized for the hardware that it comes with... so maybe the system would be too slow with some other codec.
Wouldn't the best option be to write a codec so that the mac can just read the files. Call me crazy.

justindfarr
02-26-2008, 11:20 AM
I'd like to add my say - this is a must have feature for tricaster - all models! I also want to be able to write direct to an avi onto an external drive in a codec a mac can read so I can quickly edit in final cut or imovie and be done!

That's what i'm talking about! Record to an external drive and then plug that drive into my macbook pro to edit later... that would be awesome!

TIMECARE
02-28-2008, 03:28 PM
Wouldn't it be the end of the world to have all input cameras backed up too along with the cut version on the tricaster drive? This would be a great help for post production reswitched ! Maybe it is not that far anyway for Newtek to come out with something in the future.

Or am i crazy ?? asking too much !!!!!!

CreatvGnius
02-28-2008, 04:21 PM
Wouldn't it be the end of the world to have all input cameras backed up too along with the cut version on the tricaster drive? This would be a great help for post production reswitched ! Maybe it is not that far anyway for Newtek to come out with something in the future.

Or am i crazy ?? asking too much !!!!!!

Sounds like you'd like to see happen to TriCaster™ models, what *is* being done with NewTek's VT[2], VT[3] and VT[4] card based PCs. This thing you're asking is available through an add-on called XtraChannel™ PCI express based hardware and Bobs6thChannel software.

I don't believe the 3 lower TriCaster™ models sport the needed, available PCI-express slots, though.
-PeterG

CreatvGnius
02-28-2008, 04:27 PM
IOW, this thing you're asking is available through an add-on called XtraChannel™ PCI express based hardware and Bobs6thChannel software for VT, but I do not believe that the closed-system that is TriCaster™ -- along with its lack of available PCIe slot technology (save perhaps the flagship TriCaster STUDIO™ can as easily make such possible.

But then again, I wouldn't doubt the capability of those amazing engineers at NewTek to somehow manage some add-on for at least the top-tier variant (TriCaster STUDIO™).

Somehow, I'm thinking an external PCI express bay, populated with the necessary hardware, would be a really cool offering in this regard.
-PeterG

pomenski
03-25-2008, 09:37 PM
Yes - Yes - - as a Mac Final Cut User, I'd love the feature of recording to an external Hard Drive in a format that would plug-n-play!

DrVideo
03-27-2008, 05:59 PM
Something like this http://www.focusinfo.com/solutions/catalog.asp?id=171

Coupled with a Canopus advc 110 SVideo to Dv Bridge.

Or Strap a Canopus to a Mac Mini, Paint it black and call it the Tricaster Sidecar!
:)

04-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Ditto on all the positive comments supporting a CODEC for the TC that Mac and Final Cut users can work with.

The use of Macs and Final Cut systems is big and growing in my area. The ability to work with and/ or provide Mac files would be huge and no doubt spur additional sales and buzz even if it were only available on the higher end TC models.

For some reason, some people still want to do their final cut on a MAC. But they love the TriCaster for all its upstream, and switching features. One customer is recording day long seminars, to an external drive. They don't want to have to re-render all of it through the editor or another PC based converter just to get a digital file that loads into their MAC.

I believe you don't have the Speed HQ CODEC available for the MAC.
So, how about a choice to switch the native live recording mode to either a standard DV .avi, or a .DV file. I'm not a programmer, but I'll bet Andrew could pull that off.
Thanks,

John Perkins
04-16-2008, 05:15 PM
The new TriCaster 2.0 upgrades announced at NAB now record in MPEG2 I-Frame.

This is a high bitrate (about 25Mbps) standard MPEG that should be editable in just about any recent editor without the need for our own custom codec.

This also allows us to stay in 4:2:2 color rather than the 4:1:1 or 4:2:0 of DV.

Adam_LightPlay
04-18-2008, 01:49 AM
Problem Solved.
Love ya, NewTek

ted
04-18-2008, 02:05 AM
John, I didn't think this was 4:2:2 but rather 4:2:0.
Can you confirm this? Thanks.