PDA

View Full Version : Repeatable Crash

csquared63
01-05-2008, 12:24 PM
I'm using 9.3.1 32-bit on XP Pro SP2 with 3Gb RAM and a nvidia Quadro 3400 and I'm getting crashes with certain group of seemingly simple objects in Modeler.

I basically have several splines on individual layers and when I try to weld the first and last point so I can get a "complete" rail extrude, it crashes. It also sometimes happens when just trying to move one of the points, or in selecting one or two points.

I had a background image in for reference for the splines and made it invisible when I was done. I'll try removing it from the list and see if that fixes anything.

Any ideas where to start? How do I know which object is the offender—or could it be something else?

Thanks,

Carl

danielkaiser
01-06-2008, 01:02 AM
you can't weld points from different layers, copy the splines to a single layer then weld.

csquared63
01-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the reply. I'm not trying to weld different splines on different layers. I'm trying to weld the start and end points of an individual spline on its own layer. It's just that I have several layers with individual splines. Sorry for the confusion.

Maxx
01-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Doesn't seem to be a problem here - I tried welding points from splines on different layers (comes up with a warning that you can't do that) and points from individual splines on the same layer with multiple active foreground layers - no crash. I also tried welding the beginning point to the end point of the same spline with multiple foreground layers activated and alone.

Maybe trash your configs and give it another shot?

csquared63
01-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Here's the lwo file. Would somone take a second see if I'm just dumb? :p Go to the 5th, 6th or 7th layers and try to weld the two end points in the spline. Sometimes it happens if I select one and move it too.

I've since figured out that I could have created CLOSED splines in the first place, but since I've found a potential bug, maybe we should look into it.

Thanks,

Carl

csquared63
01-07-2008, 06:33 PM
See attached.

Maxx
01-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Weird. The first time I tried it, layer 5 was no problem, but layer 6 crashed out Modeler. Second time, it all worked fine, but Modeler crashed on exit right after testing. Strange. Rebuilding the spline path doesn't give me any problems, though it looks like the paths are fine. Strange.

If nobody else can find an issue (I don't have more time to play, unfortunately) I would pack up the object and submit it with a description to the bug report e-mail at NewTek.

csquared63
01-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Thanks Maxx. I hope someone else can give it a whirl.

danielkaiser
01-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Had the same problem with a couple of the layers, rebuild them by pressing (k) to kill the pollys then using make closed curve to make a spline, about the extrude problem, you have to have the object to be extruded placed at the start of the curve, that will give you a proper extrusion, also you might want to use two paths and do a multi rail extrude to help control the thickness of the resulting object at the right angle turns.

csquared63
01-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Thanks Daniel. I think that'll do the trick. Can you create a closed curve using Spline Draw? How would I use a separate path and multi rail extrude to control the sharp turns?

danielkaiser
01-08-2008, 07:24 PM
Thanks Daniel. I think that'll do the trick. Can you create a closed curve using Spline Draw? How would I use a separate path and multi rail extrude to control the sharp turns?

When in Spline Draw open the numeric panel and select Closed Curve.

Copy and paste the spline to another layer, then drag the points to make the object slightly larger than the original then past to the originals layer, use scale in the Rail Extrude panel. you could also change the width of the object to be extruded so it better conforms to the angle.

csquared63
01-08-2008, 07:58 PM
When in Spline Draw open the numeric panel and select Closed Curve.

Copy and paste the spline to another layer, then drag the points to make the object slightly larger than the original then past to the originals layer, use scale in the Rail Extrude panel. you could also change the width of the object to be extruded so it better conforms to the angle.

Thanks for your help, Daniel.

-Carl

dmurallo
02-28-2008, 12:01 PM
I am getting a lot of the same happening to me. I would make a simple object (Like a cylinder) and I drag a point and modeler would crash. It sometimes happens when I am working on a UV. It is repeatable.