PDA

View Full Version : Switching Lightwave to Different Computer?

vhfw
01-05-2008, 10:32 AM
Hi all! I am planning on getting a new computer and I was curious about what steps are necessary to put the program onto it. It is version 8.5. I tried installing it on my sister's computer thinking that the dongle would allow for it to be installed on multiple computers, but I had some trouble. This time when I switch the program, I am planning on uninstalling it from one and reinstalling it on my new one. I guess my question is that before I spend all the money on a computer, will I be able to sucessfully reinstall it? Thanks!

iconoclasty
01-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Absolutely. I'm assuming the only reason you would have had any trouble getting it to work on your sister's computer is because in addition to the dongle you also need the license.key This is found in the programs folder of your LW directory. You can either copy that to the new computer or make a new one. It's essentially a text document and you just have to type your license number inside of it. If you can't get it from your old computer you should be able to access your license from the registrations section of netek.com

tribbles
01-05-2008, 01:11 PM
I've had no problems moving it between computers (it's been on 4 different ones I've owned over the years - even switching from PC to Mac on the last one).

As iconoclasty has said, the license key is what you (probably) were missing - it would probably say you had X days remaining when you started up (unless the dongle didn't work - in which case it'll be in discovery mode).

vhfw
01-06-2008, 01:57 AM
thanks for the replies! I think I will try it again and see what happens... I've always loved this board. Everyone is so nice and helpful. I really look up to you guys. :bowdown: :)

colkai
01-06-2008, 04:07 AM
I don't even install it on other PC's.
One of the joys of LW for me is, copying the directory means I can use it anywhere providing I have my dongle plugged into that PC and the right sentinel driver installed.
I have a DVD with my LW installations, (8.5, 9.2 & 9.3.1) along with my 3rd party plugins folder and my content directory, plus a folder containing my normal menu "shortcut" items.

Dropping these onto any Pc means I am up and running in seconds. :)