PDA

View Full Version : BUG ALERT: LW & Microsoft Office Outlook 2003

Geoff Vane
01-04-2008, 05:46 AM
Be carefull with Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 running on the background. I found out that LW can crash when you press F9. Lost a lot of work allready before I discovered that it was Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 causing it!!!

Probably not the fault of Lightwave, since Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 messes up things with more programs.

:screwy:

Geoff Vane
01-04-2008, 06:21 AM
I'm sorry to say that it is not just Microsoft Office Outlook 2003.

lwtools9.dll keeps on crashing in lw9.3.1.

Is there no cure?

:thumbsdow

Matt
01-04-2008, 06:26 AM
What are you doing when it crashes? Just F9? What were you doing prior to it crashing?

Geoff Vane
01-04-2008, 06:37 AM
Just loading a scene and press F9.

When I render F9, move along the time line a bit and render again, crash is guarranteed.

Sometimes render nodes crash too or just refuse to render a scene and switch themselves off.

To me, lwtools9.dll seems to be the stinker...

Is there any solution for making CrashWave work again?

simonbrewer
01-04-2008, 06:38 AM
I have had several LightWave crashes when hitting F9, and I found that simply changing the Camera type from Perspective to Classic (or vice versa) prevented the issue from happening again.

For example, if I try to render edges of an object (as in a "wireframe" style render) with the Perspective camera I get a consistant, reproducable crash with F9. Simply reloading the scene and changing the camera to Classic stops the crash. Likewise I have had similar issues with Monte Carlo crashing with Classic camera, but rendering fine with Perspective.

Geoff Vane
01-04-2008, 06:42 AM
Forget all about it, that bugaround is not working with me.
Tried to use the advanced camera but the same crash behaviour happened.
Still, thank you for trying to help me out here.

Geoff Vane
01-04-2008, 06:58 AM
Found the cause: using AVI as texture causes the crashes.
Codec: Matrox Axio DVCPRO 50
Bug-around: Temporary switching off the layer in surface editor.

coremi
01-04-2008, 11:50 AM
i found very buggy working with animated textures as avi compress, better with image sequence.

Matt
01-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Coremi is right, an image sequence is much better, quicker and more stable than using a video file.

arrow1234
01-04-2008, 06:47 PM
so all u guys are using 9.3.1 and having the crash issue?
i am still using 9.2 -__-

Andyjaggy
01-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Hey Simon do you really have a DeLorean?

evolross
01-31-2008, 11:03 AM
I have had several LightWave crashes when hitting F9, and I found that simply changing the Camera type from Perspective to Classic (or vice versa) prevented the issue from happening again.

For example, if I try to render edges of an object (as in a "wireframe" style render) with the Perspective camera I get a consistant, reproducable crash with F9. Simply reloading the scene and changing the camera to Classic stops the crash. Likewise I have had similar issues with Monte Carlo crashing with Classic camera, but rendering fine with Perspective.
I just experienced this exact same problem. I was trying to render a wireframe (enabling edges on my objects in Layout) and it would crash every time upon rendering a still with Perspective camera in LW 9.3.1. Thanks for figuring out a fix. :thumbsup:

Changing the camera to Classic fixes the problem. I'll submit this to Newtek.

mattclary
01-31-2008, 11:45 AM
Found the cause: using AVI as texture causes the crashes.
Codec: Matrox Axio DVCPRO 50
Bug-around: Temporary switching off the layer in surface editor.

So, can you only reproduce the issue when Outlook is running????????

Geoff Vane
02-01-2008, 02:39 AM
No, outlook seemed to be guilty of all this, but later on it appeared not to be the case. The title of the post is outdated but I can't edit it.

Lightwave sometimes crashes when rendering with F9. Using Matrox AVI's in textures will certainly cause this, among other situations. TGA sequences can be helpfull but converting every AVI to TGA is time consuming. I just disable the AVI and animate. Later on, I reactivate it and scream-render.