PDA

View Full Version : About 3Dmax object files

wildlandalpha
01-04-2008, 01:52 AM
Can I import 3Dmax object files into LW?

RedBull
01-04-2008, 01:59 AM
No! .max is a closed proprietary format unlike .lwo and .lws.
You will need 3DSMax to use them, no other programs can open them natively.
Export as .obj or use .FBX, if you need to use with LW.

simonbrewer
01-04-2008, 02:00 AM
You'll need to export them from Max as either 3DS or OBJ format which you can then load into Modeler. The .max file format itself cannot be read by Lightwave.

jdomingo
01-04-2008, 02:00 AM
i believe you cannot import a max file into LW. 3ds can, but i think it is limited to certain number of vertices once you convert max to 3ds. there are a lot of converter out there but you have to pay for it.

DogBoy
01-04-2008, 02:10 AM
there are a lot of converter out there but you have to pay for it.
Even they generally need Max installed as well for the conversion, as the .max file contains construction history that only Max can read AFAIK.

Mitja
01-04-2008, 03:04 AM
Even they generally need Max installed as well for the conversion, as the .max file contains construction history that only Max can read AFAIK
Even stand-alone Okino, and I'm pretty sure, can't translate directly from/to *.max. You can do it only with a (okino's) plugin for 3dsmax: thus you can imp/exp from 3dsmax to lwo and lws, but only within 3dsmax. So be ready to pay!

cresshead
01-04-2008, 07:43 AM
export as fbx from 3dsmax [use their 30 day demo if you have no need to buy it]
if you want a max file in another app such as lightwave, maya etc

you import fbx with lightwave thru layout NOT modeler btw.

fbx supports mesh, bones, animation, deformation, lights, camera's, uv's

obj is mesh and uv data

3ds is mesh, lighting, uv's and animation...note 3ds files imported into lightwave modeler get stripped of all the animation and cameras due to modeler not having lights and cameras and animation.

also using 3ds you need to stick to the dos 8:3 naming convebntion seeing as it came from the dos based program called 3d studio dos and not 3dsmax