PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 9.3.1 not stable on Vista 32?

Nicolas Jordan
01-03-2008, 06:58 PM
We just got a couple of new Vista Quad Core machines at our office and so far I have had nothing but crashes about every 15 -20 minutes with Lightwave, especially with Layout. Most crashes happen when I have FPrime 3.0.1 open and move an item in layout. It is especially unstable with heavier scenes. I also noticed that Lightwave UI is randomly missing various icons under Vista.

The machine I'm using came with a ATI Radeon HD2600 256 MB. After a few crashes I thought it might be the video card so I updated the drivers etc. Still had crashes. I switched over to a Nvidia GeForce 7600 256MB and still had the same problems.

Machine Specs: Q6600, Vista 32 bit, 3GB system Ram.

Is anyone else experiencing this weirdness or is it something specific to my setup?

Nicolas Jordan
01-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Some of the navigation icons in the upper right of the 3d view ports go completely blank without showing the icon. In places where you should have <> indicating that you can click and drag are also blank. Boxes where I can put a check mark do not leave a check mark and instead highlight "on" without it.

Nicolas Jordan
01-07-2008, 10:52 AM
I installed 9.2 on Vista and it gives me different problems with FPrime. I don't get crashes anymore like on 9.3.1 but now instead FPrime just stalls out after about 30 seconds of refining. Refresh or moving an object in view doesn't anything to jump start Fprime again. Lots of Lightwave weirdness on Vista no matter what version.

Serling
01-31-2008, 06:29 AM
Well, FWIW, I'm running LW 9.31 on a Vista 32 HP laptop and Layout crashes frequently. The two most common predictors of an impending crash are clicking "Continue" (or hitting the return key) after a frame render, or trying to open the Scene Editor. Doing either of these - even on the simplest objects (a box, for instance) will crash Layout in a heartbeat.

I've read that deleting the config files may address crashing issues, but don't know where to find these. Doing a search for lw9.cfg proved fruitless. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Vista totally sucks!

CAClark
01-31-2008, 08:42 AM
If I remember from my now unused vista64 install, if you open explorer options and enable the showing of hidden files, there is a Progdata or similar folder which is hidden, and I think the configs are in there (it's a bit like XP's Docs and settings folder).

Cheers!

Andy Webb
01-31-2008, 08:43 AM
Well I've been modelling and rendering for the past 2 weeks and no crashes here.

I've had modeller, layout and photoshop all open together and it's been fine.

Having said that I have not been using FPrime and I'm running 64 bit not 32.

I have to say that I run FPrime sparingly these days, as it is likely to crash LW.

What I try to do is pause FPrime while I move something and then un-pause it, that seems to help the crashes.

Dan_NT
01-31-2008, 09:27 AM
The issue of missing icons while working in LightWave has been reported, it seems to only exist in Vista. It is recommended you always work with the latest graphics card drivers to ensure top OpenGL compatibility in Vista.

In order to delete the configuration files you go to a slightly different path: C:\Users\Your user name

Or you can just copy and paste the following into Start (or Start > Run):

\users\%username%

Nicolas Jordan
01-31-2008, 10:49 PM
Well I've been modelling and rendering for the past 2 weeks and no crashes here.

I've had modeller, layout and photoshop all open together and it's been fine.

Having said that I have not been using FPrime and I'm running 64 bit not 32.

I have to say that I run FPrime sparingly these days, as it is likely to crash LW.

What I try to do is pause FPrime while I move something and then un-pause it, that seems to help the crashes.

I have also experiences frequent crashes under Vista with FPrime mostly on very heavy scenes and usually only if I move something with FPrime running.

eureka
01-31-2008, 11:19 PM
No problems using 9.3.1 and Vista32...Smooth..
Dont use FPrime though.

zapper1998
02-01-2008, 12:18 AM
I had the same problems, and I did a Fresh Install of the OS
[Vista Ultimate 32 bit], and then installed LW..

I have Dual Booter, Win XP Pro and Vista Ult on the machine and Win XP Pro Is More Stable and Less Crashes by Far..

I always go to folder options and disable hidden folders...

Hub options save every 5 minutes....

I have Fprime, but LW 9.3.1 is just as fast, if not faster than Fprime, so I have not used FPrime for awhile..

Initium Thoth
02-02-2008, 03:57 PM
I just got my bonny new Dell XPS 420 w/ Vista32 Home Premium pre-installed.

I have two recurring issues in LightWave 9.3.1 Modeler:

1) The view panels sometimes stop rendering whilst I click and drag the panning icon or use alt-left click. Modeler with usually stutter for about 3 seconds and then re-render, but this situation can lead to a crash about 1 time in 3.

2) After about half an hour of use, I am no longer able to translate points or polys with the standard move tool(t). I can use the info window (i) to translate as needed.

I am not in a production environment, but I wanted to provide my experience also.

GregMalick
02-03-2008, 12:57 AM
Just discovered these missing UI widgets.
Vista Home Premium on a Inter E6600. 3G ram.

Seems to occur with LW7.5 LW8.5 LW9.0 LW9.2 LW9.3 and LW9.3.1

voriax
02-03-2008, 07:07 AM
I've been using 9.3.1 on my q6800 under vista 32 (ultimate) since it came out and haven't had stability issues with it or fprime.
Check your graphics drivers are up to date, and all that stuff.

GregMalick
02-03-2008, 09:45 AM
I've been using 9.3.1 on my q6800 under vista 32 (ultimate) since it came out and haven't had stability issues with it or fprime.
Check your graphics drivers are up to date, and all that stuff.

It says I have Driver Version 7.15.11.6230 in the GeFroce 8400 GS properties panel. When I tell it update the driver by searching on the internet it says the driver software is up to date.

Any other stuff I should be checking?

GregMalick
02-03-2008, 10:16 AM
It says I have Driver Version 7.15.11.6230 in the GeFroce 8400 GS properties panel. When I tell it update the driver by searching on the internet it says the driver software is up to date.

Any other stuff I should be checking?

I went to the NVIDIA site and used their update tool and discovered there is a firmware update. After updating:

NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS 169.25
Your PC currently has the latest driver installed for your GPU.
No driver update is necessary at this time.

LW still has the widget problem.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

GregMalick
02-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Here's the solution:

The widgets only properly display for me when using Windows Aero.
All other Color Schemes have widget problems.

mtvedten
06-23-2008, 05:35 AM
Mine is crashing allt the time too.

I am not using fprime and have tried it on three diffrent PCs, with Vista SP1, XP pro SP2, Nvidia Quadro and Nvidia GeForce cards...

All the same! Help!

LW have never been this unstable before!

When is LW 9.5 out from beta???

mtvedten
06-24-2008, 06:51 AM
Ok. I have found it is my objects causing the crashing.

I went back to an early model, and everyting went fine for hours.
But when i loaded in a PNG texture it crashed and got al lot more unstable after that.

So now I am animating the earlier version of the character object, and only exchanging to the model with textures before rendering.

The problem-object has two UV-texturelayers on top of each other where one is a sequense. Maybe it someting there?
The PNGs is exportet from Flash 9 with alpha. I will investigate further when I have time.

Morten

PS. This is not a Vista-issue.

Andy Webb
06-24-2008, 07:42 AM
I might be wrong here but you need to save the PNGs without an alpha channel and generate a separate alpha channel as a separate PNG.

I think I'm right in saying that LW doesn't like embedded alphas?

Ty Catt
06-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Same problems here:

Vista 32, Intel Core 2 Duo, latest card drivers, no Aero style.

I ESPECIALLY tend to get crashes when I clone particle emitters.

Here's kind of a fix for the widgets:

Running at 1440 x 900, if I "restore down" (rather than maximize) my LW interface, then drag the right interface edge to the left, the Viewport widgets slow start to pan into visibility.

Yeah, you can't reap the benfits of full screen, but you only lose about an inch and you get some room for palettes, too.

Tyler

raimondos
01-27-2009, 01:35 PM
hi i have gateway fx 6800 with ati hd4850 and im having trouble
with lightwave modeler
All time i go on press the subpatch command it crash on me, on xp does not happen to me what u guys think is the prob.
Im using a lightwave 9 at moment but to be honest it has the some problem with all other versions i have but only on vista that is on my computer.
U guys think if i put an extra hard drive with xp pro and have duel boot system can help me thank u in advenced

BeeVee
01-27-2009, 01:50 PM
No, I think the problem is that you need to upgrade your Catalyst drivers.

B

raimondos
01-27-2009, 02:08 PM
do i look on my ocmputer for them
or on the ati 4850 site

Nicolas Jordan
01-27-2009, 02:50 PM
You should be able to find the drivers you need here http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx