PDA

View Full Version : sun spot plugin ????

zapper1998
01-03-2008, 04:32 PM
I know this is a dumb question ....

is there a way to input different cities ???

besides the ones within the drop down list ????

or how would you find " lat " and " long " of different locations....the easy way i guess

michael

Lightwolf
01-03-2008, 04:34 PM
For example: http://www.astro.com/atlas
Lat and long are the Latitude / Longitude, a quick google will reveal a few more sites.

Cheers,
Mike

Matt
01-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Would be great if you could load Google Earth files into SunSpot.

In fact, a new SunSpot plugin with a little more functionality would be a nice little project for you eh Mike!

Hint hint! ;)

:D

zapper1998
01-03-2008, 07:56 PM
ya that would be cool project

new sun spot plugin

cool

Lightwolf
01-04-2008, 03:52 AM
In fact, a new SunSpot plugin with a little more functionality would be a nice little project for you eh Mike!

Lol... do you know how many nice "little" projects I have on my list? ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Matt
01-04-2008, 03:56 AM
Just the one? A SunSpot plugin that reads in Google Earth files?

;)

Though this would be a piece of cake for a man of your vast talents!

Matt
01-04-2008, 03:58 AM
You know what, I really need to learn to code again, if I wanted to code proper .p plugins for LightWave, what would be the best way to learn to do this?

And which package would be the easiest to use?

Lightwolf
01-04-2008, 04:07 AM
You know what, I really need to learn to code again, if I wanted to code proper .p plugins for LightWave, what would be the best way to learn to do this?

And which package would be the easiest to use?
Get the free MS C++ Express compiler, a copy of the SDK and a decent book on C for starters.
Work through the book, then the SDK examples. Change them a bit to saee how it works, then start to code your own.

Cheers,
Mike

Matt
01-04-2008, 06:29 AM
Thx Mike, any book recommends?

Lightwolf
01-04-2008, 06:38 AM
Thx Mike, any book recommends?
Well, I still think the "white book" is the best one, small and concise:
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cbook/
However, it teaches you the basics of C and is a reference... but no more.

I actually don't have anything else C related on my bookshelf.

Cheers,
Mike

Svenart
01-04-2008, 06:46 AM
To Lightwolf: Do you know also a good book about c++ in german?

Matt
01-04-2008, 06:50 AM
Well, I still think the "white book" is the best one, small and concise:
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/cbook/
However, it teaches you the basics of C and is a reference... but no more.

I actually don't have anything else C related on my bookshelf.

Cheers,
Mike

I have that book! From my Amiga C days! Not the second edition though.

Another thing, what's the difference between ANSI, C#, C++?

Lightwolf
01-04-2008, 06:52 AM
To Lightwolf: Do you know also a good book about c++ in german?
Nope, sorry. The only C++ related book I have is Stroutrups C++ programming language (in english). A pain to learn from though.

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
01-04-2008, 06:57 AM
I have that book! From my Amiga C days! Not the second edition though.
The first edition should be fine. It doesn't cover some of the details that ANSI brought, but other than that....

Another thing, what's the difference between ANSI, C#, C++?
ANSI C is standardized C (actually, there are two revisions, Ansic C99 is afaik the current one).
C++ is (more or less) an extension to C to facilitate object oriented programming (classes) and generic programming (templates).
C# is a standard set by MS initially and is designed for managed code. Basically a lot like Java (but using .NET / mono instead as a runtime system) - but coming from C/C++ roots. I haven't really looked into it.

C/C++ is generally used to compile CPU native code, while C# (like Java) compiles to byte code which is interpreted as it is executed (or compiled to native code during execution -> JiT compiler).

Cheers,
Mike

Matt
01-04-2008, 07:07 AM
I envy your knowledge Mike!

:)

Lightwolf
01-04-2008, 07:09 AM
I envy your knowledge Mike!
Lol... yeah, I could play coders trivial pursuit any day - I'm not sure if it helps though ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Matt
01-04-2008, 07:29 AM
Not bad for an artist!

;)

Lightwolf
01-04-2008, 07:34 AM
Not bad for an artist!

:2guns: :lol:

Oh, I just found something (linked in the Wikipedia artivle about C): http://cprogramminglanguage.net/c-programming-language-tutorial.aspx

Cheers,
Mike

Matt
01-04-2008, 07:52 AM
Hehe :hey:

Cool, thanks Mike, looks useful, and for my first program, a large image mapper type program that uses little RAM!

:D

;)

T-Light
01-04-2008, 08:02 AM
How about the O Reily c++ Black Book. Haven't read it myself but I do have another two black books (Perl and Linux Servers) and they're easily the best books for learning the subjects I've ever read. The Perl Black book is actually funny, makes learning the language a joy rather than a brain numbing experience. On c++ I have about 4 or 5 books, all pretty much of a muchness (dull dull dull...bespoke referential...dull dull...object orientated approach...prototypes...dull...rainy day...sleepy...paint dry...blah).

As I say, I don't have the c++ black book, but Google 'c++ black book review' and see what other people have to say :)

COBRASoft
01-07-2008, 04:46 PM
Hey,

Well, I'm a professional programmer myself, mainly VB.Net though. One question for LW, is the programming in C or C++, because there is a difference in possibilities... If I would have more time, I would really like to try to program some nodes or so for LW.

About C#, it is amazing, but is focused around the Microsoft (Windows) .Net platform. It makes developing user applications a lot easier due to the 'managed code'. This prevents code to be executed that could harm your computer (simply explained). This .Net platform itself is actually written in C# :). The modern Visual Basic is also based on this .Net and can use all possibilities and extensions like C# can.

Greetings,
Sigurd

Lightwolf
01-08-2008, 12:18 AM
Well, I'm a professional programmer myself, mainly VB.Net though. One question for LW, is the programming in C or C++, because there is a difference in possibilities...
The SDK is C. However, since C++ is (almost) a superset of C it can be used with C++.

Cheers,
Mike

COBRASoft
01-08-2008, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the info. Soon, I'll be going for Visual Studio .Net 2008. I'll install the C++ part too so I can start having some fun with this.

Hmmm, a material node for liquids would be so nice, because it's quite difficult to get decent (speed) results using Dielectric or Sigma... I'm just dreaming for the moment...

colkai
01-08-2008, 02:59 AM
I don't use MSVC myself, for my work I use Borland CBuilder, can the SDK / plugins be handled within this or do I have to put the beast that is MSVC on my PC?

Lightwolf
01-08-2008, 03:03 AM
I don't use MSVC myself, for my work I use Borland CBuilder, can the SDK / plugins be handled within this or do I have to put the beast that is MSVC on my PC?
It should work as expected. As does a GCC based toolchain on the PC (i.e. using Bloodshed).

You can also use MSVC Express (which has a fairly neat optimizing compiler).

Cheers,
Mike

COBRASoft
01-08-2008, 05:14 AM
I agree MSVC is a huge beast, v2008 is even bigger (more than 3GB full install). But, you have to look what it offers too. Full support for websites, XML, PDA, Smartphone, databases, ORD and even programming :)

Lightwolf
01-08-2008, 06:58 AM
I agree MSVC is a huge beast, v2008 is even bigger (more than 3GB full install).
2GB of that seem to be the MSDN alone... which is mainly reference material.

Cheers,
Mike

colkai
01-08-2008, 07:19 AM
It should work as expected.

Hmmm,
Following the info on this link...

but getting a "[C++Error] mybox.cpp(26): Declaration syntax error." on attempting to compile for line..

XCALL_( int )
Activate( long version, GlobalFunc *global, LWModCommand *local,
void *serverData )

Done everything else that was advised, can't seem to find any further info on using BCB. All my conditionals, compile on byte etc.. are set. :(

Lightwolf
01-08-2008, 07:24 AM
but getting a "[C++Error] mybox.cpp(26): Declaration syntax error." on attempting to compile for line..

XCALL_( int )
Activate( long version, GlobalFunc *global, LWModCommand *local,
void *serverData )

I don't know the Borland compiler... but, if you use the latest SDK, it should be:
int version
Because the use of long has been deprecated (it may be thet the samples haven't been changed yet).

That could be it.... just guessing though.

Cheers,
Mike

colkai
01-08-2008, 07:47 AM
Cheers Mike, if it still fubars, I may well look at DevShed, after all, free is good. :D
Plus, it seems the number of folks who use Borland is few and far between so problems may not be easy to resolve.

I'm almost sure I have tried this in the past with success, must dig out my old data DVDs and see if there is any light there. :)

Lightwolf
01-08-2008, 07:55 AM
Cheers Mike, if it still fubars, I may well look at DevShed, after all, free is good. :D

Or post the errors and get in touch.

Cheers,
Mike

colkai
01-08-2008, 08:28 AM
well, dat didn't work. >>weeps<<

Looking at this now, I am beginning to wonder if it's a VCL related thing as the VCL has an 'Activate' function and I am wondering if that is somehow wanting to "hijack" the syntax structure.

If I remark out the #include <vcl.h> line though, I get a whole slew of other errors.

I think before I waste any time on this, I'm definitely going to see if I can locate the old test run I did. I vaguely recall something about having to do a specific action due to the Borland compiler, I think I don't need to build a LIB object, but it's a nagging thought that something else is needed.

In the interim, here's my Borland project / program - naturally the paths for the SDK would be different for others but any thoughts are welcome. :)

Iain
01-08-2008, 08:44 AM
Not much of a programmer myself. It's like talking in maths to me.
Although, in 1983, I could make my name scroll across the screen in BASIC.:hey:

zapper1998
01-08-2008, 03:34 PM
Have to dig out some books..
been awhile sense i did some programming...

cool

zapper1998
01-08-2008, 03:41 PM
ok were is that sunspot plug in the sdk...

???

RedBull
01-08-2008, 11:21 PM
ok were is that sunspot plug in the sdk...???

You may be able to find some example code from SunSpot scripts in other 3D SDK's or various python scripts, (There is a Modo python script among others) i believe i do have the Lscript source for it somewhere, however the C version is not available publically, to my knowledge.