PDA

View Full Version : Battle Ship Gothic

Epita
02-21-2003, 04:16 PM
This is a ship which i have been working on and now finally finished the main peice. Different prows an weapons coming soon!

Hammer Of Justice (http://www.orkanix.com/epita/battleship1.jpg)

Tell me what you think.

Epita

sparky
02-21-2003, 04:35 PM
hard to tell what to think, it's really blurry. Could we get a clearer shot?

Epita
02-21-2003, 04:40 PM
yeah sorry, i left Digital Confusion on. I will get a new image up later. Will have to re render again. I wonder what the Poly count is???

Epita

Zombat
02-21-2003, 06:35 PM
Well you've certainly put a lot of effort into the mesh detail, however Mesh Detail is not always the thing to concentrate on. The texturing is sorely lacking, and I would advise working on it.

The lighting/background could also use some help - I would advise steering clear of the Horizon simulator in conjuction with space ships. Most ships look nice with a great, starry, perhaps nebula/planet-filled image.

Some pointers:(if suggestions above are used)

-Turn off the Ambient Light
-Use multiple light sources, one 'main light' to illuminate the ship the most (perhaps 100% luminosity) a second to complement the first,(at say, 50%) and a lower one to represent the background color - if a nebula, usually the color of the nebula. But this luminosity should be low (15% at most) (Note: Area lights work better than spot, or distant sometimes)
-check out www.ap3d.com/betterspace for some good tutorials on space and such.

Hope this helps :)

Meaty
02-21-2003, 10:02 PM
The depth of field makes it look like a miniature. Typically, when you focus on something from far away, the entire thing will be in focus.

Rory_L
02-22-2003, 12:26 AM
I would advise steering clear of the Horizon simulator in conjuction with space ships.

I reckon it`s in orbit around a water planet: you just need a few clouds and atols and your BG is done! :D

You have put a lot of effort into the modeling and I love the idea of a gothic ship. If you want any suggestions, I might say you could vary the size of your nurnies: the structures are all roughly the same size. If you look at cathedrals, or real battleships you`ll see a patern of almost fractal detail; small bits on larger bits and those on larger still.

It`s a pain, but there you go! ;)

Plus what the others said about texturing.

R

Epita
02-22-2003, 04:04 AM
Yeah, thanks for the susgestions. I havent textured it yet, its just one big texture so far. I re-rendered another scene, its a black radiosity thing (!)

Lit Battle Ship (http://www.orkanix.com/epita/litbattle1.jpg)

Epita

lone
02-22-2003, 02:36 PM
i like the 'gothic' idea too. looks wicked.

Epita
02-23-2003, 05:39 AM
Yeah, its part of a much bigger fleet with 4 different sides. This is the only one I have modeled so far. This is only a medium sized ship too! I am starting work on the textures now, so no more complaining. But to fill the gap I have made a shor movie to practive firing.

Fire Sequance (http://www.orkanix.com/epita/Fire_seq_1.mov)

Epita