PDA

View Full Version : maestro rigs

Stingslang
01-03-2008, 08:42 AM
Can you use maestro to rig characters that you won't animate with the plugin?

mccabejc
01-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Yes.

Stingslang
01-03-2008, 11:51 AM
how would you get the facial rigs to work then without the plugin?

ericsmith
01-11-2008, 02:08 PM
Maestro rigs are built with nulls, expressions, and other native lightwave functions. The facial rig is a group of morphs that are driven with nulls via expressions as well.

But the thing is, we designed the rigs to work with the control panel, so many of these nulls are hidden and locked from use within Layout. If we tried to keep all the nulls floating outside the character and selectable, it would make your view much messier and difficult to work with.

Honestly, this is why we created Maestro in the first place. As I was developing complex rigs, I quickly realized that I needed a way to access my controllers without cluttering up the viewport. I initially explored some of the free "pickers" out there, but when that led to frustration, we decided to build our own. Then, in the process, we explored the idea of not just selecting items from a control panel, but animating from one as well. The rest is history.

So the bottom line is, while you can technically animate a character rigged in Maestro without the control panel, I wouldn't recommend it, unless you're willing to modify the rig to expose the hidden nulls.

Eric