PDA

View Full Version : Liveset generator tutorial

TIMECARE
01-03-2008, 08:38 AM
As you may notice, I am from Malta, a small island in the middle of the Mediterranean sea - just below Sicily. Over here we do not have seminars and product launching activities - so we have to rely on forums and personal help from users overseas to get additional information re equipment we purchase, in this case from Newtek.

Can any body advise whether a video tutorial of Liveset Generator for Lightwave exists?

Thanks in advance

SBowie
01-03-2008, 08:44 AM
I don't think there is one anywhere yet, actually - but there are some demo projects and docs with the plugins.

I'm no LW expert, but the concepts aren't too complex if you have a rudimentary knowledge of it. The video sources are inserted into a scene before compiling the effect by means of two special surface presets, which map the full motion video onto objects your create for the purpose. It's not much different than image mapping.

TIMECARE
01-03-2008, 10:30 AM
Thanks Steve - maybe Newtek have something in the pipeline ... am fingers crossed

fbcbain
12-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Is there any documentation for the LiveSet Constructor? I've installed it and it seems like it should be simple to use.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa313/GeoBain/GCForums2/LiveSetConstructor.png

But none of this makes a bit of sense.

We have the Tricaster Studio with 2.0 upgrade.

SBowie
12-29-2008, 06:00 AM
But none of this makes a bit of sense.It is simple to use (honestly, I'd have thought it was nearly self-explanatory) - likely just some little misunderstanding preventing the light bulb from coming on. In any case, you'll find an html file in the Documentation folder installed with the LiveSet Constructor.

fbcbain
12-29-2008, 09:28 AM
It is simple to use (honestly, I'd have thought it was nearly self-explanatory) - likely just some little misunderstanding preventing the light bulb from coming on. In any case, you'll find an html file in the Documentation folder installed with the LiveSet Constructor.

I guess I should clarify.

I get the concept of an actor always being in front of the background and having the foreground image contain alpha channel so that the actor would appear to walk behind that object.

But I was hoping to create a picture in picture set. What I need is to create something like a monitor on the set. But I see no way to create this.

This appears to be a very simplified program to set up a green screening set.

Is there a way to do pip sets for the Tricaster Studio if you do not own Lightwave. It's seems to be a very simple need which doesn't justify the cost and complexity of lightwave.

UnCommonGrafx
12-29-2008, 09:51 AM
Actually, what Steve said is about it. But I'll help a bit...

You have the Aura plugin: you need to go UP in your registration page to get the LightWave Constructor set.

Try that one. I'm downloading as I'm curious. And have little to do...

billmi
12-29-2008, 10:54 AM
To expand on that even further - there are 3 tools for building a LiveSet, each with their own abilities and limitations:

1 - LiveSet Constructor - This is a stand-alone program, and it can only create a "keyhole matte" LiveSet - the Live source is sandwiched between a foreground image and a background image - it cannot scale or warp the Live source.

2 - The LiveSet Plugin for Lightwave (requires Lightwave 9.3.1 or newer) - This tool can create LiveSets that warp and scale both the Live and AUX sources, making them appear as elements in a still lightwave scene - with reflective surfaces. This one has the plus of being able to build the entire 3D virtual set within it, and render the finished LiveSet with one click of the mouse.

3 - The LiveSet Plugin for Aura (requires Aura - probably Aura2 - which is part of VT[5]) - This tool can create LiveSets that warp and scale Live, EFX, DSK and Preview sources. Although it won't generate true reflections on its own, it can be used to simulate both reflections and shadows of the video inputs it shows. This one arguably has the most power in terms of handling more video sources in the created LiveSet, but if you're building a 3D virtual set, it can only composite the LiveSet together with 3D images generated elsewhere.

JoseBurgos has posted about how he's combining the best of both worlds, rendering separate backgrounds and reflection maps in Lightwave, then using that in Aura to build the final set with true reflections and more sources.

SBowie
12-29-2008, 11:27 AM
This appears to be a very simplified program to set up a green screening set.Just to add to what was written, you're right - it is a very simplified program. If you have Aura though, and know the basics, PiPs are childs play with the Aura LivesEt plugin.

joseburgos
12-29-2008, 11:55 AM
JoseBurgos has posted about how he's combining the best of both worlds, rendering separate backgrounds and reflection maps in Lightwave, then using that in Aura to build the final set with true reflections and more sources.

As well as true refraction and fake shadows.
Making a true shadow has still eluded me but I am getting there just give me more time :)
This technique is for advance LW users.

Take care,

joseburgos
12-29-2008, 11:59 AM
Just to add to what was written, you're right - it is a very simplified program. If you have Aura though, and know the basics, PiPs are childs play with the Aura LivesEt plugin.

But I thought Tricaster does not come with Aura?
Am I wrong?
Also, for simple PIP or one "shot" LiveSets, Newtek should make a Photoshop plug-in for LiveSet.
That or go back to selling Aura stand alone.

I would still enjoy a PS or better yet, a AE plug-in for multi-shot LiveSets.

Take care,

SBowie
12-29-2008, 02:07 PM
But I thought Tricaster does not come with Aura?
Am I wrong?No, but actually I don't think I said it did. It just came into the discussion a couple posts above ...

Also, for simple PIP or one "shot" LiveSets, Newtek should make a Photoshop plug-in for LiveSet.I agree that would be welcome, but apparently this would be 'non-trivial'. I certainly wouldn't argue against a more 'universal' solution, but suspect that other factors make it unlikely in the next little while.