PDA

View Full Version : Audio Start Time-Is it supposed to work?

WShawn
01-03-2008, 12:30 AM
Hello:

I have to do a two minute animation which consists of a static shot of two vultures talking to each other. I'm using some keyframe tricks (importing keyframes of After Effects into Lightwave) to automate their beak-sync, but working with the audio in the project is being a huge hassle. If I load in the audio, then want to preview my character animation I have to start from frame 0 if I want the audio to sync with the animation. Creating a preview for the whole two minutes will take a very long time on my Dual 2.5GHz Mac G5 running LW 9.2, OS 10.4.10. If I try to preview, say, frames 600-1500, the audio that's at frame 0 is what plays with the preview.

So I thought I could export a .wav of frames 600-1500 from After Effects, load that audio into LW, then set the Audio Start Time to 600. Unfortunately, that doesn't work; the audio loads at frame 0. However, if I make a preview from 600-1500 I can cheat the sync, since preview takes the audio from frame 0 no matter what frames you're previewing. But then the audio is out of sync while scrubbing the scene.

Is this just a Mac thing?

It seems that audio has always sucked in LW. If I load 1500 frames of audio, then preview frames 0-900, the audio after frame 900 goes away and you have to reload it. If you change the length of your preview your audio goes all slowmo or something.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics
Portland, Oregon

Surrealist.
01-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Works here on my PC. If I make a preview from frame 600 it uses the audio from frame 600. If I set the Audio Start time to 600, it puts the start of the audio there and plays correctly in the preview. Have you tried to do a test on the audio alone without the scene?

WShawn
01-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Hi:

Thanks for checking on this issue for me. I guess it's a Mac thing. I loaded audio into an empty scene, created a preview of frames 600-900, but on playback it started with the audio at frame 0.

Swell.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

Surrealist.
01-03-2008, 07:00 PM
Jeez.... bummer. Sorry to hear that. I wonder if there could be anything else, like cleaning out the config. Or any other solutions. Maybe someone can try it on a mac and see.

Dodgy
01-04-2008, 12:05 AM
I've done this loads of times on the pc and it does work, so we need a mac confirm.

jin choung
01-04-2008, 12:18 AM
that's a hilarious question (thread title) though!

jin

Phil
01-04-2008, 04:01 AM
I *think* audio was generally broken in Mac LW builds since the dawn of time. I'm not certain, though. The UB LW builds are supposed to be a lot better with regard to audio and many other features, even on PowerPC chips, so it might be worth taking a look to see if it works there.

In any case, firing a descriptive bug report (with content for testing) off to [email protected] would be a great idea.

Surrealist.
01-04-2008, 11:58 AM
How about posting this on the mac forum, otherwise, anyone have a mac want to try it?