View Full Version : Need help for a BOOLEAN problem

01-02-2008, 06:18 PM
:question: Hi… I am a new LW user and I need some help on what would be a fairly small matter for an experienced LW user. I am having an issue with BOOLEN EXTRACT which I cannot seem to work out despite spending many hours on it.

I have my main object in the MAIN LAYER coloured in red and named as BOARD and the item (5 letter text) to be used as the template for the extract in a BACKGROUND LAYER coloured in white and named as TEXT. I then choose BOOLEAN EXTRACT OK. Basically I am trying to create a cutout of text in an elongated cube. The text object has been bevelled slightly and flipped to face the cube and I have made sure that it intersects with the main object.

Now everything seems to work fine except that the result can only be seen in WIREFRAME VIEWS and cannot be seen in the shaded view. It also shows as an outline in SHADED WIREFAME. It also does not show at all when the object is saved and take across to LAYOUT even though I could see the cut-out name in Surface Editor.

I hope I have explained the issue clearly and I would appreciate help on this. Thanks heaps.:help:

01-02-2008, 06:43 PM
I'm not quite certain what you mean by Boolean Extract. The standard boolean opeartions are union, intersect, subtract, and add. It sounds like you're trying to "carve" the text out of the surface of your main layer object. If so, you'd be subtracting the text from the main object.

Have you tried the same operation with a simpler set of objects? Perhaps the surfaces of your text, or the resulting object after the boolean operation, are flipped, in which case you should make sure you have nothing selected (which is equivalent to selecting everything) and type "f" for flip.

More info, or a screen shot might also be helpful...

01-02-2008, 07:17 PM
Hi Rudy.. Thanks for your quick reply... and you are right I was doing a SUBTRACT. And most importantly you were also correct as my resulting objects (after the boolean) just had to be flipped.

So now all is well and I spent so long trying to figure it out myself (me so dumb).

Thanks heaps.

01-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Glad you sorted it out, roydee. Sometimes there's a simple solution, sometimes there's not. Half the fun is figuring out which is which.

Oh, and by the way, don't forget to merge points (hotkey 'm') when you do boolean operations. Otherwise, you may have a bunch of polygons separated from the subject object. This is most apparent when you try to subpatch the end result.