PDA

View Full Version : Radeon Bug still in Panther??

solar power
07-09-2003, 02:01 AM
I realize its a bit early for this...but I've suffered plenty under 10.2.6.

I've been running Panther [Developers Preview] for a while now on an iBook .. and its very nice... no problems with the OS as of yet... but the little Book doesn't have the guts to shoulder any LightWave work.

Even with the risk of switching an OS in the middle of production, I'd do it in a second if I'd heard any reports of better ATi performance under Panther.

Anyone?

peace,

//sp

Ade
07-09-2003, 06:48 AM
Hopefully I can try it tonight...*wink wink

mlinde
07-09-2003, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by solar power
I've been running Panther [Developers Preview] for a while now on an iBook .. and its very nice... no problems with the OS as of yet... but the little Book doesn't have the guts to shoulder any LightWave work.

If you install LW on the iBook, and run a couple of straightforward tests, you can find out. Look at the bug list and see what the obvious issues are for the iBook (one is that Modeler fails to launch). If your iBook is capable of running LW (not work fast, mind you, but run), then you are likely to have a chance. However, I'd be cautious about using a preview version of an OS (even a legit one) in a full workflow -- you'll find out what isn't quite right just as your deadline approaches.

Ade
07-09-2003, 08:44 AM
I here IP over firewire is included in the network funtions.

solar power
07-09-2003, 12:00 PM
hmmm... hadn't noticed.. but there is now a new "IPv6 Address" Config dialog in the Network Prefs. Anyone know what this is?

Yeah... LW runs on the iBook fine.... but I'm working on scenes that will either crash on load or upon render on any G3 with any OS with any amount of RAM... so can't really do any testing with my current crop.

So, I hope to hear good news soon from all the LW users on the cutting edge. Panther is sharp...

solar power
07-09-2003, 02:40 PM
Oiii!!

I just took a gander at the mac Bug workshop... and low and behold the secret weapon to slay the iBook Demon revealed itself to me:

[ 006 (7.5+)
JPEG.p causes crashes on machines with less than 16 MB VRAM.
This issue affects all Mac laptops produced before Summer 2002, and iBooks into December 2002. I reported this about 4 months ago. The workaround is to deinstall JPEG.p and allow QTTools.p to handle jpeg images. ]

I am now able to use all the G3's I can find to render scenes again!!

p.s. Fair warning to anyone about to upgrade to Panther developer. The "archive and install" option will preserve your existing user accounts and applications....for the most part....some apps don't work anymore:
http://www.macserialjunkie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16825
some apps will require re-instal.

That said, apple *does not* recommend installing as your main system.(I did np)

That said, Panther ROCKZs.... nice and smooth =)

Long Live LW MAC!

hehe.regards,

//sp

toby
07-09-2003, 06:57 PM
and the raedon bug? gone?

solar power
07-10-2003, 04:49 AM
Ok, ok,,,, really not confirmed yet... but

This isn't the same machine that I model with....which has been causing me great amounts of pain and grief in Modeler caused by the mysterious Modeler+10.2.6+ATi bug. And I haven't done enough testing to be able to give any really trustworthy results.

But so far it's lookin good. I tried to reproduce the "rotating any textured object in persepective view causes severe system lockup" scenario in Modeler without probs even with the Hub and Layout running.

Just to be sure I set all 4 viewports to textured & perspective view and began rotating the models wildly back and forth, even after switching to and from Layout.... but alas I could not destroy the system. =)

Soo... still a bit early to celebrate.... but..... thus far it seems.... PANTHER SAVES !!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Anyone know how to read the specs of the ATi card.... what does all that mean??

Hardware Overview:

Machine Model: iBook
CPU Type: PowerPC 750 (33.11)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 600 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 256.00 KB
Memory: 384.00 MB
Bus Speed: 100 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.27f1
Serial Number: UV1414NTLPY

ATY,RageM3:

Type: display
Bus: AGP
Display Type: LCD
Slot: ATI
VRAM (Total): 8 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x4c46
Revision ID: 0x0002
ROM Revision: 113-XXXXX-130

Color LCD:

Resolution: 1024 x 768
Depth: 32-bit Color
Built-In: Yes
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes

Ade
07-10-2003, 11:09 AM
Running panther on a b/w g3, so far cant reproduce the modeller bug.
I have noticed ATI drivers are 1.2.26.

If anyone knows a sure way to crash lightwave modeller with that radeon bug tell me and ill do it.

Let me say Panther is nice..

policarpo
07-10-2003, 10:52 PM
ugugughuguhguhguhguhguh <drool>.....Panther....so far Jaguar is running like a dream on my Powerbook....i can't wait to start using Expose and all the other cool Panther features when it's released.

Man...after being off the Mac for 6 years to gain 3D skills on the PC i am finally glad to be back on a mac and on Jaguar!

i'm so glad Steve came back home.:D

seasterling
07-21-2003, 01:30 PM
Anybody tried the ATI 1.2.26 drivers in 10.2.6?

policarpo
07-26-2003, 10:07 PM
where do you see these drivers?
ATI 1.2.26 drivers in 10.2.6?

i just experienced the ATI bug crash under 10.2.6 and i hate it. i am afraid to model now for fear of losing work.:mad:

Zarathustra
07-27-2003, 08:25 AM
I had no idea you were a closet Mac Addict, Policarpo! Welcome.

Ade
07-27-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by policarpo
where do you see these drivers?
ATI 1.2.26 drivers in 10.2.6?

i just experienced the ATI bug crash under 10.2.6 and i hate it. i am afraid to model now for fear of losing work.:mad:

Policarpo to view driver versions goto About this mac/more info/extensions

In other words the system profiler has it all, even application versions..

policarpo
07-27-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Zarathustra
I had no idea you were a closet Mac Addict, Policarpo! Welcome.

yep...just bought a 1ghz PB and don't think i'll be getting a new PC any time swoon. :)

and as far as the driver issue, i was wondering if ATI 1.2.6 driver was availbe for Jaguar anywhere?

silvergun
07-28-2003, 09:28 AM
This ATI bug is a pain in the arse. I think Apple and ati just can't be bothered to get it sorted. Maybe it's just another cunning ploy to make us all upgrade to Panther. But until then were left to do nothing and wait till september the 16th for 10.3 to come out. Then again, that may still have the same problems. Curses go to you Apple and ATI. My next purchase will be an Nvidia Rendering Card for my new G5.

Ade
07-29-2003, 07:36 AM
Im waiting for the quaddro series to put into my DP 1.25.

Stuff ATI, i used to be with them in their dark years...Cya to that.