PDA

View Full Version : can anyone explain............

caustic wave
07-09-2003, 12:57 AM
what in the world is a dongle, is it a software,hardware, a dog,a plug what?????

BeeVee
07-09-2003, 02:27 AM
A dongle is something without which you cannot legally run LightWave, except in demo mode...

B

meshmaster
07-09-2003, 08:30 AM
Contact Newtek if you need a Dongle. It's a hardware item, with a software driver... you will probably need a usb port to use it.

caustic wave
07-09-2003, 08:55 AM
i still dont understand, is there a picture of this thing.

what if you dont have a dongle, what limitation does it cause physically or mentally?
thanks

BeeVee
07-09-2003, 09:09 AM
If you don't have a dongle it either singles you out as a LightWave Discovery Edition user, or someone who uses a cracked copy of LightWave...

You may know it by another name, such as Product Lock or hardware key.

B

Rei
07-09-2003, 11:33 AM
heh people asking for dongels.. :D

A dongle is a little peice of hardware that goes on the back of a USB or Parallel port. the parallel one is about | | thick, with a male and female end on, and screw attachements.

All major apps have dongles, they work the same way as CD for games.

heh, remember that guy a while ago asking for a CD code for 6.5... :D!

uberslayer™
07-09-2003, 08:28 PM
If you have enough of them your box gets further and further away from the wall:D It's something the sentinal driver looks for before it will open the application in full mode. By "cracked" BV is saying you have a copy where some "astalavista" or "crack spider" geek has decompiled the application, and written a patch removing or altering the code that does this so it doesn't look for the dongle. I remember (vaugely) someone saying something about Sentinal having something to do with US military data security (like launch codes). If this is ture it makes me worried how quickly an acquaintance of mine goes through his little crack binges (openly mocking alias wavefront by sending them taunts on release day). Not that I condone this behaviour, but everyone needs a hobby:) Also seems funny that because there is an actual physical "hardware key" that you can see, it somehow gives credit to this being more secure than a product key or similar. It's all just a matter of changing code to get around it. I dunno I think the only way to keep it all truely secure would be some kind of remote access thing. Even then, there are some clever dicks out there.

meshmaster
07-10-2003, 08:15 AM
It's amazing how easy they are to find. I don't condone their use, and don't use em... but it's amazing how many of them that there are that you can find on google, and how many little 14 year olds are using them to get around security on programs that cost me thousands to obtain.... kinda makes me angry that the security isn't stronger because those little tikes are going to end up taking away my chances to get a [email protected]#%!$^!#%&@$&*

On the up side - the feds are starting to crack down and so is http://www.bsa.org and it's very difficult to totally erase proof of illegal software use on a harddrive. I, along with several others often use bsa's online form to report threads in forums that we find about use of illegal software... too bad there isn't a real job out there to track down people using them all day. It wouldn't be hard to do - problem is that as soon as they knock down a warez site, it's still around in google's and several other engines' caches...

Hopefully, palladium will help curb this stuff, and from what I read the other day, palladium may be integrated into linux so as to make it a little more powerful!!!

NiPeR
07-10-2003, 10:40 AM
I gonna buy Lightwave Educational in some weeks, will I get a dongle when I have bought it?

I don't really get what a dongle is. Is instead of a CD-key?:confused:

Rei
07-10-2003, 11:31 AM
its like a CD for a game, you need to have the CD/dongle in to play/use the game/app. no cd/dongle no program. CD goes into a CD drive, a dongle goes into a parrallel port, or a USB port.

as a result, there are CD cracks, and there are Dongle cracks.

korn_kid
07-10-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by caustic wave
i still dont understand, is there a picture of this thing.

what if you dont have a dongle, what limitation does it cause physically or mentally?
thanks

A dongle is a hardware lock usesd to protect the software from being illegally used by software pirates.
You wont be able to run the software without the dongle (hardware lock).
Here's a picture of my parrallel dongle:

caustic wave
07-11-2003, 04:54 AM
im gonna buy lw real soon,maybe in a 3-4 months. but I just hope buy then LW will have better dynamic then the one im using for 7.5. I hope it matches up to maya`s daynamics.

thanks all for your help.

IM NOT A THIEF-I ONLY EXPLORE NEW FRONTIERS

gjjackson
07-11-2003, 06:01 AM

IM NOT A THIEF-I ONLY EXPLORE NEW FRONTIERS

If you're using the Discovery Edition that all well and good. But if you're using cracked software then YOU ARE A THIEF. Until I could affford the software I used Blender, which IS free. Using that still teaches the basics of modeling/animation. In fact I found LW much easier since I started with it.

This part about New Frontiers sounds a lot to me like Hacker talk. As far as I'm concerned ALL HACKERS should spend a very minimum of 15 yrs in federal prison. I had to work 43 hrs straight through to get a server back up because of these jerks.

caustic wave
07-11-2003, 05:13 PM
This part about New Frontiers sounds a lot to me like Hacker talk. As far as I'm concerned ALL HACKERS should spend a very minimum of 15 yrs in federal prison. I had to work 43 hrs straight through to get a server back up because of these jerks.

hey, im not a hacker, when i purchased this lw from my friend, i payed 400 bucks,because he knew i was using maya and mimic and other 3D apps. so i am new to lw. my job is a system operator, i deal only with unix commands on HPservers. BUT I JUST LOVE GRAPHICS. im doing this as a hobby, my regular job is to boring and the minute i started out LW, I loved it. If I am serious about a job,I will evetually start my own bus: and yes I will buy LW or MAYA or realflow.
I am so sick of adobe, I designed 68 wallborders in adobe 7 with the help of maya artisan, I spent 6 thousand on manufacturing cost. So when im serious, i am serious.

thanks all for your help.

I had no idea LW forum people are so sensitive about a dongle question, its true, we graphic people are sensitive from birth.

but this will not curve my attention from LW, this is my passion, forget about the money,my regular job pays my bills, not LW.

Aegis
07-12-2003, 06:27 AM
when i purchased this lw from my friend, i payed 400 bucks

You paid $400 for a crack of LightWave ? :eek: Some friend...

meshmaster
08-18-2003, 08:20 PM

No offence, but I highly resent that. All that the term "Hacker" really means, at least to me and a LOT of others, is someone who "hacks" aka someone who figures out ways to stumble upon new ways of doing things with computer software, hardware or some combination of the two... There are white hat hackers (those that are just curious about a lot of different things and notify those that are foolish enough to not use security to the max like they should be), black hat hackers (those that use hacking abilities to do things not so legal but some of which may still be somewhat ethical depending on where you are and what laws may or may not apply to you), red hat hackers (aka those that know a lot about linux), and others...

I consider myself a "hacker" but not a black hat hacker - shucks, I don't even consider myself a "script kiddie" - I know a little (which is a LOT to others - I have an entire 6 foot tall, 4 foot wide bookshelf full of computer books on both sides of the shelf all the way up and down) about computers because I've spent tons of money on books, spent tons of time at Barnes and Noble, and have spent TONS of money and time on acquiring software (legally) and have learned a lot from dealing with computers on an everyday basis at work and back in my college days. Your closed minded view seems EXTREMELY similar to Senator Hatch's (http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,59305,00.html) view of the world. If you'd allow yourself to become more of a hacker, it's highly likely that the multiple security systems that you have in place and backup systems that you are constantly backing up will keep you from having to redo your server ever again.

A couple of days ago the system at the place that I work, which has a LOT of confidential info on it (I work at a Hospital) caught the MSBLAST worm because the system admins there didn't take the time to download the latest security patches or put up strong enough firewalls. There were at least 15 security patches missing from the machine that I was working on. It was a recent install, but still, that's a LOT of security that should have been there that was not. For some strange little reason, that worm didn't touch my home system - which is constantly getting patched up, backed up, and tightly closed down with several firewalls... funny how my keen eye on what is going on on my own system keeps bad things out. Personally, I think a LOT of system admins are just plainly lazy. Computers are a FAST technology - newer versions of everything comes out quickly, including security patches... not keeping up with the times on this fast internet can lead devastation. If you can't keep up, maybe you should be looking to another career... I started my career studying traditional art in college (BFA in Studio Painting). I did that because I know that that sort of knowledge won't die next year like my know how would have done if I'd taken a graphic design path in college studying photoshop 3 and flash 1, etc... More people should do that sort of thing, and get a grip. Just because a server goes down, the world is not going to end... If Hackers are going to spend 15 years in life as a minumum, there will be very few people that don't end up in jail - most of those would be people from third world countries... of course over there you have to know how to "Hack" together real things and not just software so that you can make your buck go a little while - for instance using a knife for farming, eating, and killing animals for food when it's only says on the package that it came with that it's a Kitchen knife...

mattclary
08-19-2003, 08:01 AM
hey, im not a hacker, when i purchased this lw from my friend, i payed 400 bucks,because he knew i was using maya and mimic and other 3D apps.

So you bought a legitimate copy of LightWave for $400 and you don't know what a dongle is? I can't stand liars. Just keep your mouth shut, this is the wrong board to be discussing your warez.

You will get banned from this board for discussing warez here.

prospector
08-19-2003, 08:55 AM
Meshmaster..I totally agree
there are quite a few windows 95 and 98 programs that I liked
and had to find ways to hack them to win2000 as the programs no longer are made.

If LW ever goes to a single app, then I would continue with the one I have, even if I have to hack it into any newer OS that may come along.

Hacking is neither good nor bad

just the use is

and 400 isn't really out of the realm of a good deal.
And I had no idea what the h*ll what a dongle was (and ran a legitimate copy of LW) because the Toaster board WAS the dongle, but was never called that.
So it is possable that unless you know in advance, how would you know when you got one?

Rei
08-19-2003, 11:58 AM
Talking about the speed at which things get patched
Valve was releasing anti-hack updates to its software (VAC) at around 1 every 30 mins, each time the lead hacker (joolz) was breaking it. 30 mins to hack VAC is dang hard.

jus wana say that hackers are normally some of the best software coders, with too much free time.

And a note to NT, anything is crackable given enough time and power, so unless you want to keep writing dongle upgrades its a lost battle trying to stop them.

Bog
08-19-2003, 01:34 PM

Hmmm... you're sounding distinctly fundamentalist there, chap. Given that "Hacker" means "Someone who delves deep into systems" in my lexicon, it looks like I'm due for 15 years in Leavenworth, and all I do is pretty graphics for a living.

Anyways, that aside, a cracked copy of LightWave - naughty. Turning up on the net.doorstep of the people who wrote said software and asking for help - stupid.

That's like stealing someone's car, then phoning them up and asking them to explain the stereo. Come on, wake up and smell the sunshine.

Rei
08-19-2003, 01:52 PM
This has happened before, and it will happen again. Sad

Rei - Refusing to learn how to spelll

glassefx
08-20-2003, 10:58 AM
For some strange little reason, that worm didn't touch my home system - which is constantly getting patched up, backed up, and tightly closed down with several firewalls... funny how my keen eye on what is going on on my own system keeps bad things out. Personally, I think a LOT of system admins are just plainly lazy.

I am a sys-admin for a biz with 25+ PC's and its all on 100baseT ethernet which is wired to a T1 and I NEVER have gotton a virus one.

NO Firewall, just NAT on Cisco Router.

NO system resource hogging ANTI-VIRUS GARB.

I've been doing this for (+/- Internet connection) 16 years and I have ONLY had ONE script virus.

It was Bugbear two weeks ago and it happened because some idiot (who is a ANTI-WIGGIN freak who updates his Norton garb daily reading an e-mail that he should not have.)

Basically, Chill.

"whatch me get a virus now" LOL!

skoal!