PDA

View Full Version : URGENT: UV mapping a wrapped present?

Deux
01-02-2008, 09:56 AM
'Wavers,

Eek, need some lifesaving help if possible...

Imagine an Xmas present, wrapped in a paper with a repeating pattern. I need to UVMap a sub-patched or frozen poly 'box' with no distortion - i.e. as if the wrapping paper was unwrapped and flattened into a single piece of paper. LW's default UV tools don't have a cubic wrapping method which is the sort of thing I need.

Does anyone know how I might achieve this very quickly using another method or third party UV tools?

Thanks,

-: Deux :-

othornton
01-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Use PLG's UV tools:

http://homepage2.nifty.com/nif-hp/index2_english.htm

-Oliver

Deux
01-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Oliver,

Thanks for the reply. Any idea specifically how I would use these plugins to achieve this as I have never used them before and time is pressing on me at the moment.

Thanks for your help,

druitre
01-02-2008, 10:58 AM
You can also use the standard 'texture guide' (UV maps>edit UVs>more>texture guide); this does cubic mapping.

(select 'texture guide', if you don't see anything, hit 'n' for numeric panel, select 'cubic' from menu, hit 'make UVs', drag blue box to resize UVs. You'll end up with all four sides mapped on top of each other, drag them in UV view to your desired place.)

druitre
01-02-2008, 11:00 AM
There's a 'texture guide II' plugin as well that has some more functions and some more automations, look for it on flay.

good luck!

Andyjaggy
01-02-2008, 11:14 AM
I never noticed the camera option in the texture guide, that could be potentially usefull.

colkai
01-02-2008, 11:50 AM
I never noticed the camera option in the texture guide, that could be potentially usefull.
Proton shows the use of this in one of his tutorials, like yourself, I never realised this feature.
That said, what little UV I do, these days, I generally use the PLG plugins, but good to know the other option is there.
I'm hoping the 9.x cycle gives us better native handling of UV's too.

Deux
01-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Folks, what speedy and informative replies!

I never realised these plugins/features even existed and they might well have bailed me out. I'm about 90% close to getting what I need to achieve with these pointers.

Many, many thanks,

SplineGod
01-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Texture guide II is much superior to the one that comes with LW.

geothefaust
01-02-2008, 07:15 PM
Texture guide II is much superior to the one that comes with LW.

Definitely, ever since you told be about it (what, 2 years ago now!?) I haven't touched the native LW UV tools.

That and PLG unwrapper. What a precious gift from the great bearded Zeus.

THREEL
01-03-2008, 06:01 AM
Also, you just might be able to model your flat piece of wrapping paper, and then, make one-or-more morph targets, and/or use bones to fold your paper around your present. Then, you could just apply your image to the flat paper normally without using UVs.

tHREEL, but you can call me AL.

ashleynott
11-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Hi guys, I am in desparate need of assistance here. I am in charge of the digital sign at work and am responsible for all of the advertisments. Anyhow, my boss wants to advertise a house he is selling and have it be a Christmas present unwrapping itself and the house popping out or something to that nature. I have no idea what to do and need a tutorial of some sort. I have Illustrator, Flash, Photoshop, etc. Can someone please help? Thank you so much!

nickdigital
11-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Hi guys, I am in desparate need of assistance here. I am in charge of the digital sign at work and am responsible for all of the advertisments. Anyhow, my boss wants to advertise a house he is selling and have it be a Christmas present unwrapping itself and the house popping out or something to that nature. I have no idea what to do and need a tutorial of some sort. I have Illustrator, Flash, Photoshop, etc. Can someone please help? Thank you so much!

First I would suggest making a new thread for your problem. This way people can find it without getting sidetracked from a different thread.

You could start here:
http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113973