PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Comparison! Need help ASAP! :)

AdamAvenali
01-02-2008, 09:54 AM
hey all,

link to comparison:http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductComparePrint.aspx?SubCategory=32&CompareItemList=N82E16834114399%2cN82E16834220255&N=2030260032

well it's been a while since i have posted, too busy doing work i guess haha. so, here we have a new year, which means new chances to write stuff off on taxes haha. i am looking into a new laptop and have boiled it down to these two. as you can see mobility is not the purpose as both are pushing the 10 lb mark, but what do you expect with high performance desktop replacements. i like the toshiba for the dual video cards in SLI, but the Asus has the faster processor, RAM, and 7200 RPM hard drive, but the toshiba has the number pad on the keyboard (which i use ALL the time for numeric inputs in lightwave) and the harmon/kardon speakers (which i had on my last laptop and are amazing), but the Asus wins in screen resolution. so as you can see, i keep going back and forth haha. i just dont know if the 7200 hard drive, ram, and processor will be the same as having two video cards. also as a note, there will be no rendering done on this machine, thats what the farm is for haha. well any insight or help is appreciated!

thanks,
adam

arrow1234
01-02-2008, 11:18 AM
hi there
did u look at dell's web site too? i found out they always have good buy there and i would say with the same price u can get a higher spec with Dell

hope it helps :)

prospector
01-02-2008, 03:20 PM
ASUS
From what I have been reading about the sli and LW here on the discussions is...they see no difference to minor speed increases in spinning objects.
I would rather have the ram, cpu speed, and the resolution.

Speedmonk42
01-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Forget the SLI.

Get the faster processor and higher screen resolution and more RAM.

starprog
01-03-2008, 12:15 AM
I second that, processor, higher res and more ram definatly!

DiedonD
01-03-2008, 12:45 AM
In others words, Id go for HP, as Im about to do in a month or so. RAM, processors and graphic card is all well balanced, and its cheaper then what you describe too.

Speedmonk42
01-03-2008, 01:18 AM
You can also get the XPS 1710 with XP or Vista if that is an issue for you.

Mitja
01-03-2008, 06:25 AM
I have an HP zd8369, it's a museum piece by now, but still does it's job. What I have noticed is that hard disk is a curse! Try to find one with 7200rpm! You can have the newest processor, plenty of ram, but the HD with 5400rpm (laptops generally are equipped with these) slows everything down. Obviously, it depends on what do you need your laptop for.

AdamAvenali
01-03-2008, 07:56 AM
thanks for the input everyone! i will mull over it a bit more and get to ordering!

guardonduty
01-03-2008, 08:36 AM
get his Model. I have bought 8 for several clients and I have one personally. I have a Dell desktop same price ($899) and this Model HP does rendering in Half the time the dell does. I was surprised when I timed each model. I have never had a single service call on the HP laptops for 3 years now. Being in the Computer Service Business for over 18 yrs, Dell makes the best desktops, Hp makes the best Laptops. I say this because our company hates hardware services calls. We want to focus on 3D animation and learning more sophisticated software. Hardware Service calls simply "get in the way".

http://www.shopping.hp.com/series/category/notebooks/dv9700t_series/3/computer_store?jumpid=in_r329_personalization/browse1/home_SDP