PDA

View Full Version : Can you "lock" movement?

colkai
01-02-2008, 03:13 AM
Hi Y'all, quick question.

You know how you can lock rotation using limits? Was wondering if there was any way to lock movement in a similar fashion.
My guess is, I'd have to set up some expressions but was wondering if there was a better / quicker / easier way.

In a nutshell, I have a door with a bolt on it, I have constrained the rotation so the bolt can only rotate in a logical fashion, but I'd like to lock down it's movement on the "slide" axis so it only moves a logical amount.

I know I could set up a morph for opened / locked, but I want to animate the opening and I want to use multiple copies around the model so that would mean isolating the object. As it stands, it's part of the model and driven by a bone.

Have attached a test scene so you can see what I'm up to, any advice, as always, gratefully received.

Bog
01-02-2008, 05:58 AM
I'd'a thought using the square brackets to set maximum and minimum rotation values would do that for you, Col.

*edit* Read the question first, Mark. *facepalm*

I'm pretty sure there's a clamp control in the expressions that'll do that for you, Col.

colkai
01-02-2008, 06:50 AM
*edit* Read the question first, Mark. *facepalm*
Chuckle! :D

colkai
01-02-2008, 07:11 AM
Mark,
Ta! - tis indeed the Clamp() that'll do the job, just tried it, (after figuring it out hehe).
Knowing me, I would of ended up using some convoluted constraint, always nice when someone actually knows about expressions. :)

Must get into this at some point, I'm sure it'd make things easier if I actually understood these things. :D