PDA

View Full Version : How to change the grid size in modeler?

cinemacell
01-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to create a real world representation of an object and would like to know how I could change the grid size in modeler.

For example: if I wanted to change the grid size in modeler to 4 inches - this would make each square in the grid of the modeler 4inchx4inch - so if I had wanted to make a 4 inch box I would just line it up to the grid in the right and top views.

And - and another question:

If I wanted to know the dimensions of an object - let's say a box I created - where do I look for that information - or a sphere - if I had created a sphere freehand and wanted to know it's radius (and dimensions?), how could I do that?

Thanks.

parm
01-02-2008, 01:32 AM
Just zoom in or zoom out. Using the full stop or comma keys on your keyboard.
The grid size will update. As displayed in the bottom most left corner, of your view port.

You can find the dimensions of your objects using the measure tool. Detail> Measure> Measure Tool.

If you have the LW Cad plug-in. It can display the dimensions of your models.

Highly recommended for modelling in real world dimensions.

Surrealist.
01-02-2008, 02:18 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to create a real world representation of an object and would like to know how I could change the grid size in modeler.

For example: if I wanted to change the grid size in modeler to 4 inches - this would make each square in the grid of the modeler 4inchx4inch - so if I had wanted to make a 4 inch box I would just line it up to the grid in the right and top views.

And - and another question:

If I wanted to know the dimensions of an object - let's say a box I created - where do I look for that information - or a sphere - if I had created a sphere freehand and wanted to know it's radius (and dimensions?), how could I do that?

Thanks.

One more thing about grid size is you can change how it displays in the Units tab of the Display Options (d on the keyboard). This will effect how it increments up and down during the zoom based on your Default Unit setting.

Keyboard/Mouse short cuts for Zoom Pan and Rotate (perspective view).

ALT CNTL LMB drag left/right for ZOOM (all views).

ALT LMB drag left/right up/down for ROTATE (in perspective).

ALT SHIFT LMB drag left/right up/down for PAN\ (in perspective).

ALT LMB drag left/right up/down for PAN (in ortho).

If you memorize these and use them they become second nature and also work in the Graph Editor in Layout. :hey:

Regarding Size of object. You can get a bounding box return of the size of it by using the Absolute Size tool. You can change the size of it too with this but the default setting returns the size.

Also there is the Info tool on points (i) to get a points location. You can use this with RMB click menu to copy and paste into the value field of the Value tool (v) for precise placement of a polygon or point selection based on the location of a point.

Then there is the Absolute Measure tool. (Detail Tab/Measure). This will return the distance between two points.

cinemacell
01-02-2008, 11:21 PM
Thanks a lot Parm and Surrealis,

I tried the measure tool as Parm suggested and that worked quite well - although I would like to see my measurement (in the bottom left hand corner) in inches as opposed to feet

- is there a way of doing that?

cinemacell
01-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Oh and where could I get the LW CAD plug-in?

Surrealist.
01-02-2008, 11:58 PM
LWCAD (http://www.wtools3d.com/) 1.5 is a free for some people who upgraded to LW9 a while back. Depends on if and when you did.

Silkrooster
01-03-2008, 06:38 PM
You can find the latest version of LW Cad at http://www.sharbor.com/
Silk

ramccombe
01-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Thanks a lot Parm and Surrealis,

I tried the measure tool as Parm suggested and that worked quite well - although I would like to see my measurement (in the bottom left hand corner) in inches as opposed to feet

- is there a way of doing that?

In the display options panel in modeler, click units and change to english. The display in the lower left corner will display in feet/inches. As you zoom in and out it changes to feet and under 1 foot it changes to 6" then 2" etc. Hope this helps. :thumbsup: