PDA

View Full Version : Advanced UV mapping?

c_olin3404
07-08-2003, 11:12 PM
hey,

I know the basics of uv mapping, like, i can UV map a simple chair, but i need to UV map the model attatched to this post.

i dont know where to start?!?!? :confused: :confused:

do i seperate it in surfaces? layers? and i need it to be pretty exact, because this is a gun for a FPS.

Danner
07-08-2003, 11:26 PM
you should select pieces of your model and make them an UV, Move the UV out of the way, then select another piece, and make another UV but use the same name, place it where you want it, repeat for all pieces.

BTW you model is very wasteful in poligons in some areas.

iandavis
07-20-2003, 07:17 PM
the accepted way of doing it... the way the NX-01 is done for example.. is ONE BIG image UV mapped over the whole of the geometry. (well, with NX-01, there is a map for surface, one for hanger doors, one for ports, one for windows, etc)

this gun could live with one image, unless you want other elements involved, like specular or bump.

Steps:
create a surface for the gun.
create a UV texture after you have the gun selected.
Creating the surface select 'atlas' (make sure one of your windows is changed to 'UV')
make this window full screen and take a screenshot. Use this screenshot to paint the image map.

In layout simply apply the UV map to the gun proper.

The trick here, and it is a trick, is figuring out which bit on the screenshot goes with which bit on the gun. I often select key areas in the geometry just before I take the screenshot, thereby showing a map of where these areas are on the flat UV projection. :)

if this is a FPS then a single image will be the way to go. You should be able to get away with a 512x512 pixel image (or less)

Another point is that in order to position and move your UV map around before screenshotting you can unweld all points and move it about to taste, then weld points agian. cool eh?

cheers.

BeeVee
07-21-2003, 09:43 AM
Rather than taking a screenshot, export the object as an EPS and only select the UV Texture viewport. That way you can get the lines without the grid and they are scalable so you can put them in the imagemap size you like - you aren't limited to your screen resolution...

B