PDA

View Full Version : More Ram for G5

Glendalough
12-30-2007, 11:05 AM
Thinking of ordering extra memory for a G5 as a stopgap measure until Apple brings out the next generation of Mac Pros, hopefully having upgraded the video cards.

As far as upgrading the memory, was thinking of putting it up to 3gb from 1.25. Wondering is this worth it, costing about 175 dollars from

http://www.ramjet.com

Was hoping for advice from anyone here who has done this sort of thing. Is there going to be a problem with the original Apple ram not working with the Ramjet memory.
Was going to have 2 x 1Gb paired ramjet with 2x 500 (512??) paired of the original Macintosh memory. There are only 2 pairs, 4 slots in this first issue G5.

Any advice would be very welcome as hoping to order this immediately before I leave the country.

bassmanjam
12-30-2007, 12:35 PM
I haven't used ramjet memory before, but I haven't encountered many issues with 3rd party RAM. The weirdest problem I ever encountered was a certain computer that didn't like 512 sticks.

You'll definitely notice a boost in general performance (i.e. programs launching faster).

Go for it! RAM is a fairly inexpensive upgrade.

Glendalough
12-31-2007, 01:33 PM
I haven't used ramjet memory before, but I haven't encountered many issues with 3rd party RAM. The weirdest problem I ever encountered was a certain computer that didn't like 512 sticks.

You'll definitely notice a boost in general performance (i.e. programs launching faster).

Go for it! RAM is a fairly inexpensive upgrade.

Yes, think I'll go for it. Thanks for the advice!

toby
12-31-2007, 10:56 PM
Seems like everybody orders from either ramjet or owc :
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/
I think owc is a little cheaper, but ramjet may be better

I'm surprised that you lasted so long with so little ram. I have 2.5gb (2x2 g5) and I run out fairly often. You should see a clear performance increase. Will help your resale when you upgrade too.

And it should work with the built-in ram no problem. Apparently you need to alternate them, orig. stick, new stick, orig. stick...

3dworks
01-01-2008, 04:43 AM
not sure from where you are posting, but have a look at those prices from my preferred RAM seller in germany:

http://www.dsp-memory.de/v1/catalog/default.php?cPath=1_9022&

they are shipping to EU only.

btw, going for the max in a G5 doesn't hurt for sure: every gig of RAM really speeds up operations, especially when using big projects and when having modeler and layout open at the same time!

cheers

markus

dsol
01-03-2008, 11:58 AM
I usually buy my RAM from Crucial - and it's always worked flawlessly in all my Macs. I currently have 6GB DDR2 in my Quad G5 - very useful when you do background rendering! Anything less than 2GB is a world of pain - especially in After Effects. It's good for speedy rendering in LW too as you can launch multiple render nodes on the same machine to eke out every ounce of CPU power from your mac (particularly if you're rendering simple - but long -sequences)

Glendalough
01-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Thanks guys for all the answers!

toby, yeah I really don't know how I've got by so long. Maybe because I only ungraded to Lightwave 9 last August. Think I had this naive idea to learn LW 8 inside out, but wow, this was false economy as far as wasting time and should have come to grips immediately with 9 when it was first released.

3dworks: Thanks for the info, Yes, I looked at that link and though I have 50% German blood from way back when, I can't quite work out what's going on. But think it best now to buy from the euro zone when I get back. (I'm in New Hampshire visiting family in what I believe is America at the present, though I couldn't be sure ...this time looks like everyone is standing around waiting for 'regime change'' -hope things get better).

dsol: Thanks for writing and recommendation, yes, think Crucial is the way to go, got a recommendation for them from someone else as well. Just wondering, there's 4 choices for my model,

http://www.crucial.com/eu/store/listparts.aspx?model=Power%20Mac%20G5%20%28Single% 201.6GHz%20DDR%29

The first being the closest to what Ramjet was offering except the Crucial one is 2.6V and the Ramjet is 2.5V. Maybe just phone them and hope someone there knows all about it. Have always, except once, got ram put in by tech people so pretty ignorant about this, better learn now!

dsol
01-04-2008, 03:55 AM
All the memory listed on that crucial page is compatible with your G5, so go with one of the cheaper ones (as you can't tweak or overclock your G5 as far as I know).

The second one on that list looks a good bet:
2GB kit (1GBx2)
CT445274 DDR PC2700 CL=2.5 Unbuffered NON-ECC DDR333 2.5V 128Meg x 64

Costs the same as the first one, but has a slightly lower latency (Cl2.5 as opposed to 3). Might as well get it if it costs the same!

avkills
01-04-2008, 04:54 AM
RAM is good. I have 6GB in my G5 at home and it really really helps.

-mark

Glendalough
01-05-2008, 09:55 AM
RAM is good. I have 6GB in my G5 at home and it really really helps.

-mark

Ram is good -great! I take it my G5 has a few more years of usefulness, even after I get the Macpro. Funny, it still looks just so brand new, really can't see any deterioration of any sort on the case, not that this has anything to do with the workings inside.

avkills
01-06-2008, 10:25 AM
Yeah I am going to wait after MacWorld and see if they beef up the Mac Pros before maybe buying one. Then again, I should probably just pay off debt.

-mark

Mike Borjon
01-07-2008, 08:37 PM
I've been working with Ramjet memory for about two months now on two computers (4 GB on Mac G5 - up from 2 GB) and (9 GB on MacPro - up from 1 GB) and its been a pleasure dealing with them.

The 4 GB purchase had one defective chip so RamJet mailed out full replacement without me even having to send the others back ahead of time, they mailed an RMA label along with the new order. The replacement memory works fine.

The 8 GB purchase has worked fine from day one.

Hope this helps out.

Mike

Glendalough
01-12-2008, 07:52 AM

Hope this helps out.

Mike

Thanks Mike!