PDA

View Full Version : How to morph my office desk?

IMI
12-29-2007, 06:00 PM
I don't know about you all, but my desk is a mess. Too much clutter. I have my two main PC's on it, four monitors, two sets of speakers, a modem, an external HD, wacom tablet, microphone, wires going everywhere... I wish I had a morph target that put my keyboard out of the way and my wacom in front of me. ;)

Ever wish you could create morph targets for things in your life, with names like clean, neat, organized, Big Raise, non-combative, serene... away visiting at her sister's house... :D

Steamthrower
12-30-2007, 02:50 PM
Put your PC's under the desk perhaps? Buy a signal splitter to use just one set of speakers at a time? Screw the modem underneath your desk? Get one of the keyboard slider things that pivots it underneath when you're not using it?

Or hire a personal valet?

IMI
12-30-2007, 02:57 PM
Put your PC's under the desk perhaps? Buy a signal splitter to use just one set of speakers at a time? Screw the modem underneath your desk? Get one of the keyboard slider things that pivots it underneath when you're not using it?

Hmmm... that's just crazy enough to work. :D

Actually I built my own desk. I had to, since I couldn't find anything large and sturdy enough to support all this crap. No sliding keyboard drawer, and I always hated those anyway. PC's under the desk makes it more difficult to get at the DVD drawers, plus I'd have to crawl under every time to unhook everything every time I wanted to add something.

Nope, I need to learn how to apply morph targets to my life. :D

mrpapabeis
12-30-2007, 09:32 PM
Put wheels on it.

Steamthrower
12-31-2007, 06:15 AM
What you really have to do is find out the velocity of an unladen mouse, and know just how much room it requires to wield. Then base everything else off that. Besides doing what Mr. Papa Beis suggested, the only other option I see is to cast a Levitation charm upon the things you don't require all the time.

IMI
12-31-2007, 12:25 PM
What you really have to do is find out the velocity of an unladen mouse, and know just how much room it requires to wield. Then base everything else off that. Besides doing what Mr. Papa Beis suggested, the only other option I see is to cast a Levitation charm upon the things you don't require all the time.

What do you mean? An African or a European mouse?

Mr Maze
12-31-2007, 12:46 PM
Morph targets for real life would be nice, but I vote that Newtek makes a real life Control/Command-z a priority.

My desk is also an atrocious mess.

geothefaust
12-31-2007, 12:56 PM
Hey IMI, you wouldn't happen to have photos of your desk would you? I've been thinking about building my own desk for the same reason. I need something special to accomodate my needs! Any ideas would be neat. :)

Since it is a media center as well, I've been thinking about going with a wooden small box to hold the PC and surround sound receiver, add a pole in the back with arms for the monitor(s) and for a big enough platform to hold the keyboard, mouse, an Wacom 6x8. So then if I need to stand or sit I can adjust the height and whatnot. It would be great methinks.

Edit: Oops... Or just real life morph targets... :D

IMI
12-31-2007, 01:43 PM
I don't have any photos, no, and my digital camera is a piece o' crap. Takes great pictures outside during the day, but horrible inside without a whole lot of light.
It's nothing special anyway - functional, not pretty. Yellow pine 2x4's for the framing, with a sheet of 3/4" plywood for the top. All painted in semi-gloss black. It's 8 feet long, by 3 1/2 feet deep and 32" tall at the front, 33" at the back. I intentionally gave it a slight incline for when I spill coffee. ;) I don't know how much it weighs, but it's got to be close to 200 pounds. Everything is screwed together with 2" wood screws, in case I have to take it apart.
That's for me and my graphics stuff. I have a standard comp desk for work-related stuff with another PC for me and the little lady.
I hate those slide-out keyboard drawers. Having my keyboard up on top, higher, is far more comfortable, and I can type all day without any wrist strain at all.

Cageman
12-31-2007, 02:13 PM
I don't have any photos, no, and my digital camera is a piece o' crap. Takes great pictures outside during the day, but horrible inside without a whole lot of light.
It's nothing special anyway - functional, not pretty. Yellow pine 2x4's for the framing, with a sheet of 3/4" plywood for the top.

Actually, it would be fun if you could take a picture and post it here. Now that we know your camera is crap for indoor shots, we know that we shouldn't be picky with whatever we see in the picture. :)

IMI
12-31-2007, 02:55 PM
Actually, it would be fun if you could take a picture and post it here. Now that we know your camera is crap for indoor shots, we know that we shouldn't be picky with whatever we see in the picture. :)

Alright, tomorrow sometime. I need to buy a new camera anyway, and I could make this the excuse I've needed. ;)

Steamthrower
12-31-2007, 04:03 PM
Definitely, you need to provide renders when you want critique on morphs. That's kind of like elementary stuff.

"Hey guys, critique my desk!"
"Which desk?"
"The one I didn't show you! Har har har!"

Cageman
12-31-2007, 04:46 PM
inigo07: Hahahaha! :)

IMI: Sound great! Looking forward to some pics! :)

EDIT: Oh, and... Happy New Year... we just moved into the new year here in Sweden! :)

IMI
12-31-2007, 06:43 PM
Alright, here you go. But you can barely see the desk.
See, I told you my camera sucked. ;)

j/k... :D

HAPPY NEW YEAR !! :jam:

Steamthrower
12-31-2007, 07:04 PM
Har har har. Like your bookshelves. My...what an old guy you are. Snazzy blue suit.

IMI
12-31-2007, 07:22 PM
My...what an old guy you are.

Yeah, the job did that to me. Can you believe I'm only 42? :D

geothefaust
12-31-2007, 07:44 PM
:O You look just like Jimmy Carter! :lol:

PS - Slide out platforms on desks!

Steamthrower
12-31-2007, 10:29 PM
That's what comes from staring at CRT screens your whole life. At 42 you get solid gray hair and wrinkles. It's good that LCDs are becoming widespread while I still have my sight.

Happy New Years all, and may you have enough jobs to pay for larger desks, larger screens, larger cars, larger families, larger plates, and all that!