PDA

View Full Version : Creating a good system

Ron Kirby
12-29-2007, 04:27 PM
I've got VT5. The system I'm currently running...I've had since late VT3-early VT4. Just wondering if some of you folks were ready to upgrade a system what would you have? Would you move to ide drives.
I don't do any live stuff. Almost exclusivley post production.
Thanks
Ron

ted
12-29-2007, 05:25 PM
This goes back a few months, but most everything is still valid.
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69123

On our new system I finally gave up on paying for SCSI and went with SATA ll.
I don't have measured results, but can tell you it's way sweet to be editing on the new hardware.

Mark Patrick
01-02-2008, 06:36 PM
After Battling a Dual Xeon for years and never having a good day
without crashing, blue screens, lockups, I just upgraded to a single Quad processor on a Gigabyte board with four gig of ram. I am running an IDE (with Sata Convertors) four drive raid right off the motherboard. It is incredibly stable. I have shut down my SCSI stack permanently and will be using
SATA only from here on out.

Mark Patrick
01-02-2008, 06:46 PM
I have dropped to a much smaller case and am currently running everything with one power supply, instead of the two before. I will be running a new SATA II raid in four separate (fanless) ESATA external enclosures. My system is literally FANLESS and is wonderfully SILENT!!! My older server had 12 fans and I hated to turn it on. This system lean and smooth.

jsanfilippo
01-02-2008, 10:33 PM
Wow - that's cool. My dual xeon, scsi array monster is a huge case, too... with about the same number of fans. it's like a turbo prop in my control room. :P

I'd love to follow your lead sometime. :)

Keith Gandy
01-02-2008, 11:02 PM
I agree, Jamie. The heat produced in the control room from the scsi setup is noticable in the summertime since we do not use air-conditioning. Going Quad with Sata seems to be a viable alternative. The only thing that I have gleemed from reports to this point is that most are using the setup for post-production, but I haven't seen a whole lot of reports using a Quad in a live setting.

jsanfilippo
01-03-2008, 07:07 AM
No a/c in the control room - YIKES! You are a better man than i am! :)

I *think* Jef Kethley has reported good success with Quads in a live scenario.

PIZAZZ
01-03-2008, 09:17 AM
Yes, Jamie, your thinking is right. ;)

We have been having great success with single Quad core based VT5 systems with lots of SATAII storage.

The rackmount cases we are using are nearly silent. Actually quieter than my TIVO at home. So unless you need the rendering horsepower of a Dual Xeon for Lightwave, AE, or similar the single Quad solutions are fantastic and even super great.

I need to post some pics of our latest system designs for both portable and fixed applications. Maybe later today.

jsanfilippo
01-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Man Jef, that sounds great. You've worked on my machine and know that it rivals a B52 for air displacement! :)

Maybe it's time to turn my existing host into a workstation and have you build a new host for my vt.

I'd love to see those pictures. Do you do the SATA array in the same case or separate? Would it all fit into a standard rack shelf (remember mine was too deep - we had to build a separate rack for it!)

I'm not *really* ready to build a new host, but it's fun to dream anyway.