PDA

View Full Version : Camtasia video files question

lesterfoster
12-29-2007, 09:26 AM
How can I edit my Camtasia video files in ToasterEDIT. I would rather edit in VT because I like how it works much better than the Camtasia Editor and I am much more familiar with VT. But I cant get my camtasia video files into vt edit. .

I have made a lot of screen recordings of an object that I am working on with LW. I want to send the recordings to a friend but due to the amount of screen recordings, I want to edit them all down to about 10 or 20 minutes.

Any one have any suggestions on how I can do this? I am using VT 4.5

Thanks for any help.

Cageman
12-29-2007, 10:34 AM
When recording you have the option of outputing either as AVI or CAMREC. If you open the recording window, select Tools->Options in the menu you should be able to find it under the General TAB. The default is CAMREC, but changing it to AVI will allow you to open it in just about any app out there.

Camtasia has a limited editing suite, so you can edit your recordings and then output as whatever format. But I suggest you change to AVI in the recording options so you can use your Toaster to do the editing of future videos.

goodrichm
12-29-2007, 10:44 AM
I don't know how you can use your existing video files that are already in Camtasia format, but you could record them again and save them in *.AVI format. VT4.5 should then be able to use them with no problems.

Here's how to set up Camtasia to record in .AVI format:

For Camtasia Studio ver 3.1.2,

- At Main top menu bar, select: Tools->Camtasia Recorder
- On Recorder's window top menu bar, select: Tools->Options
- Under "File Options", select: "Save as AVI"
- Press "OK" button.

Also recommend that you upgrade your VT4.5 to 4.6c. It was very stable for me. I'm now trying to learn VT5. VT4.6c is a free upgrade that you download from NewTek registration system website under "My Downloads" tab:

http://register.newtek.com/

Hope this helps. I just started using Camtasia myself, so maybe some of the power users will jump in and help out...MG

goodrichm
12-29-2007, 10:46 AM
Oops, sorry Cageman for repeating your advice. You're quicker on the draw...MG

SBowie
12-29-2007, 10:56 AM
It's a while since I looked at it, but can you not import Camrec files into Camtasia's editor and export them as AVI's again?

goodrichm
12-29-2007, 11:12 AM
Looks like you're right Steve!

Under File Menu Options, there are 3 options:

- "Save Project As" This option only lists Camtasia format for my version.
- "Produce Video As"
- "Save Audio As"

I'm still a noob at this program...MG

lesterfoster
12-29-2007, 12:45 PM
Thank’s everyone. You can bet that from now on, I am going to make sure that the “AVI” setting is selected in Camtasia from now on.

What I am doing is two part. First, I had to make an object with LW for my boss, And second, I recorded how I made the object so I can show Sensei “who is the maker of EasySPLINE” how I am using his plug-in and how he can improve on his plug-in. I have about 15 or more hours of video that I want to condense down to about 15 to 30 minutes. I don't think Sensei has the time to watch everything and that much video is rather large to send to Sensei over the internet.

I think I stumbled on what I am looking for and it seems to work, so I want to pass this on to every one.

I had just started to do what goodrichm had suggested to start to convert the files. The quality was not all that good to be re-edited with VT-Edit and it takes a long time to convert. But than I accidentally right clicked on one of the clips in Camtasia‘s “clip bin” and up pop’s a menu from the mouse with the option to “Extract Camrec Contents...” So I tryed it and it works. It converts the clips with very good quality and converts them rather fast. As I have about 22 clip recordings for this one model that I made. I thought, can I do a batch convertion. And yes. I just selected all of the clips that I wanted to convert and Camtasia converted all of them. It took less than 5 minutes to convert all of the clips.

Now I have them all in vt edit.

Thank’s everyone for the help and I also hope this helps others.:)

goodrichm
12-29-2007, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the work flow tip! Definitely bookmarking this...MG