PDA

View Full Version : Seeing the size of a selected object?

JeffrySG
12-28-2007, 11:06 PM
Is there any way to see the size of a selected object (or selected elements)?

For instance, if I were to select a box, it would be nice to be able to look in the numeric palette and see the width, height, and depth? Or if I were to select a non-uniform object I would see the width, height, and depth of the bounding box.

Thanks!
Jeff

IMI
12-29-2007, 12:06 AM
Not that I know of, but you can use the Measure Tool. Detail tab>Measure>Measure Tool. You draw out a line in any viewport, and the dimension is displayed in the Position box, at the lower left.
That's in Modeler. I don't know if there's a way to do it in Layout.

EDIT:
Man, it's getting tiresome having to use LW as two separate programs....

JeffrySG
12-29-2007, 12:54 AM
^hmmm... I wonder if it would be possible to write an lscript that simply had a small little palette that you could keep open that showed the X Y and Z size of whatever you had selected.

IMI
12-29-2007, 01:40 AM
Don't know, really. Sounds plausible though. ;)
You could also always draw a box around something and watch the 3 dimensions in the Numeric panel though. Would be quicker than using Measure.

THREEL
12-29-2007, 01:48 AM
^hmmm... I wonder if it would be possible to write an lscript that simply had a small little palette that you could keep open that showed the X Y and Z size of whatever you had selected.

I just got to looking in Modeler (I'm on v8.5), and I think I might have found something. Under Utilities>Plugins>Additional, I found a Plugin called Absolute Size. This gives you the Absolute Size in the X, Y, and/or Z of selected Polys or Points. If nothing, or everthing is selected, it gives you the Absolute Size in XYZ of the entire object. I found this at 6th from the bottom of all the Additional Plugins, after I scrolled all the way to the bottom of the list.

BTW--I'd like to have a Lscript that you can copy the XYZ coordinates all at once and be able to paste these coordinates all at once. I always have to do that one direction at a time.

AL

IMI
12-29-2007, 01:52 AM
Huh!
I never noticed that before. Pretty cool! Thanks for the heads up. :)

zardoz
12-29-2007, 02:50 AM
with lwcad you can add a permanent measure/angle 'gizmo' to your edges

JeffrySG
12-29-2007, 11:08 AM
I just got to looking in Modeler (I'm on v8.5), and I think I might have found something. Under Utilities>Plugins>Additional, I found a Plugin called Absolute Size. This gives you the Absolute Size in the X, Y, and/or Z of selected Polys or Points. If nothing, or everthing is selected, it gives you the Absolute Size in XYZ of the entire object. I found this at 6th from the bottom of all the Additional Plugins, after I scrolled all the way to the bottom of the list.
BTW--I'd like to have a Lscript that you can copy the XYZ coordinates all at once and be able to paste these coordinates all at once. I always have to do that one direction at a time.
AL
Thanks Al!
I never noticed that plugin. It is pretty cool. You can change the size of the selected items as well with it. I only wish it was more interactive so you could leave it open all the time and just type in numbers without having to close it up. Kind of like a live measure/adjust box.
Thanks for that find!!! :D

And yes, it would be cool to be able to copy/paste all the XYZ coord. at once.

--Jeff

Surrealist.
12-29-2007, 12:47 PM
Yes. Absolute size is a good one. There is also Absolute Measure in the detail tab to return the distance between two points.

Mr Rid
12-29-2007, 08:06 PM
Absolute Size can be found in Layout Modeler Tools as well.