PDA

View Full Version : Need Help configuring Lightwave 8.5 that came with the VT-5 upgrade !

wtdedula
12-28-2007, 05:14 PM
Hello All;
I just finished installing VT-5 along with the Version 8.5 of Lightwave that came with the VT-5. Something seems to be wrong - I don't seem to have many commands and features. Only a few primatives, etc ... ! Is it possible that none of my plug ins got installed when LW was installed ? Yesterday, I had to install a plug-in to import a graphics backdrop image when I would expect that to all ready be installed. Today, I am looking for the "Rounder" command but can't find it in any of the menu's. But I see it is a plug-in.

Can anyone direct me what to do to get this system working properly and with all of the commands intact ? I am anxious to work on some Lightave tutorials over the wekeend but can't do anythng until I figure out how to load LW properly. Thanks.

Tim

IMI
12-28-2007, 08:31 PM
Hello again, Tim.
It is possible the plugins didn't get installed, and it's possible that you don't have "autoscan plugins" selected. The autoscan plugins option is in Modeler in the Options Panel (letter O on the keyboard, by default).
Try this in Modeler: Press ALT+F10 to open the Configure Menus panel. On the right, press the Search button and type in Rounder. That should locate it for you. You'll probably find it under the Additional menu on the left. All plugins not installed into a menu somewhere will be black, but those which are will be grayed out. Beware though - some plugins are named something different in the menus (and therefore in the tutorials), which can make it difficult and annoying. I think Multishift is one of those in 8.5, used to be called Supershift or something like that, but not installed into a menu. Can't remember. but I do remember that Rounder was not included in a menu and had to be manually installed into one.
Then, pick a spot on the right where you want it, such as highlight. on the right, under another tool and click the Add button. Now Rounder will be where you put it.

Alternatively, in Modeler, under the Utilities tab, at the bottom, under the Additional dropdown, you might find lots of goodies. ;)
This works in Layout, too.

IMI
12-28-2007, 08:37 PM
Where I wrote above, "Then, pick a spot on the right where you want it, such as highlight. on the right, under another tool and click the Add button. Now Rounder will be where you put it." is supposed to say, Then, pick a spot on the right where you want it, that is highlight it on the right, under another tool and click the Add button. Now Rounder will be where you put it.

Hey, if you want some seriously good LW 8 training, check out Dan Ablan's Inside LightWave 8 book, which comes with around 5 hours of videos, and also Dan's LightWave 8 Courseware, which is something like 15 hours of videos. great stuff.
http://www.3dgarage.com/default.aspx

wtdedula
12-30-2007, 05:38 AM
Hi IMI;
Thaks for the great help again. I actually figured it out. I selected "Edit Menu Layout" and then selected "Default" and and all of the commands (including rounder) suddenly appeared. Not really sure why I had to do that, though. I would think "default" would have been selected at install-time. But anyway, things are now there and were I would expect them.

Thanks for the advice on the courseware. I actually have a few of Dan's "Inside Lightwave" books. In fact I just checked and I see I have "Inside Lightwave 8". I also bought Dan's Lightwave 9 Signature Courseware since I also have a stand alone copy of Lightwave 9. Thanks for the link, though as I see he has all of his courses on sale. I may pick up one or two more, though. In the Version 9 courseware, he spends a lots of time on the new Node Editing and I would rather get some more instruction on basic modeling techniques. I am really liking the Viper Modeling tutorial from Kurv Studios and can't wait to finish the model and start the surfacing. It is really, really good so far and I'm just getting started.

Tim

IMI
12-30-2007, 05:48 AM
Oh well you're more than prepared then. ;)
Remember what I said about Supershift when you come across it in 8.5. (and you will come across it). It was actually replaced by a tool called Multishift, which will bevel out whole groups of polygons as one, or as individuals, with all kinds of other options and a "history". But if memory serves, it has to be manually replaced through the Configure Menus panel, as Supershift won't work at all. The plugin itself is called modelertools.p.
If you haven't already done so, save your menu as a cfg file through that panel. If you have to reinstall LW, or if your Configuration file for Modeler gets corrupted, you'll be glad you did. ;)