PDA

View Full Version : Three reasons?

NiPeR
07-08-2003, 05:36 PM
I'm very close to buy a copy of the Student version of Lightwave. But can you give me 3(or more) reasons why I should buy Lightwave instead of other 3D programs.

I'm a newbie.

Macet01
07-08-2003, 08:55 PM
Jeez.....this is turning into a hard sell :D

Let's do this the old fashion way......

Reason 1: All the capabilities of the application. Many are documented and many are not. There are just too many functions to talk about in a post like this one. Just take a look through the support forums and at the art that people have generated. For me, that was enough.

Reason 2: Lightwave is an excellent tool to learn with. I personally use Lightwave as a hobbiest. I understand so much more about modeling and animating than I did a year ago. That is with no formal training, outside of attendance during a session of a training tour, and no artistic ability, but just creativity and an almost psychotic obsessive tendency to keep trying until I get something right.

Reason 3: Are we at three already :p ? Community, community, community. How can I make this clear. Oh yeah....Community!!!!. I visited many, many other boards for the other applications before making a choice. The Lightwave community is the most open and helpful that I have come across. They give away their secrets and openly help anyone who asks. And guess what.....all for free!!!!!

Bonus Section!!!!!

Reason 4: Price would have to be a consideration along with the educational lilicense. The price is right and none of the functionality has been locked out. What can be better.

Finally Reason 5: 'Cause I said so :D

I think that about covers it. Now, where do I get my application for the Newtek marketing team?

NiPeR
07-09-2003, 05:23 AM
Thank you Macet01!

I have been thinking and I decided that I gonna buy Lightwave. It looks to me to be the best allround program. Nothing is missing in the Educational version and that's very nice. I read some threads on CGTalk and now I'm very sure that I gonna buy it. :D

siproductions
07-10-2003, 11:08 PM
Welcome to Lightwave. You won't be disappointed. I'm pretty new myself and I have enjoyed every bit of it.

The three main reasons I got lightwave are as follows:

1. Price.
2. Toolset and features.
3. Users work. The art I've seen done in LW looks just as good as as any work done in a 3d package that costs twice as much.

I didn't realize that there was such a thing as a LW Community until I bought the program, but man I wouldn't trade it for the most expensive program out there. :D

toby
07-11-2003, 01:13 AM
Reason 6.
English buttons! No crypto-iconography to distract you from 3D.

No more looking at little squares saying "what's that little squiggle?"

freedik
07-11-2003, 03:33 AM
I'm not very experienced LW user. After using LW a little I tried 3ds MAX. After this I realized that LW is a good tool indeed. It's really clear what is going on when working with it and everything is logical. Couldn't say it about MAX. Prepare to search for some plugins though, unlikely some other 3d programs LW lacks some essential functionality. But don't worry, few plugins will take care of this.

And yes, support is excellent. I often get answer to my questions on this forum in only few minutes!

caustic wave
07-13-2003, 06:16 AM
welcome aboard freedik.
I congragulate on your arrival of LW and the potential your mind could with this.
Now about the plugins, if you ever need some plugins, holler at me, and I will be happy to send them to you all for free,
so when you make that big project, you can thanks all the peple on this forum.

cheers, and good luck mastering your dream.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

when the sun shines, you shall see caustics

Aegis
07-13-2003, 06:43 AM
Now about the plugins, if you ever need some plugins, holler at me, and I will be happy to send them to you all for free,

Only the freeware ones I hope :mad: www.flay.com is a great resource for free plugins - If you're openly encouraging piracy on these boards you won't be welcome here...

caustic wave
07-13-2003, 07:16 AM
I designed these plugins myself,with the help of my friend,
C++ helped me, thanks to bill gates. but our new invention is we take our APP, which is
Fontographer

Topic copyright 1995, 1996 by Macromedia Corporation.

and we design outstanding eps images.generate them as PS type 1 or 3.
I mean we can create complex mesh of flower, or a decorative frame, no matter how complex, or anything, in this program.
save them as a font file, so when you press the letter A, a nice beautiful flower pops up on the screen. now the problem is: Lightwave can not handle those types of complex vertices,or should i say points. your system will freeze up and nothing will happen. so we must take this font and convert this into a mesh , something very similar to realflow on how it creates a mesh so lightwave reads it, no matter how complex your fluid is,<HINT HINT> the result, outstanding. saves you thaousands of hour to create a complex rose or flower, or old arabian frame, classic door handles. the beauty of LW, is that is tranforms this font into a 3d object, or should i say 2d object into a 3d world. freak out your clients
remember
Fontographer
Topic copyright 1995, 1996 by Macromedia Corporation.
work with vertices and points,,basically if you transform this into a 3d app, it well read it as a mesh also. and then press your TAB.

with this concept, ther is no limit. this is very good for logo design,
or home decore, or metal english decore style, you have seen them, classy designs with a lions head, imagine doing that complex object in 2 min!! there will be pre-defined eps font, maybe a hundred designs.

maya, watchout!!