PDA

View Full Version : Rendered frames don't save

dfidler
12-28-2007, 06:23 AM
All,

I must be doing something wrong here because i haven't seen complaint of this anywhere in the forums (at least nothing current).

-= Problem =-

Files do not save to the output folder when pressing F9 or using SN. But, they do save properly when I do an F10 render.

-= Environment =-

1. Core 2 duo, 2GB RAM - XP Pro SP2
2. Q6600 - 4GB RAM - Ubuntu File server running Samba (3.0.26a) - my master node
3. VMWare Server Guest VM running XP Pro SP2 VM (2 dedicated processors) - runs LWSN.exe

-= Repro Steps =-

1. Open modeler, create a basic box, save as testbox.lwo
2. Open Layout, load testbox.lwo
3. Render -> Render Globals -> Output
4. Setup output settings per the following (attachment "Snap4.jpg"):

* "Save RGB" checked,
* path - P:\Lightwave\some\content\directory\testbox.lwo,
* Type - "LW_JPEG(.jpg)"
* Format - "Name_00001.xxx"

5. Save scene (zzz-testbox-delete.lws)
6. F9 to render

See attachment 1 (snap1.jpg) - Notice the "Output Files: none"

7. F10 to render

See attachment 2 (snap2.jpg) - Notice the "Output Files: RGB"

Checking the share shows the files.

8. Start VM and LWSN node render
9. Main computer -> Render Network Rendering, add scene and "Screamer Render" - See "Snap3.jpg" for the LWSN output. (files are not saved to the disk even though LWSN says that they are).

-= Additional Notes =-

* This started happening last night (when I upgraded to 9.3.1); it worked fine in 9.3.0.
* I also upgraded my XP Pro SP2 to the latest set of windows patches (so I'm hoping this has nothing to do with it)
* P:\ is a mapped network drive running off of a Samba 3.x share from the Ubuntu server (mentioned above). User has full permissions (both my LW master node and the LWSN nodes are using the same account to access the share; I can create documents on the share from either computer).
* After the u/g to 9.3.1, I copied all of the 9.3.1 Programs and plugs to P:\Lightwave\_bin (my samba shared drive); LW*.cfg all reference one area of P:\ for one thing or another
* The drive that P: is mounted on is not out of disk space (see Snap5.jpg)
* Quota's on the linux server are disabled
* No errors in syslog or smb.log or in lw-node1.log (the samba log for my lwsn VM)

So..... Anyone else seen this?

Cheers,
Dave.

THREEL
12-28-2007, 08:55 AM
Hi David,

I'm only on :lwicon: v8.5, but everytime I render just one frame at a time
(F9), I must save the image file manually. It's only when you specify saving an animation out as individual RGB frames in render Options that the frames will save automatically, when you do a F10 render, but then it only saves all of the frames that you specify in the Render Options dialogue box.

Technically, you could render only one frame at a time by specifying just one frame to render in the Render Options dialogue box. You would still have to use F10, and then you'd have to keep changing the frame in the dialogue box. So, it wouldn't be practical.

Maybe, I'm missing something, but I've never been able to save a F9 render automatically.

Hope this helps!

tHREEL, but you can call me AL.

dfidler
12-28-2007, 09:02 AM
Well, I just uninstalled LW and reinstalled 9.3.1; same problem. Going to uninstall and install v9 and u/g to 9.3.0 and try again.

RollerJesus
12-28-2007, 09:02 AM
Use F10.

dfidler
12-28-2007, 09:05 AM
Maybe, I'm missing something, but I've never been able to save a F9 render automatically.

Hi Al,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, now that you mention it, I think that might be the behavior that's expected. I think that it used to save it with an F9 (back in 6 maybe; *shrug*).

That's one down (soon to be an RFE, Request for Enhancement, I guess).

Now, to work out the LWSN problem. I am pretty sure that it's supposed to honour the Save RGB options. ;)

Cheers,
Dave.

RollerJesus
12-28-2007, 09:11 AM
On the SN issues, I believe you're right. There's a lot of help on here regarding LWSN.

Make sure your content directory, config file and save location can all be accessed by all nodes.

dfidler
12-28-2007, 11:30 AM
On the SN issues, I believe you're right. There's a lot of help on here regarding LWSN.

Make sure your content directory, config file and save location can all be accessed by all nodes.

RollerJesus,

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I'd checked that stuff. I'd backrevved to 9.3.0 and got it working again but in doing so I think that I've found the problem.

For some reason, LWEXT9.cfg isn't getting loaded properly when layout starts. I do the following:

1. Start Layout
2. F11 -> Sort Plugins by File
* All plus show as being from C:\Program Files\Newtek\Lightwave 3D 9\Plugins
3. Clear Plugins, Scan directory - P:\Lightwave\Plugins
* All of the plugs are now from P:\Lightwave\Plugins
* 900+ plugs in 300+ files loaded
3. Exit Layout

I go and have a look at my new config in P:\Lightwave\_bin\config and sure enough, all of the plugs in LWEXT9.cfg start with P:\\....

4. Start Layout
5. F11 -> Sort by file
* All of the plugs are back in from C:\Program Files\Newtek\Lightwave 3D 9\Plugins. wtf? :-(

So for some reason or another, Layout isn't reading LWEXT9.cfg properly on startup (or something). I double checked my startup shortcuts and they seem to be right:

* Workstation Shortcut : "C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave 3D 9\Programs\lightwav.exe" -c"P:\Lightwave\_bin\config"

* LWSN Shortcut : "P:\Lightwave\_bin\_lwsn_start.bat 1"

* _lwsn_start.bat :

--- BEGIN ---

@echo off

REM *****************************************
REM Purpose: Starts the LWSN rendering node
REM
REM %1 = Node Number
REM
REM Author: David Fidler
REM
REM *****************************************

REM -- Throw an error if the user doesn't supply a node number
REM
if "%1"=="" %then% goto errornode

set job=P:\Lightwave\_bin\command\job%1
set ack=P:\Lightwave\_bin\command\ack%1
set cfg=P:\Lightwave\_bin\config
set node=%1

echo.
echo *****************************************
echo NODE %node%
echo ack: %ack%
echo job: %job%
echo cfg: %cfg%
echo *****************************************
echo.

echo Initializing Node %1
echo init >%job%

echo.
echo Starting ScreamerNet (LWSN): Node %1
echo.
LWSN.exe -2 -c"%cfg%" %job% %ack%

goto end

:errornode
echo "ERROR: Must specify the node number as the first parameter"

:end

--- END---

As an aside, the LW docs say that you should run:

LWSN.exe -2 -cS:\Lightwave\Config ...

... and it says that you should use the script startlwsn_node.bat as an example. Except that example in startlwsn_node.bat is:

LWSN.exe -2 -cE:\content\lw3.cfg

I'm thinking that should probably be a doc bug at the very least.

Anyways, I'm still trying to figure out why my Plugins keep getting loaded with the wrong path when Layout starts; *sigh* :(

Cheers,
Dave.

dfidler
12-28-2007, 11:41 AM
So for some reason or another, Layout isn't reading LWEXT9.cfg properly on startup (or something).

PS - To be more precise, I think that this is why my files aren't saving. When I start Layout up, it overwrites the LWEXT9.cfg file with the wrong paths and LWSN goes to look for:

C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave 3D 9\Plugins\input-output\jpeg.p

And of course it can't find it because the LWSN node doesn't have the program files locally, they're at P:\Lightwave\Plugins

If I'm right, then I'm kind of annoyed because that means that LWSN reports that it writes the file, fails to load the appropriate plugin and just fails silently. :thumbsdow

Cheers,
Dave.