PDA

View Full Version : Maya and Lightwave

Stingslang
12-27-2007, 09:45 PM
Is there any mac compatible software that can help communicate between maya and lw?

Chilton
12-27-2007, 10:17 PM
Hi,

Since both LightWave and Maya support AppleScript, communication between the two via a series of AppleScripts should be possible.

-Chilton

Dodgy
12-27-2007, 10:20 PM
http://thespread.ghostoutpost.com/Maya2LW2.html

eblu
12-27-2007, 10:37 PM
Hi,

Since both LightWave and Maya support AppleScript, communication between the two via a series of AppleScripts should be possible.

-Chilton

you're a kidder chilton. a real side splitter.

maya and Lightwave have a few options for moving 3d data between themselves. there are two major studios which, if rumors are accurate, have had a pipeline that allows them to do just that for quite a while now. several off the shelf applications offer some kind of translation support and even the apps themselves can save objects that are 'mutually compatible"...

but... and here's the rub... not one solution out there, makes the conversion lossless. generally, when it works you lose all of your ability to change the animation, because its a brute force way of getting the conversion to work. the animation file animates the points of the object directly, having removed all the bones, deformations, etc... Procedural textures are broken, SubD objects are a little wonky, UV maps can get wiped out...

so its not all a bed of roses, you CAN move data between LW and Maya (and presumably any other 3d app) but these things are similar, not the same. So the differences in the apps, can make for giant headaches, when you try to convert from one to another.

Cageman
12-27-2007, 10:45 PM
not one solution out there, makes the conversion lossless. generally, when it works you lose all of your ability to change the animation, because its a brute force way of getting the conversion to work. the animation file animates the points of the object directly, having removed all the bones, deformations, etc... Procedural textures are broken, SubD objects are a little wonky, UV maps can get wiped out...

That's why you don't move things from one app to the other. Maya2LW2 and PointOven are used in such way so that you animate in Maya and bake MDDs that are then used in LW to drive the animation. If you need to change the animation, you do it in Maya, bake and replace the MDD. Simple!

Chilton
12-28-2007, 08:20 AM
I'm not saying this is easy, and I'm not saying it's lossless. Without more details on what he wanted, I answered the question I knew the answer to.

Both apps support AppleScript integration with their built-in scripting languages, via a common (Mac) bridge, and therefore the ability to swap information is possible, on a Mac.

And that goes way beyond just model data. If you're just trying to convert an object from one file format to another, that's one problem, and is best left to a dedicated app that will walk through the binary files of each. But if you're trying to create an autonomous pipeline, that's where the AppleScript integration could come into play.

-Chilton

Stingslang
12-28-2007, 10:14 AM
im just looking for a off the shelf product that works. does Maya2LW work on macs?

Stingslang
12-28-2007, 11:58 AM
the export ma doesn't seem to work on my mac. can anyone tell me why this might be?

eblu
12-28-2007, 01:15 PM
I'm not saying this is easy, and I'm not saying it's lossless. Without more details on what he wanted, I answered the question I knew the answer to.

Both apps support AppleScript integration with their built-in scripting languages, via a common (Mac) bridge, and therefore the ability to swap information is possible, on a Mac.

And that goes way beyond just model data. If you're just trying to convert an object from one file format to another, that's one problem, and is best left to a dedicated app that will walk through the binary files of each. But if you're trying to create an autonomous pipeline, that's where the AppleScript integration could come into play.

-Chilton

here I thought you were kidding ;)

Chilton
12-28-2007, 05:46 PM
Hi Eblu,

here I thought you were kidding ;)

Most of the time, yes. But in this case, I had this horrid flashback to a video game I once worked on (won't name names) where they decided to go with CG characters half way through the development cycle, and the app they chose (not LW) didn't support any type of scripting outside of its internal language. So I spent about a month babysitting the same damned load model/change textures/render to file/load in game mod app/test/ only to have to open PS and change one thing, then do that again.

In LW, I'd try to automate this as much as possible, which is possible now.

-Chilton

Stingslang
12-29-2007, 11:11 AM
has anybody actually used maya2lw?

Cageman
12-29-2007, 11:21 AM
Not on the Mac, but since everything is L-script it should work?

EDIT: There are two Maya2LW... one is called just 'Maya2LW' and the other is called 'Maya2LW2'. The difference is that Maya2LW2 is developed. Make sure you are using Maya2LW2.

Stingslang
12-29-2007, 02:06 PM
i beleive I am

toby
12-31-2007, 11:06 PM
I think this is the best one out there, but it may be behind on the intel/UB version. It's designed for studios that want to animate in Maya and render in LW.
http://www.thebeaverproject.com/

Cageman
01-01-2008, 01:12 AM
i beleive I am

Well, contact the developer and ask if Maya2LW2 is supposed to work on Mac. Another thing I would do is to send an email to the author of PointOven (http://www.ef9.com/ef9/PO.htm) and ask if he have plans to make a Mac version.