PDA

View Full Version : 9.0 Layout now always crashes immediately

Archigram
12-27-2007, 12:31 PM
Hi folks,
I'm not hugely computer savvy--I'm a fine artist who's been using LW for 5 years or so. I'm halfway through a project using LW9.0(Mac32) and though it's crashed often enough I've been able to make good progress until now.

Now I can't even load scenes or objects into Layout without crashing it; sometimes objects/scenes will load but if I try changing the display from wf to shaded it crashes. I tried turning off all openGL multioptions. I've trashed the Hub. I trashed my old config files (i.e. the Layout9 file in preferences?). Still the same. Modeler works fine. What has changed to mess up my computer's relationship to Layout and what can I do to fix it? Is my computer infected or something? (I've been combing the forums for answers but it's all a bit overwhelming....)

Model Name: MacBook Pro 15"
Model Identifier: MacBookPro1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
running OS 10.4.11

many thanks for the tips.

archijam
12-27-2007, 01:11 PM
Strange. I have none of the problems you are describing ..

Have you tried downloading 9.3.1 from the NT site? It can run happily as a separate install, just put it in a separate directory to your existing 9.0.

j.

Archigram
12-27-2007, 01:42 PM
Yeah, I just did try: both the PPC and the UB version are instantly crashing on my computer--can't even get as far as loading a file. I checked my disk --it seems fine. As I say, modeler works fine. And 9.0 was working well until recently.

eblu
12-27-2007, 02:09 PM
ok,
first, don't run the PPC version. you have an intel machine, and the PPC version would be a lot of work for your system with a large net loss in performance.

now, try running layout without running the hub. find the hub and quit out of it if you haven't already, and then find the application file and rename it.

if Layout is Still crashing, you might want to consider deleting your config files again,
they are located (for the UB):
yourHarddrive/Users/yourUser/Library/Preferences/Lightwave3D
DON'T toss the whole directory. your License.key is probably in there too, and you'll need that.

if none of that fixes the problem... move your license key to a safe place, delete everything and re-install.

Archigram
12-27-2007, 03:30 PM
Thanks eblu,

I've done the hub and config thing--but will try again. I will reinstall when I return from traveling and can go from my program disc. I will post in a couple of days--hopefully things will clear up.

Chilton
12-27-2007, 03:58 PM
Hi,

Please send me your crash log and I might be able to tell you what is happening.

-Chilton
[email protected]
[email protected]

Archigram
12-28-2007, 06:29 AM
Thanks much Chilton. Again, I've been using 9.0, which generally doesn't crash for me (until recently.) I couldn't upload my Lightwave.crash file for some reason, so I hope the Layout.crash file is what you need.

Archigram
12-31-2007, 08:43 AM
Hi Chilton et al.

I was able to reload my program from disk successfully (for now). I may not have properly gotten rid of all my config files before. Thanks for everyone's help, and Happy New Year!