PDA

View Full Version : Cross between dielectric and SSS?

IMI
12-26-2007, 04:59 PM
I'm trying to get a material that's somewhere between a Kappa SSS shader I made and a dielectric node.
In other words, I'd like to have that soft SSS look, but with a transparency and the ability to control the absorption.
I haven't really tried it with the material mixer and something like Simple Skin or anything - maybe I ought to, maybe that's the only way, but is there a way to get the SSS from kappa into diffuse shading to plug into a dielectric node?
Or some other way of creating a dielectric material effect to plug into the base surface transparency, reflection, spec and other nodes?
I might not be explaining that too well...

IMI
12-27-2007, 11:15 AM
No ideas anyone?
How about this then - How would one go about duplicating a dielectric material effect with just regular, non-"material" nodes, and without using air polys?

oldtekerr
12-27-2007, 12:15 PM
surface thickness gradient for the transparency... and incidence angle on the reflect and the diffuse. should get you close...and dont forget about that refraction.

IMI
12-27-2007, 03:46 PM
surface thickness gradient for the transparency... and incidence angle on the reflect and the diffuse. should get you close...and dont forget about that refraction.

Cool. Thank you. Off to try that out now... :)

IMI
12-27-2007, 05:13 PM
Well I tried your suggestion and I see how it can work, though I couldn't get the type of absorption with the gradient. Mostly because gradients are my weakest point in LW. :o I see how it works though and I could probably whip up an image map easier for such a thing.
But, I did get close, then decided I wasn't liking much what I was getting.
But then I decided to go ahead and try it with the dielectric material combined with simple skin, with a gradient driving the absorption in the dielectric material. It's considerably closer to what I was going for. Although I have this image in my mind of what I'm going for and it's kind of hard to explain. I don't know if any object in real life would have these types of properties, which might explain my difficulty. ;)
The surface I was doing this to is the ball. It's just an object I tossed together for the purpose of this test, and the settings are fairly low for quicker rendering.
Getting there - still learning my way around nodes, but it's becoming alot clearer.

oldtekerr
12-27-2007, 06:12 PM
input the suface thickness into the the gradient... Make sure you know the size of your object... and change the bottom number of the gradient acordingly. I am going to give it a try after I am done watching Transformers.

IMI
12-27-2007, 07:28 PM
I see - I was going about the gradient idea all wrong - I'll give your suggestions some more attempts. Thanks again. :)

oldtekerr
12-27-2007, 09:55 PM
here is what I came up with...

IMI
12-28-2007, 07:50 AM
Looks great man, thank you for this!