PDA

View Full Version : LW9EXT.CFG File Swapping

mccabejc
12-26-2007, 03:47 PM
Anyone know a quick way to select a file to use as the LW9EXT.CFG file? I have two versions, one referencing a network-mapped drive, and the other referencing the local drive. The first is used when my laptop is connected to the LAN, and the other when I'm out and about. It's a pain to have to go and renamed the files each time I want to swap. Is there an easier way? Thanks.

MooseDog
12-26-2007, 04:07 PM
have two shortcuts on your desktop with two different target lines:

...~ -c"G:\Lightwave93\Config"

where G is on your machine

for the desktop

and

...~-c"Z:\Lightwave93\Config"

where Z is a drive on the lan

i think the principal is right, maybe a windows ace will clear up any details.

the principal being that you poiint to a different config folder when launching each shortcut.

h.t.h.

mccabejc
12-26-2007, 04:22 PM
Yeah, I've got that, but the problem is there are two separate LWEXT9.cfg files within that directory, and somehow I have to direct LW to use the specific files which internally reference the different drives.

Snosrap
12-26-2007, 04:27 PM
What is the LW9EXT.CFG file anyway?

Snosrap

mccabejc
12-26-2007, 04:36 PM
It's the one that specifies the plugins and their locations. Actually this is more of a Screamernet question and I should have posted there...

I tried setting up a batch file to do the renaming, but it's giving me fits, so I'm trying to find an easier way.

MooseDog
12-26-2007, 07:11 PM
Yeah, I've got that, but the problem is there are two separate LWEXT9.cfg files within that directory, and somehow I have to direct LW to use the specific files which internally reference the different drives.

are they in different folders? each folder with it's own collection of config files?

JCG
12-26-2007, 11:03 PM
Then, instead of using a shortcut to open lightwave, you could use a batch file. You could call one of the CFGs LWEXT9.hdd with the local paths and the other LWEXT9.net with the network paths. One of them would be set as LWEXT9.cfg and the other would stay waiting for its turn. One batch file would rename LWEXT9.hdd to LWEXT9.cfg and LWEXT9.cfg to LWEXT9.net and then launch lightwave and another batch file would do the opposite.

You would just need to use the IF EXIST command to make sure that LWEXT9.hdd exists. Otherwise it is already in "hard drive mode" and no renaming needs to be done (and vice versa).

So the batch file "HDDLW.BAT" (to use the local paths) would be something like:

:begin
IF NOT EXIST configs\LWEXT9.hdd GOTO launch
ren configs\LWEXT9.cfg LWEXT9.net
ren configs\LWEXT9.hdd LWEXT9.cfg
:launch
lightwav.exe