PDA

View Full Version : sfx softwares?

akstylish
12-25-2007, 05:51 PM
I can't think of a good example now, but when I watch movies, I see special effects that I don't think can be accomplished by 3d animation programs+photoshop. If I'm right, what do they use most? And does aftereffects have anything to do with it?

Sorry, I'm a real cg noob. :(

hard8
12-28-2007, 07:53 PM
After Effects is used more than you would think in a lot of TV, but it's not very common in high end film production.

The 2 most common "SFX" programs used in high end productions are Shake and any of the Discreet platforms like Flint, Inferno and Flame.

AbnRanger
12-31-2007, 09:08 PM
Fusion ($5K) is probably used most in Film, as far as desktop compositors go. Nuke ($3.5K...produced by Frantic Films is it?). Combustion is used more often in films than you'd think, but yeah...the high-end hardware-driven systems like Flame, Flint and Inferno (Autodesk) get the lion's share of the work.
I use Combustion myself, and you'd be amazed what you can do with it or After Effects. You practically need to have a compositor with a 3D program anyway. It is much needed for color correcting or adding 3D motion blur or DOF in post. Or adding blurry reflections in post,etc. In Combustion, using the G-Buffer extract operator, I can...uh, extract...an entire object or parts of the object at a simple click of a button. No having to fool around with masks. There's just so much you can do in post to make your life a LOT easier...and get the job done much quicker.