PDA

View Full Version : Surface Properties?

IMI
12-25-2007, 07:52 AM
Does anyone know of a good site or PDF or anything for a comprehensive list of surface properties for common (and not so common) materials? Such as ceramic, plastic, vinyl, concrete, wood, stone and so on.
I do have some information on such things such as the types of shaders and specularity and so on, but it seems alot of it is contradictory. I've noticed that refraction index charts tend to vary as well. For example, I've found information saying crystal is 2.0 and other saying it's anywhere between 1.9 and 2.0. Not a huge gap, but even the smallest amount of change affects refraction.
But I'm more interested in something that lists as much about surfaces and their total properties as possible.

On a side note, speaking of refraction, why would anyone need to know that the refraction index of Copper is 2.43? What am I missing here? Copper isn't transparent, and is rather dense. By the time you sliced it thin enough to cause it to refract anything, it wouldn't even look like copper anymore.
Or does the refraction of a solid material affect surface reflection?

Anti-Distinctly
12-27-2007, 07:16 AM
As far as Im aware, all material refract and reflect EM radiation. For eample, wax prisms will refract EM radition in the microwave wavelength range. I think. I'm not sure there are any other values that would be of much use to you as a surface's appearance is just dependant upon the shader used, unless you use one of the material nodes which are physically based. These nodes will work out the surface's appearance based on the physics involved. Conductors for example, their appearance is governed by the Maxwell equations and the nodes handle all the maths for you.

Edit: Some useful information of surfaces properties may be on wikipedia.

Anti-Distinctly
12-27-2007, 07:28 AM
Also, when the node system was fairly new, I think Proton did a large post about the types of shaders available and their common uses. I thought it was a sticky around here somewhere...

IMI
12-27-2007, 11:30 AM
Thank you. :)
I've found some information, actually alot of information on LW's nodes between the manuals, several books I have, and in several web pages and sites. I wouldn't claim to understand half of it yet, but I'm getting there.
I was more interested though, in an overall list of average values for specific substances. I used the fact that it's easy enough to find lists of refraction indexes easily enough as an example.
I've also managed to find a good deal of specific information on certain properties, but it's scattered around.
I was just thinking it would be nice to have a reference to look up for, like, if you're making a stainless steel object, and you can browse a list of approximate surface properties as a whole.
However, just knowing what shader model to begin with is half the battle right there.
I love LW's Material nodes, but the problem I'm having with them is it seems when you try to stray too far from what they do, such as mixing two materials or adding other different types, you can get some really lousy and unpredictable results.

Silkrooster
12-27-2007, 05:39 PM
For learning about the nodal properties it may be easier to try out the presets and see for your self how they are set up.
Try this site...
http://www.lededesigns.com/component/option,com_nodes/Itemid,4/
Silk

IMI
12-27-2007, 05:49 PM
For learning about the nodal properties it may be easier to try out the presets and see for your self how they are set up.
Try this site...
http://www.lededesigns.com/component/option,com_nodes/Itemid,4/
Silk

Thank you. I never saw that site before, but it's definitely worth a look-through. :)