PDA

View Full Version : Very long pause after render is complete???

JeffrySG
12-23-2007, 11:32 PM
Hi all,

I've been working on a scene/render with a model that has a very large poly count of around 2.1 million polys. Everything is going fast in Layout but every time I do a render I will get a very long pause (about 2min). The pause is just about as long as it takes to initially open the model up.

Is layout somehow reading the model file after each render? I can understand why it takes a while to open or save the file/models as it is so big but why after a render, which may only take 4 or 5 minutes.

I only get this pause on these scene with this big model. On other scenes I never notice a pause of any sort.

Thanks for any info...

Jeff

JeffrySG
12-27-2007, 07:01 PM
So, does anyone else get this long pause after renders? or is this a bug?

meshpig
12-27-2007, 09:43 PM
What are you rendering to again? It might be the QT compression if you are rendering to .mov format.

-Does it do the same saving to RGB only?

m

JeffrySG
12-27-2007, 10:45 PM
^Yes, this is for a still only. I've been doing a standard F9 render, and then I'll save the render (or not) using the menus in the new window. The pause happens even if I abort the render.

oldtekerr
12-27-2007, 11:11 PM
how much ram do you have? This only happens to me when I run out of ram and it starts caching it to the hard drive. It then takes a min for the hard drive to dump all that data.

JeffrySG
12-29-2007, 11:11 AM
Specs in my sig... but I have 5GB of ram... the LW model file is about 115MB in size. No image textures, all procedural.

toby
12-31-2007, 11:21 PM
This is common for some scenes with a lot of geometry, but it also happens if you have subpatch objects, when your display and render subD levels don't match. When they match, LW uses the openGL generated subd for the render. When they don't, LW has to recalculate before and after each render.

Andrew Brown
01-02-2008, 02:20 AM
I get the same effect - Setting the viewports to wireframe or outline does not help either! So, I do not believe it is an OpenGL issue - more likely that LW is picking the rendered image from RAM and (trying) to move it to the video RAM. I have Cee Pee You installed, and following the render I do not see any abnormal increase in the performance of the cores - so, whatever LW is doing, it is not affecting the processing performance!

On a sideline, but of equal interest though, is that if the LW model is imported in Modo, all the OpenGL operations (move, zoom, rotate etc.) are faster than in Modeler - perhaps I am not being fair on the comparison as I have not played around too much trying to understand why.

Otterman
01-02-2008, 05:31 AM
I used to have this problem-b4 a render i set the viewport to bounding box and it cured the delay. So im thinking it is an open GL problem...no no sub D's either!

JeffrySG
01-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Yeah, no subd on this scene but a really high poly count. It didn't matter if views were set to bounding box or not either so I don't think it was opengl. Just must be a geometry thing like toby said... :)

palpal
01-02-2008, 11:16 AM
I got something like this also, but that where when I had stored the object on a network drive that were freenas and not a windows server. Seem like mac os does do poor filesharing between freenas and mac but between win and mac it is much fasetr!

Your PAL :)

toby
01-02-2008, 11:37 PM
I get the same effect - Setting the viewports to wireframe or outline does not help either! So, I do not believe it is an OpenGL issue - more likely that LW is picking the rendered image from RAM and (trying) to move it to the video RAM. I have Cee Pee You installed, and following the render I do not see any abnormal increase in the performance of the cores - so, whatever LW is doing, it is not affecting the processing performance!

I don't know the details or the most accurate explaination, but it's true; try loading a complex subD model like a character, set display subd to 0 and render subd to 4. When you hit F9 you'll see "Updating geometry" for a while before it starts rendering. If you set display to 4, you won't see that, it'll start rendering right away. A similar pause sometimes happens at the end -