PDA

View Full Version : Particle variation control

Anti-Distinctly
12-23-2007, 02:12 PM
Hi all,
Just doing some work for a friend and I've come across some limitation with the control over the appearance of particles (Hypervoxels really in this case, but I'll use anything that works, partigons, etc). For example, if I wished to have my particles by of varying colour how would I do that? I can't put an envelope on the particle colour, as that will just change all particle colour over time.
The effect that I'm going for is a kind of phaser/laser hit similar to that seen in Star Wreck In The Pirkinning, the particles are being used for the flying sparks. Each spark seems to have a different, but consistent, brightness, colour, size etc. Which I cant seem to do without having several emitters (size I can do with size variation in the HV panel).

Anyone have any ideas? Or is this just not currently possible

serge
12-24-2007, 07:11 AM
You could try Dpont's Particle Paint (http://pagesperso-orange.fr/dpont/plugins/textures/ParticlePaint.html). It can vary hue, saturation and luminosity (and other effects) for the particles in the same emitter.

Anti-Distinctly
12-25-2007, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the suggestion serge. I tried dpont's particle paint, but cant seem to get it to do anything I want. I'm really not sure on how to use it either. Have you done similar things with it before? There's a hue, saturation and luminance control, but they dont seem to do anything like I'd expect to the colour of the sprites. (I'm applying the particle paint texture on the hypervox sprite's colour channel)
Still leaves me craving more control over the appearance & control of my particles though :\

serge
12-26-2007, 07:38 AM
Yeah, on second thought it's probably not a good suggestion. I got misleaded by the gif animation on Dpont's site which shows particles in different colours (but he probably used different emitters for this). I did a quick test in which I could change the colour of the surface-hypervoxels by varying the hue, so I assumed it would be possible. But what I wrote is wrong. Particle paint is really about affecting an object's surface by the impact of particles, and not about surfacing individual particles (at least not as far as I can see now).

arsad
12-27-2007, 04:09 AM
if you are using sprites, you could use several different images mapped
to your sprites. this would allow you to have different colors and other
attributes like size within one emitter.

dpont
12-27-2007, 04:23 AM
(but he probably used different emitters for this)...

I used same emitter for both HV colors and textured surface color,
in HV, radius in ParticlePaint does match HV Particle size,
if you are PC you could aso use (DP_Kit) ParticleInfo node in
Nodetexture node editor, then output the Particle ID
in a Gradient node.

Denis.

Anti-Distinctly
12-27-2007, 04:42 AM
serge: at least we're on the same wavelength now. I thought I was just confused :)

arsad: That's not a bad idea. I'll try Denis's ParticleInfo node first to see if I can get everything procedural.

dpont: I did try this with LW 9.3.1 and the latest particleinfo node, but got a few crashes. I'll try it again...

dpont
12-27-2007, 05:55 AM
...It works here,
tested with Mike's Infinimap utility:

Denis.

Anti-Distinctly
12-27-2007, 06:35 AM
Thanks Denis, I'll try that out. Is the simple colour corrector one of yours or is that Mike's? I hadn't noticed that one before.
Denis, Newtek should just ship your nodes with Lightwave. They are quite comprehensive, so thanks again for all your effort.

Lightwolf
12-27-2007, 07:07 AM
Thanks Denis, I'll try that out. Is the simple colour corrector one of yours or is that Mike's?
That's mine, it is a free addition part of infiniMap (and will move over to the free db&w tools for the next release).

Cheers,
Mike

Anti-Distinctly
12-27-2007, 07:30 AM
I'll check that out Mike, danke.