PDA

View Full Version : one wood shader for many planks?

Johnny
07-08-2003, 12:07 PM
I have a scene involving a wooden box..sort of a crate made up of discreet planks of wood.

anyway..the box is made, and all of the planks comprising the box have been tagged with a surface I've for now called 'wood_1'

I envision this box being made out of something like pine or whatever such boxes are made from, and each plank would have a similar grain and color, yet there ought to be some variations. even planks made from the same tree vary from one another.

should I make one wood shader, and vary the way each plank expresses it (and how is that done), or do I need to make a separate wood shader for each plank in order to make sure it doesn't look like a box made of 20-some odd clones of the same plank?

thank you!

Johnny

Maxx
07-08-2003, 03:06 PM
Personally, I'd leave it all one surface name, then paint an image map in photoshop to cover the entire area. Paint in however many rows of planks you need - also, check online galleries and magazine CDs - you should be able to find some good wood plank images. Or you might want to try the Shades shaders - I'm fairly certain there's at least one plank proceedural in there.

PeteS
07-09-2003, 03:16 PM
if you really want to use the procedual shaders, just create 2 or 3 different surfaces for the wood planks. Then you can nary the color a bit as well as the rotation and the xyz. Yes, even the xyz. remember that procedual is a 3 dimensional shap, so if you move it you will get a different cross section on the surface:)

CF01
07-09-2003, 07:47 PM
Here's a tip I demoed at the minnapolis usergroup last month. I plan to write up a proper tutorial when i get around to creating a website.

1. create a copy of your object in layer 2

2. in original layer align all your planks vertically along the y axis think of them as being cut from an infinitely tall tree

3. layer 1 as foreground and layer 2 selected as background run "Bkg to Morph" then delete layer 2

4. apply procedural wood texture on object coordinates. try using world coordinates when adding some dirt or chipped paint

5. use morph mixer to switch to assembled object

iandavis
07-20-2003, 07:08 PM
Ok, this is how I would do it, if realism was an issue.

In Modeller change all the outer plank surfaces to "wood outer", change all the other surfaces to "wood inner" change the plank ends to "plank ends"

select the "wood outer" geometry and create a UV texture for it. (screenshot)

select the "wood inner" geometry and create a UV texture for it. (screenshot)

select the "plank ends" geometry and create a UV texture for it. (screenshot)

In photoshop use photographs of real wood and align it over all the planks shown in the screenshot (save as "planks outer.jpg"

create a (less critical) image using the screenshot for "plank inner" using the SAME WOOD IMAGE. (save as "planks inner.jpg")

Use another photograph of tight tree rings (if you don't have it, the proceedural tree 'LW supplied' may do the trick in a pinch)
If you have a photographic texture, arrange the rings over each rectangle representing a plank-end in your screenshot of the UV texture. (save as "plank ends")

In layout now just apply the UV textures in the colour channel of each of the three textures, load the UV images, etc.

If you want to get fancy create bump and specular maps using the same technique and apply it to the appropriate channels.

There is no quick solution on the path to reality... he he

good luck

richpr
07-20-2003, 10:56 PM
Great tips, although I could use that tutorial... ;)

I did some wood the simple way with 3 procedurals, all slightly different in rotation, position and a good mixture of applying to planks...

But I would be interested in a more thorough way (other than UV)...

I saw a wood tutorial and an advanced wood tutorial listed the other day over at 3D Fight Club (http://www.3dfightclubforum.com/), which reminds me...

Hmmm... that wasn't what I was looking for... ;) Trying to paint wood in Photoshop...

iandavis
07-20-2003, 11:01 PM
Alas! There is nare reason to fear UV... it is your friend. I was dreading learning, but now it love it.. it's so easy.

just go through a UV texture tut slowly and with determination, it is well worth it.

good luck

munky
07-21-2003, 12:03 PM
try imageafter.com which has loads and loads of high res free textures in fact it's all free or there are the IFW shaders www.shaders.org (you pay for these but it's only about 55)
or there's the worms of art

regards

paul

JamesCurtis
07-21-2003, 09:40 PM
If you're looking for a plugin to use as a starting point for many wood planks you might consider the Shades Project set of plugins - in particular the Parquet one.

Not exactly sure, but I think the link is www.shaders.org.

Titus
07-21-2003, 09:56 PM
to shades project:

http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/shades/welcome.html

JamesCurtis
07-22-2003, 08:29 PM
Titus

My Mistake and thanks for the correction. It had been quite a while since I'd visited the Shades Project site and I couldn't find the link I had saved in my browser, so I wasn't really sure if it was correct.

I do hope Johnny finds the plugins there useful.