PDA

View Full Version : Keeping LW In Background During Render?

Giacomo99
12-23-2007, 10:19 AM
Hello-

I'm rendering out an animation in Layout and trying to surf the web at the same time. Unfortunately, every time a frame finishes rendering, Layout "pops" to the foreground. If the frames are rendering every 10 seconds, this makes it impossible to use any other applications.

How can I keep Layout from popping to the front every time it finishes a frame? Please advise.

Pomfried
12-23-2007, 11:11 AM
Have you tried disabling the render display in your render globals? Also LW should ask you about it before you start rendering an animation :)

avkills
12-23-2007, 11:47 AM
You might also have the frame completed sound on; which may be signaling the OS to return to Layout.

I am doing the same thing right now and Layout stays in the background. I am not previewing the renders or do I have the frame completed sound enabled.

-mark

Giacomo99
12-23-2007, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the help. Clicking "Yes" when Layout asks if I want to "Turn Off Render Display" keeps Layout in the background. (Disabling the "frame completed beep" doesn't.)

What seems odd to me is that even if I answer "Yes" to the "Turn Off Render Display" prompt, the Render Display still appears, and is updated with every frame--the only perceptible effect is to keep Layout in the background. Go figure.

Pomfried
12-23-2007, 01:59 PM
I think you're mixing up two things here: the preview area in the rendering window and render display. The render display is that window in which you can see your final images (usually only used for stills you don't want to save etc.).
:)

avkills
12-23-2007, 05:13 PM
Yeah I was not sure about the frame completed beep. Pomfried is right, you need to go in and disable the render preview (which shows the rendering in progress and such), which is different than the render display (a separate floating window that shows full resolution frames).

-mark

Giacomo99
12-24-2007, 11:20 AM
Pomfried is right, you need to go in and disable the render preview (which shows the rendering in progress and such), which is different than the render display (a separate floating window that shows full resolution frames).

Actually, you don't--Layout seems to stay in the background if one "Turns Off Render Display" when prompted at the beginning of the render.

This seems a little counterintuitive--if one is rendering a QuickTime animation or other non-sequence-of-frames output the Render Display doesn't appear anyway. But whatever.

avkills
12-25-2007, 12:51 PM
I'd turn the render preview off anyway since it slows down the render a bit.

-mark