PDA

View Full Version : 11 hrs of modeling....

hard8
12-22-2007, 11:55 AM
and for no reason, my models seem to have gone corrupt.

am not sure if it's the files, or Modeler having some sort of panic attack
because layout does not seem to have a problem with the files and renders them just fine.

here is a screenshot of what I'm seeing in modeler:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a179/8thehardway/Picture82.png

Any ideas? This is version 9.3 on a G5. I haven't seem anything like this since 5.5 on an SGI.

any insight would be great. I'm really pi55ed off at the thought of starting over.

IMI
12-22-2007, 12:04 PM
Have you tried closing and reopening? Rebooting and then reopening?
Looks like some kind of OpenGL funk to me, especially if Layout renders it OK.

hard8
12-22-2007, 12:10 PM
yeah.. I closed, reopened. Restarted, rebooted.

The only think I haven't tried is opening the models in 7.5 on my other computer.

IMI
12-22-2007, 12:16 PM
Can you select those wayward polygons and delete them? Does it show in the polygon statistics panel anything about 2 point polys?
It doesn't look like your model has been affected by it. Just looks like every point has decided to extrude itself. Weird.

hard8
12-22-2007, 12:33 PM
I can't select them. When I try, more appear. When I zoom in or out more appear.

When I go full screen on the perspective window it looks like it does in the screen shot, but then I can sometimes switch view modes from say smooth to sketch and it will show it fine.

I'm reinstalling LW right now. I tossed the prefs and did all the usual crap but it didn't help. If it persists, I'll check my poly stats to see if there's any reference to them.

I want to think this is an Open GL panic attack or something, so maybe a reinstall with fix that. Otherwise I can't see any way around starting over.

IMI
12-22-2007, 12:36 PM
Maybe you can save the model. try copying it and pasting it into a new object, not a new layer, but a new object entirely. If the weirdness isn't "real", since it can't be selected, it might not follow along.
The only times I've seen stuff like this was with my older video card, but it always fixed itself after rebooting.

hard8
12-22-2007, 01:19 PM
I think it's simply too many polygons. The model is pushing 60k.
I've had bigger models before, but now I'm running dual monitors
on a not so hot video card.

It's not translating into Layout at all. I just did a ridiculous 720p render with full radiosity and 2 ray traced area lights and there's not a point out of place.

I think I really need to go back and rethink how to model the bow arms. They are just taking up way to much polygon real estate and I still need to do morph targets for them, which will only complicate the issue.

hrgiger
12-22-2007, 01:37 PM
I get those wayward lines when I have more polygons then my hardware is comfortable handling (whatever that threshold may be). I find it is most likely an OpenGL glitch and the lines disappear from view whenever I translate the model or pan or rotate. They are not selectable. Annoying yes.

cresshead
12-22-2007, 02:55 PM
yeah i've had this before too...incremental saves...ALWAYS.

Intuition
12-22-2007, 03:01 PM
60,000 polys is really not that many.

If Layout can load and render the object you should try saving a different version from Layout instead of trying to re-save it in modeler.

Try doing a "save transformed" of the model from inside Layout as a different name. Then see if that opens in modeler.

Also, you can try saving the lwo as an OBJ. ANother thing would be to try and open the model in modo and then save it as an different named LWO file from modo and then opening it in modeler.

I ahve had this happen sometimes and usually a layout save can work but it always fixes it when I open it and save it again as a new file from inside modo.

Although I use modo for all my modeling now but it may fix the file and will allow you to open and model it again in LW modeler.

If you don't have modo you may be able to get the 30 day demo to at least test this option.

:thumbsup:

hard8
12-22-2007, 03:54 PM
Ok... I finally figured out the problem.

Somewhere along the way I must have accidentally sub-patched some really small bits of the model cause I went through it surface by surface while hiding the unselected portions of the model. There were some layers that had half the polygons nurbed and the other where normal.

I guess the lesson is I shouldn't spend 11 hrs in front of a computer.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Here's what I thankfully didn't have to remodel:

WIP

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a179/8thehardway/Prdt_Occl.jpg

IMI
12-22-2007, 03:57 PM
Glad to hear you got it worked out. :)
That's really nice - definitely would have sucked to lose that! You're gonna have to post that again after it's all surfaced.

T-Light
12-23-2007, 12:38 AM
Very nice. :thumbsup:

Darth Mole
12-23-2007, 03:34 AM
Pfft. I could do that in 10-and-half-hours easy.

10-and-three-quarters tops.

:-)

Virtual Mind
12-24-2007, 09:58 AM
My advice would be to make the stock a bit bigger, it looks terribly out of proportion, otherwise looks facking cool!

Mr Maze
12-24-2007, 10:16 AM
Very nice modeling...

mattclary
12-24-2007, 10:34 AM
You should consider saving versions, that way if one gets botched up, you don't lose all your work.

3DGFXStudios
12-24-2007, 11:07 AM
[QUOTE=hard8]Ok... I finally figured out the problem.

Somewhere along the way I must have accidentally sub-patched some really small bits of the model cause I went through it surface by surface while hiding the unselected portions of the model. There were some layers that had half the polygons nurbed and the other where normal.

I guess the lesson is I shouldn't spend 11 hrs in front of a computer.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Here's what I thankfully didn't have to remodel:

WIP

I was about to say maybe you accidentally sub-patched something...blablabla.... I had this problem too some time ago. LOL
Nice model!

hard8
12-26-2007, 04:00 PM
My advice would be to make the stock a bit bigger, it looks terribly out of proportion, otherwise looks facking cool!

this is modeled to spec from blueprints. There is a shoulder pad that has yet to be added on the back of the stock.

Bog
12-27-2007, 03:57 AM
I get OpenGL hassles all the time on Macs - I go to a bunch of different places to teach, and will often have a different graphics card per trainee. Dammit.

Most of the common problems seem to be solvable with enabling "Simple Wireframe Edges" and "Simple Wireframe Points" in the Interface tab of the Display Options panel. I can see this isn't pertinant to your particular issue, but it's worth noting for the future.

Darn nice model, btw!