PDA

View Full Version : DVDs on site??

leproductions
12-22-2007, 08:47 AM
Hello Everyone,

First off Happy Holidays to you All...hope everyone has a safe and productive New Year!!

Second...I have just signed an account that is in the Dance Show genre. It is a traveling show and will require quite a lot of video elements. My problem is the following...

I will be taping (using Tricaster pro) LIVE 1 - 2 cameras for a total of 6 hours a day. The total 6 hours will go direct to hard drive and file will be given to Editors for later use. The 6 hours however is broken down into a max 3 minutes per performance. That 3 minutes needs to be outputted to DVD for sales AT THE LIVE EVENT. The best way to explain this is this way...If you have gone to an amusement park and ride the great big loopty loop roller coaster...by the time you get to the end of the exit line there is a picture waiting there for you to buy as a take home souvenir.
The same applies here...your son or daughter is in the show and performs his/her 3 min routine...within a certain time limit (no more than 20 mins) Mom and Dad can buy the DVD of JUST that performance.

With that said...I can easily tape the full 6 hour program to hard drive and deliver to editors. But what would be a easy way to output the smaller 3 min segments to disk (DVD)??? Assume also that i would need to make 5 - 10 copies of each 3 min segment again to sell live on the spot.

I failed to mentioned that the DVD does NOT need a root menu.

Any help would be great thanks!!

Paul :tcicon:

PIZAZZ
12-22-2007, 09:24 AM
Some consumer and most professional DVD recorders allow you to burn the DVD without any menu at all. The client can stick it in and it just starts playing.

I would suggest a pair of standalone DVD recorders then.
I suggest 2 units because it will still take up to 5 minutes to finalize each DVD. You would have one finalizing while recording the next number on the other unit.

3-5 Minutes is not long enough to worry about compression issues so just use a standalone with the best inputs you can find. Some even have component video in and that is what I would suggest using if you have a VT, Studio, or TC Pro.

I have had great success with the JVC SR-DVM600 3-in-1 Professional Series Video Recorder with Mini DV, DVD and 40GB Hard Disk Play and Record. This professional unit sells for under 1k. If you need to watch your budget then look at the consumer units but it is a hit and miss on the menu thing. I found Sony, Phillips, RCA all put their own silly advertisement menu first. I found a couple Toshiba models that allow you to create without a menu. So I would start there with Toshiba if you want to go consumer route.

Keep in mind the consumer models are just that. "consumer" So if you want to make sure you always can deliver in the time period you stated... Buy 3 units. :) I am not kidding. I have a client doing exactly what you are and he burnt up 2 units within a year.

leproductions
12-23-2007, 08:22 AM
Jef,

Thanks so much for the help!!! I am going to look into this after the holidays and see what I can come up with. I will probably want to chat with you more on this...So I will give you a ring over there at Pizazz.

Have a great holiday talk to you soon

Paul

SportsJunkie
12-23-2007, 12:24 PM
I use Sony DVDirect burners cascaded using a small AV Distribution amp. Works well. They can be bought on eBay for $100-$120 each. They support both S-Video and composite. Don't need menus. Auto start. Auto chapter marks also -for longer videos.

leproductions
12-24-2007, 08:19 AM
Ok great thanks SportsJunkie...I will look into those as well!!

Paul

Lee Hopper
12-26-2007, 08:47 PM
I do some thing very similiar, call me at 480 940 9678 for details.
Lee Hopper