PDA

View Full Version : Create flames for my ship

hub73
12-21-2007, 02:01 PM
Hi !
Always into Lightwave exploration. And always newbie with a lot of questions. Here my last rendered image :
http://zigwigwis.com/lw/hub11.png

- How to add some flames effect to the ship reactor now ? If you know some free tutorials / usefull read about this or have some explanations to begin many thanks for your help !

- Is there a way to quicky change the background color (black) to another ? (i know that you can use a textured skysphere or ambient light).

archijam
12-21-2007, 02:06 PM
Scene/Background. Choose a colour (or gradient).

Since you are in space, there will be no flames per se, so why not experiment with some cleverly textured geometry? Maybe some trailing shapes with a gradient and procedural opacity, and lotsa bluish luminosity?

j.

hub73
12-21-2007, 03:14 PM
I know, there are no sound also in space... But i need some flames for fun into my game transition screen ! ;-)

hub73
12-21-2007, 03:23 PM
where is this option scene/background into lw9.3 ? (layout?)

Mark The Great
12-21-2007, 08:25 PM
Click the Windows menu on the left. Select Backdrop Options. Or just press control-F5.

Then, you simply edit the color at the top of the window that pops up.

jhogarty
12-21-2007, 09:18 PM
Looking for something like the attached? I'm very much a novice, and this was learned, I believe, several years back from a tutorial on how to make thrusters like in Space Above and Beyond.

J.

hub73
12-21-2007, 11:57 PM
yes i want know how do this. To start this could be a cone painted with a gradient color ? Another solution could be to use a uv texture map on the cone (you just draw a gradient with photoshop and some transparency/alpha). In fact i don't know later how to manage the transparency with uvmap/gradient. i don't know if it is possible. I just know to set the transparency for the cone, not a part of it. You know have the alpha to 1.0 at the base cone and 0.0 at the end.

hub73
12-22-2007, 12:00 AM
thanks Mark The Great for the background. it works !

colkai
12-22-2007, 03:30 AM
Have a paly with this, use the gradients to alter the transparency.
The envelope on the texture controls the speed of the effect.

It's very simple, all I've done is taken an old thruster I made and swapped out edge transparency because it doesn't work with FPrime.

Hope it gives you some ideas.

Edbittner
12-22-2007, 04:41 AM
Something like this?
E.

hub73
12-22-2007, 06:27 AM
Thanks colkai to share this. Yes Edbittner i'm trying to have this effect.

Bog
12-22-2007, 09:52 AM
Smack a Volumetric Distant Light in each engine nozzle. Use the presets, they're a great starting point.

Elmar Moelzer
12-22-2007, 10:47 AM
Very cheap, but quite effective:
Go to your classic content, objects, hummer and steal the canblast.lwo. Make sure to scale it to the right size (in Layout). You might have to adjust the speed of the effect a little bit, but I think it works just fine like that, actually...
CU
Elmar

hub73
12-23-2007, 01:48 AM
@Elmar Moelzer : not found this file inside my content folder. Are you sure it is inside the lw9.3 distrib (content installed) ? If it is not the case is it possible to have theses files ?

colkai
12-24-2007, 01:59 AM
Check your "classic content" folder - assuming you got the LW9 DVDs.
If not, then check the LW8LW7 content if you have it.

Twisted_Pixel
12-24-2007, 04:28 AM
Have a look at this thread, http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77777 , Rich has a tutorial up on the topic.

hub73
12-24-2007, 07:10 AM
No found the file inside my lw9.2 dvds (program cd and content & 3rd party). I've not lw8. I'm trying to use and understand your sample Colkai. It's interesting as i'm learning in the same time gradient/procedural textures ! i'm trying to study how your sample works to adapt it. I've also test a cone using gradient apply to the object weight. I've tested the Bog idea too. Very easy to set a volumetric light, the only problem is that le light not have a cone form.

colkai
12-24-2007, 07:25 AM
Yeah, once you start to wrap your mind around the concepts, it can bring up all sorts. I also ended up creating a sub-divided cone shape and then applying displacement to it to really distort the pattern. Worked pretty well as an underwater 'jetstream' then. :)

hub73
12-24-2007, 07:39 AM
Thanks twisted_pixel too for the link ! I've a lot of work to learn and understand all the lw methods ! Just note that i not need an animation, this is a fixed image.

Stooch
12-24-2007, 08:00 AM
hm. the best way to make fire is to make an emitter, emit some particles and use sprite hypervoxels. :) Its just a bit more involed than animating a texture though, but looks cooler and leaves a nice trail.

hub73
12-24-2007, 08:28 AM
is there a book that cover a maximum of usefull things for a newbie as me ? (i've a low budget, but it's a pain to read the pdf manual on screen).