PDA

View Full Version : Storyboard question in speed edit

jamestownhodag
12-21-2007, 01:54 PM
Hi everyone I just joined the ranks of Speed Edit for Christmas. I have a question about a funtion of the storyboard. I use a Tricaster Pro at work and notice in my speed edit copy that if I high light any segment on the time line, it does not reflect (hightlight) it in Storyboard. Is speed edit suppose to not do that? I have the 1.0 version, looking to update to 1.5
Any help would be appreciated.

SBowie
12-21-2007, 01:56 PM
No, the timeline selection and storyboard selection are not linked, sorry. I think I heard a reason for that once, but forget what it was. :p

stevehmeyer
12-21-2007, 02:34 PM
I heard the reason for it too, but cannot remember the source.

Just think of the complications if they were linked.

In storyboard each item holds a place, no matter how big or small it has a discreet place in line.

Timeline works on a continuously variable time scale. Things overlap. What a mess if you moved a 7 second clip to a position 4 seconds and 17 frames later in your project and it changed place in the storyboard because more than half of it moved past more than half of another item.

Storyboard is what it is - individual icons that give a coarse estimation of the flow of the project's story. The timeline is the nitty-gritty details of the ins and outs and interactions of elements.

I cannot think of a good rerason to link the two in the way you mentioned.

Hope this helps.

SBowie
12-21-2007, 03:49 PM
I cannot think of a good rerason to link the two in the way you mentioned.Oh, I've wished for it at times too ... maybe a 'seek' feature would work.

rycar_m
12-21-2007, 05:51 PM
Wow this is a bummer. I was seriously considering purchasing SE but if this is the case (plus the two install deal) Iam rethinking.

My current app has the storyboard and the timeline linked (if i choose it that way) and this makes for an incredibly fast timline build and rearrangement, I can even ad effects,titles and transitions without touching the timeline (unless i have multi layers) The reason i was considering a change was for hdv is that my app apparently will never be capable of this.

pleae tell me that i am misunderstanding?

cheers

ric marty

SBowie
12-21-2007, 07:47 PM
pleae tell me that i am misunderstanding?I don't know if you're misundertanding or not, but you can do most if not all of that stuff in SE's storyboard editor - what the discussion above was about it simply the fact that if you select a clip in the timeline then switch to the storyboard, the clip is not automatically selected clip there. This isn't really a big problem afaics.

stevehmeyer
12-22-2007, 06:45 AM
Sbowie and I are saying the same thing, Maybe I was not being clear.

If you add anything in the timeline it appears on the storyboard and vice-versa. It is just a selection issue.

Speed Edit lives up to its name, it is fast. Consider this scenario:

You have multiple small clips and want a number of different transitions between each.

In the timeline select all clips, left click the first, go to the last <shift> left click, hit <ctrl>f and there is now a cross fade between each clip.

Tweak the cross fades if you want and then <alt> drag and drop different transitions on top of each cross fade and the <alt> drag and drop invokes SE's inherit and you are done. All your tweaks are preserved and applied to the DVE or other transition you dragged and dropped.

I find the program very well designed for optimizing work flow. Adjusting splines for the hundreds of parameters that can be used could not be easier, between the tool shed and selected clip properties panel you can edit very quickly and get great results.

These are just a few reasons you will like SE, the learning curve is not very steep and it can do a great deal. The price compared to the more popular professional NLEs is astounding.

It does an excellent job on hi-def.

I am not quite sure what you accomplish with the "link" you like in your present software. Can you give a specific example of what it is you do and maybe someone can tell you about the equivalent in SE and help you make a more informed choice. Nothing is worse than an unpleasant surprise.

jamestownhodag
12-22-2007, 12:06 PM
Ok let me clear this up. I am use to it in the tricaster. If I want to lengthen a scene i would just hightlight the scene in the timeline and go to the storyboard. It would be hightlighted there and I would adjust it. I found this a very easy and quick way in locating the box in storyboard of a few hundred. I hope in SE 2.0 they add this :) Hey steve I use to work in Cincinnati at then WIII channel 64. Small world

SBowie
12-22-2007, 02:47 PM
Seems to me I remember Paul suggesting a workaround - I've forgotten what it it was (if I didn't dream it) ... maybe someone else has a better memory?

jamestownhodag
12-22-2007, 05:49 PM
That would be great! I'm all for it

rycar_m
12-22-2007, 09:13 PM
When i have many clips (say about 75) i use the story board to navigate the timeline. and if i want to go to a specific clip to adjust an effect or ad a layer like pip or matte i just click the image on the storyboard and the timeline goes directly to the highligted clip and visa versa from the time line to the storyboard.

This saves a lot time. I would like to know the work around

thanks

ric marty

rycar_m
12-23-2007, 08:02 AM
When i am in a project i might have at least 100 clips. In my current app i use the storyboard to navigate the timeline when i get to the clip i want i just clip the icon in the storyboard and the time slider will go to the clip on the time line which has also been highlighted.

I do this when i need to make another layer such as matting or PIP. If i could know SE work around that would be great

thanks

ric

(I had posted this comment last night and it dissapeared)

rycar_m
12-23-2007, 08:05 AM
When i am in a project i might have as at least 100 clips. In my current app i use the storyboard to navigate the timeline when i gat to the clip i want i gust clip the icon in the storyboard and the time slider will go to the clip time line which has also been highlighted. I do this when i need to make another layer such as matting or PIP. If i could know SE work around that would be great

thanks

ric

(I had posted this comment last night and it dissapeared)

rycar_m
12-23-2007, 08:20 AM
When i am in a project i might have as at least 100 clips. In my current app i use the storyboard to navigate the timeline when i gat to the clip i want i gust clip the icon in the storyboard and the time slider will go to the clip time line which has also been highlighted. I do this when i need to make another layer such as matting or PIP. If i could know SE work around that would be great

thanks

ric

(I had posted this comment last night and it dissapeared )
(I made another quick post because the my secound also was erased(

Brian Peterson
12-23-2007, 08:42 AM
Ok let me clear this up. I am use to it in the tricaster. If I want to lengthen a scene i would just hightlight the scene in the timeline and go to the storyboard. It would be hightlighted there and I would adjust it. I found this a very easy and quick way in locating the box in storyboard of a few hundred. I hope in SE 2.0 they add this :) Hey steve I use to work in Cincinnati at then WIII channel 64. Small world

Does Tricaster have the clip properties box? With SPeedEDIT I click the clip on the timeline or in the storyboard and then adjust it in the properties box and it affects and the results are reflected on the storyboard and the time line. I keep clip properties open on the interface all the time. Seems this would be easier than what you are talking about in Tricaster.

jamestownhodag
12-23-2007, 09:31 AM
You guys are going way pass what I am asking. If I hightlight a scene on the timeline in SE it does not hightline the box in the story board. Tricaster Pro does this. It makes it easy and fast to find it in the storyboard so I can do everything you folks mentioned. Thats it.

jamestownhodag
12-23-2007, 09:34 AM
never mind steve gave me the answer in the second listing. Now if anyone remembers why.... thanks steve.

Norman
12-23-2007, 11:33 AM
I do this all the time, I select a clip in the timeline or storyboard, usually to find black spaces in my project. Sometimes removing them gets audio or titles out of sync. If I'm in the storyboard and see a black space, I select the clip before the space and switch to the timeline and my clip is always selected.

Scott Bates
12-23-2007, 11:38 AM
When i am in a project i might have as at least 100 clips. In my current app i use the storyboard to navigate the timeline when i gat to the clip i want i gust clip the icon in the storyboard and the time slider will go to the clip time line which has also been highlighted. I do this when i need to make another layer such as matting or PIP. If i could know SE work around that would be great This won't give you the highlighting you want, but when going from Storyboard to Timeline, double-click the desired clip in the Storyboard and it will begin to play at the beginning of that clip and you will see the Timeline "cursor" playing through the same clip in that view. If you immediately hit the spacebar after double-clicking it will stop playback on that clip within a second or two of it's In Point.

If you're in the Timeline and begin playing at any point there will be a vertical "cursor" (line) moving through the corresponding clip in the storyboard. The problem with that is that it can be difficult to spot that line especially if you've got a lot of clips, transitions, effects, etc. in the project, and even more so if you've got the Storyboard view scaled down so you can see the maximum number of crutons.

Not exactly what you're asking for, but the best answer I'm aware of.