PDA

View Full Version : Have you guys seen Blochi's Smart IBL plug-in?

Intuition
12-21-2007, 11:44 AM
I thought I'd mention this since I haven't seen a thread on it.

We have used it at Eden FX as kind of a proprietary alternative GI solution for a while but Blochi released it recently.

I think it was posted on Flay not too long ago.

Anyways. Its a really helpful way to get a nice "HDRI lit by GI" look with a lot less render time in many cases.

Here is the Nimrod model we did for Surface lit by a Smart IBL setup.

We used to call it Lightbitch ....Don't ask me why he choose the name but we loved it. ;) Anyways its now called Smart IBL and it will take a Bg image sphereically mapped and make a light setup for you. You can use spinning spotlights with high MBlur to really make nice lighting that looks really nice without slow GI times. :thumbsup:

EDIT -------ARG I actually found out Light ***** and Smart IBL are different... Hehe. Anyways try them both at HDRlabs.

http://www.hdrlabs.com/lightbitch/index.html

Steamthrower
12-21-2007, 11:52 AM
This looks very nice, Intuition. Looks astounding. I'll have to check it out.

Matt
12-21-2007, 11:55 AM
Yep, awesome plugin, bought the book too which I encourage everyone to buy themselves this Christmas!

Intuition
12-21-2007, 12:35 PM
Ok, the image in my post was a test image from before Lightwave 9.

I Fired LB up just now to try it with Photoreal motion blur.

No radiosity was turned on for this image. only ray trace shadows and reflections.

Credit Nimrod model to John Teska. The greatest Lightwave user ever EVAH.

Oh if only Newtek could get a reel of Teska's work. How great the Lightwave front page would look. ;)

T-Light
12-21-2007, 12:52 PM
Slightly OT Intuition but is the little fellow off the 'Surface' series? and do you know if they're making another?

Intuition
12-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Yes, it is Nim from Surface. No, there are no plans for another season.

There was a script for another season but it never got the greenlight.

-EsHrA-
12-22-2007, 05:21 AM
reminds me of 'the host' http://imdb.com/title/tt0468492/

mlon