PDA

View Full Version : Interested in LWCAD

sbloomberg
12-21-2007, 09:06 AM
Hello all.

I have an upcoming project that will require models from AutoCAD. I know Lightwave can be "difficult" when importing other formats so my question is: Will LWCAD import .dxf files cleanly? and Is LWCAD stable with 9.3 (Mac32)? The other reason I'm looking at LWCAD is because of the tool set. Just the types of snap settings are enough to make me drool.

If LWCAD is not the solution, please let me know of other plugins / programs. I have Rhino 3D at home and I think I read somewhere I can convert things from there.

Thanks,
Steve

colkai
12-22-2007, 03:09 AM
Have to agree with Neverko, 100% - once you've enjoyed the modellnig tools in LWCAD 2.5, you'll wonder how you got by without them. :)

kopperdrake
12-22-2007, 04:19 AM
Agreed - the snap tools, especially the rotate snap, is a god-send. Something that was nigh on impossible to do before is a breeze! I find the DXF importer in LWCAD gets most files in, but occasionally I have to use the native LW too - having both gets pretty much everything in. Again, this is all on the PC side - until LW UB is solid with support for FPrime and Leopard I'm not using it on the Mac so I can't help, sorry :/

T-Light
12-23-2007, 01:23 AM
If you post an example 3d dxf we could try it :). Although I should say, I'm pc only too, no reason to think it should work differently in the Mac version though.

kopperdrake
12-23-2007, 04:56 AM
If you buy LWCAD for the PC, can you also install a Mac version instead, as long as it's tied to the same dongle? In which case I could try it on my Mac as a Mac.