PDA

View Full Version : What codec would be best for me??????

ken07
12-21-2007, 05:13 AM
I am shooting on dvcam or consumer dv. I have an SX8 and 4.6 Toaster.
I do not have firewire. Also my lower end professional DVcam deck has svhs and firewire but not component.
So, when I hook up my connections I have been using svhs input from the dv tape and when I master, I master to a dvcam tape and use svhs output. from the sx8.
I do not use lightwave..I simply am editing with effects and cgs.
I had been using uncompressed D1 settings but a friend told me that was overkill and I was wasting space. He got me using dv2 codec and that has been satisfactory, I cant tell the difference between uncompressed and dvtype 2.
under these conditions, what would you experts suggest???
Also if shooting on dvcam and using some consumer dv equipment (higher end consumer), is it worth my buying a dvcam deck that would feed in component? or without using layers of video in lightwave, will dvtype 2 and svhs inputs, be about appropriate for dv footage???
thanks in advance, Ken

chribba
12-21-2007, 06:21 AM
I am shooting on dvcam or consumer dv. I have an SX8 and 4.6 Toaster.
I do not have firewire. Also my lower end professional DVcam deck has svhs and firewire but not component.
So, when I hook up my connections I have been using svhs input from the dv tape and when I master, I master to a dvcam tape and use svhs output. from the sx8.
I do not use lightwave..I simply am editing with effects and cgs.
I had been using uncompressed D1 settings but a friend told me that was overkill and I was wasting space. He got me using dv2 codec and that has been satisfactory, I cant tell the difference between uncompressed and dvtype 2.
under these conditions, what would you experts suggest???
Also if shooting on dvcam and using some consumer dv equipment (higher end consumer), is it worth my buying a dvcam deck that would feed in component? or without using layers of video in lightwave, will dvtype 2 and svhs inputs, be about appropriate for dv footage???
thanks in advance, Ken

As you are using dv you should use firewire. Buy a cheap PCI firewire or you can even find usb-firewire if you dont have any pci´s left on your computer.
Then you capture DV*

chribba

ken07
12-21-2007, 07:13 AM
I had talked to tech support at newtek and they said a firewire card did nothing for me. I thought he said that inside the machine it had to work uncompressed anyway, so it had to convert it from dv codec to uncompressed to process it in the machine..and later it would reincode it to dv for output..
Please explain further why I should have firewire, anyone...or why I do not need it?
Also I asked newtek tech support that if I shot on dvcam and wanted to codec into the toaster at uncompressed for high quality, that they suggested I just go in at svhs if I did not have any component feeder decks. Do you guys think there is a huge difference between component and svhs from a dvcam rough footage? or is it a minor difference . I am talking going in and out svhs vs. component.

Lightwolf
12-21-2007, 07:41 AM
...so it had to convert it from dv codec to uncompressed to process it in the machine..and later it would reincode it to dv for output..
Please explain further why I should have firewire, anyone...or why I do not need it?
The first part is true. The issue comes up when transferring the video from the machine to your computer.
The video is stored natively as DV on tape. In your case it is then decompressed to analogue (which implies a loss) then recaptured again.
You might as well transfer via DV natively. Less spaced used on your disk and no loss due to the dv->analogue conversion.

Cheers,
Mike

ken07
12-21-2007, 07:49 AM
If I am using uncompressed, then I assume I go in via the svhs?

Is there a good quality firewire card that you guys use? Since this does not go thru the sx8, I am a bit confused as to how I transfer the footage to my video hard drives? Is there a utility with the firewire card that allows me to stop and start the record from the dvcam deck, thru the firewire directly to the video hard drives? thanks

Lightwolf
12-21-2007, 07:58 AM
Yup, and that implies a generational loss already.

Is there a good quality firewire card that you guys use?
It really doesn't make much of a difference. The signal is transfered digitally, so the "quality" of the card has no influence on the image quality.

I don't know about the VT, but SE can read from Firewire directly. This is less of a capturing action really, but raw data transfer from the DV tape to your harddisk (similar to just copying data from one disk to the other).

Cheers,
Mike

chribba
12-21-2007, 08:18 AM

Is there a good quality firewire card that you guys use? Since this does not go thru the sx8, I am a bit confused as to how I transfer the footage to my video hard drives? Is there a utility with the firewire card that allows me to stop and start the record from the dvcam deck, thru the firewire directly to the video hard drives? thanks

Check your interface on VT4, you have a panel that says deck control if i remeber right(i am not at my VT right now).
There you can start/stop control your deck when you are connected with firewire.

chribba

Scott Bates
12-21-2007, 08:45 AM
I'm using a "generic" PCI firewire card that cost less than $30 US about three years ago. As Chribba said, VT has a Deck Control module (listed in the VT menu) that you use to control your deck/camera and you will simply be transfering the video and audio data from the tape to your hard drives - no processing involved.

On the other hand, if I want to control/adjust video/audio levels, color correct video, etc., as I'm capturing then I'll use SVHS input to VT, capturing via Program Out. In that case you have the choice of setting up the capture for uncompressed D1, DV, or whatever you want.

ken07
12-21-2007, 08:56 AM
You guys are awesome, thanks and merry christmas.