PDA

View Full Version : Happy Winter Solstice!

colkai
12-21-2007, 01:34 AM
It's early morn' on the 21st of Dec. so I just thought I'd wish all those who enjoy such things and nod to our roots.

Happy a happy winter solstice, may the turning bring you good fortune and happiness.

*Pete*
12-21-2007, 01:37 AM
ah...finally!!...it got awfully dark here already, now every day will be brighter and brigher.

kyuzo
12-21-2007, 02:48 AM
And a Merry Mithrasmas to one and all!

:angel:

omeone
12-21-2007, 03:26 AM
and a beautiful morning it is too

http://www.fodors.com/wire/archives/NEWGRANGE.jpg

colkai
12-21-2007, 03:49 AM
ooh, nice - bet it's chilly mind ye. :)
lovely shot there Omeone.

colkai
12-21-2007, 03:49 AM
ah...finally!!...it got awfully dark here already, now every day will be brighter and brigher.
I guarantee you, the mother in law will be saying this week "you can tell it's getting brighter at night now" :p :D

T-Light
12-21-2007, 10:09 AM
And the Oak god is off on another rampage until summer, good on him too... hate long nights.

Happy Yule everybody.

Steamthrower
12-21-2007, 12:04 PM
I smell human sacrifices in the air.

T-Light
12-21-2007, 12:33 PM
inigo07-

I smell human sacrifices in the air.
You do? Honestly, you Americans and your liberal ways. :D.
We couldn't sacrifice a cabbage over here without HM Gov running a banning order through parliament.

T-Light
12-21-2007, 12:44 PM
Oops, just to clarify, I am in no way affiliated with cabbage sacrificing, or indeed, the sacrificing of any other vedgetable, fruit or mineral.

colkai
12-21-2007, 01:17 PM
Death to overboiled cabbage - it's the only humane thing to do! :p

Steamthrower
12-21-2007, 01:31 PM
You limeys, dressed in Druidic robes and sacrificing cabbage under a full moon! :D

T-Light
12-21-2007, 04:16 PM
Tis a complex issue is the right of sacrificial cabbages.

European law (b22589) states that cabbages can be sacrificed in druidic garb under a full moon during either summer or winter solstice.

However, Gordon Brown fought against our freedom to enact these rights under the recent UK cabbage optouts, so it is in fact illegal under the criminal bill of Oct 2007 (clause 23 h).

All is not lost though, powerfull Legal minds have been looking into a potential loophole, as my learned friend has stated, overboiled cabbage (neither vedgetable nor food under EU law), can indeed by sacrificed by anyone over the age of 36 and three quarters, BUT only under a full moon on the third Saturday of the Month accompanied by a village elder in lederhosen.

Hope that helps dispell the myth that we in the UK are nothing but a bunch of lawless paganised cabbage slashing savages.

Hopper
12-21-2007, 04:36 PM
... BUT only under a full moon on the third Saturday of the Month accompanied by a village elder in lederhosen.
Oh holy crap! I thought it said "TUESDAY"... Uh oh. (starts shoveling the lifeless bodies of young virgin cabbages into the closet). :eek:

*Pete*
12-21-2007, 04:37 PM
Here in scandinavia, traditions is (was) to sacrifice twice a year...in the winter to try to get back the sun (it dissapears for days), and in the summer to keep it from going away (stays up during the nights, cool:))

ted
12-21-2007, 07:51 PM
I celebrated by spending the day skiing, (and a little shooting snowboarders).
It's a powerful day for sure.
One of my best friends birthdays is today. Oddly enough, my birthday is at the other solstice of summer. June 21st.
We've always said that's probably why we get along so well.
Happy winter.

*Pete*
12-22-2007, 05:17 AM
I celebrated by spending the day skiing, (and a little shooting snowboarders).

oh, you americans and your guns:thumbsup:

but its better than gabbage sacrifice...

kopperdrake
12-22-2007, 05:42 AM
Well, I know we should've done it yesterday but we've been invited to take as much willow as we want from the local farmer who's dredged the local drainage ditch and cut down a fair few willows, so our yule log's going on the fire on Christmas Eve :D

colkai
12-22-2007, 07:13 AM
Ahh, open fire, how I miss that. :)
Mind you, don't miss raking it out in a morning. :p

IMI
12-22-2007, 08:40 AM
I couldn't be happier. Winter in Florida is...perfect. Well, it'd be nice if it snowed even lightly just once...
A much-needed relief from the endless Summer. :)

kopperdrake
12-22-2007, 10:23 AM
Hehe - raking it out is my job, my wife's job is to soak the heat up ;) I find it quite therapeutic though but thinking a log-burner would be a lot more efficient, just not as nice to lie in front of with the dog.

How cold do you get it in Florida? I think I'd miss the cold snaps we get here, about 3 degrees at the moment and perfect walking weather :D Plus the beer's guaranteed to be cold if left outside ;)

IMI
12-22-2007, 10:29 AM
Hehe - raking it out is my job, my wife's job is to soak the heat up ;) I find it quite therapeutic though but thinking a log-burner would be a lot more efficient, just not as nice to lie in front of with the dog.

How cold do you get it in Florida? I think I'd miss the cold snaps we get here, about 3 degrees at the moment and perfect walking weather :D Plus the beer's guaranteed to be cold if left outside ;)

Where I'm at, right now it's 59 degrees (F), with a supposed high today of 71, so they say. Partly cloudy, mostly sunny.
That will pretty much be the average until around late April, though we will have several days dipping down to the low 30's at night, and some days when it doesn't go above 45 all day.
That only happens a few times, and it's rare for those kinds of temperatures to persist for more than a couple days. All depends on how much cold air from the north is making it down here.
We'll also have several days in the 80's, even maybe as late as late January.
I love the winters, but hate the summers.

ted
12-22-2007, 11:03 AM
oh, you americans and your guns:thumbsup:

Yeh, but it's just snowboarders! :D
It got down to minus 8 degrees on the way to skiing here in Sunny California. Of course that was at 7000 feet.