PDA

View Full Version : 1/4" headphone jack

anyheck
12-20-2007, 05:14 PM
All of my pro-audio gear has 1/4" plugs and thus I've got 1/4" on my headphones.

When I stick a 1/8"M to 1/4"F adapter on my phone connector I have a 4"-long-thing dangling off ready to be snapped off. If there were a 1/4"F then my plugs would be perfect and a 1/4"M to 1/8"F adapter (at least all the ones I've seen) would only stick out by about 1/4" from the face of the Tricaster.

I'd guess there is plenty of room since the L/R audio outs are already that depth.

Regards,
Sten Thornburg
NOPSTV

PIZAZZ
12-21-2007, 08:12 AM
First off Let me say I agree completely. I would much rather have a 1/4" jack for headphone out. Especially since many times I use that to give me a dedicated output of the DDR's audio.

To help make a situation better.... look for an adapter/cable that is a right angle 1/8" to female 1/8". Cut the Female off and solder a 1/4" female there. Then you will not have this 4" long extension hanging off the front.

Hope that helps. :)

anyheck
12-21-2007, 10:37 AM
First off Let me say I agree completely. I would much rather have a 1/4" jack for headphone out. Especially since many times I use that to give me a dedicated output of the DDR's audio.

To help make a situation better.... look for an adapter/cable that is a right angle 1/8" to female 1/8". Cut the Female off and solder a 1/4" female there. Then you will not have this 4" long extension hanging off the front.

Hope that helps. :)

Oh yeah this is a great idea and I'll be doing it post haste and zip-tying the 1/4" F to the top or side of the box so it's semi permanent. If there wasn't a pesky warranty to void, I'd probably just be cracking the case and drilling that sucker out. :D

Thanks again,
Sten

billmi
12-21-2007, 10:41 AM
Yep. When I was in school, we had several beta (betamax, not betacam - don't expect California State University to spend money on video gear when the football stadium needs new turf) cameras with bad mic jacks - all from the strain of phono connectors. From that lesson, I've always used right angle connectors secured to the surface with gaffers tape on anything semi-mobile, so there's nothing to lever on a phono jack.

CreatvGnius
01-01-2008, 11:08 PM
Oh yeah this is a great idea and I'll be doing it post haste and zip-tying the 1/4" F to the top or side of the box so it's semi permanent. If there wasn't a pesky warranty to void, I'd probably just be cracking the case and drilling that sucker out. :D

Thanks again,
Sten

While I use a 1/8" right-angle adaptor with a female jack on its end, for plugging a 1/8" stereo audio cable into that headphone jack, here's another consideration for you, Sten:

You could purchase a 1/8" to 1/4" phone plug adaptor cable from an electronics store. Place one on the end of your headphone cable. Come to think of it, Radio Shack even sells these -- and probably in varying lengths. Only don't get one that's flimsily built.
-PeterG