PDA

View Full Version : ***Some Safety Advice I want to Share***

zapper1998
12-20-2007, 05:09 PM
Just a tid bit..

U only have 2 eyes, 1 spare, no replacements, Take care of your eye's, Please.

Take a 15 minute break every hour U work at the computer..

Michael

Stooch
12-20-2007, 05:57 PM
that blue font combined with white background has damaged my retinas!

meshpig
12-20-2007, 10:49 PM
Just a tid bit..

U only have 2 eyes, 1 spare, no replacements, Take care of your eye's, Please.

Take a 15 minute break every hour U work at the computer..

Michael

Zapper, I read this on my post

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77670

and thought a discussion about the pros and cons of using computers where your eyes are concerned would have been a little tedious.

You are absolutely right, look after your eyes in any case because it's easy to take them for granted.

But taking a rest every 2 hours on the computer is just for your own comfort, it's easy to get uncomfortable and be affected by eye-strain, feel nauseous and not be able to work etc. But in fact long periods of time in front of a computer has no detrimental effect on the eyes themselves, which function best when they are in use.

I'm lucky because I don't experience the same degree of sensitivity to light, the electric charge in the cones doesn't pull the eye one way or another so quickly so I never get either eye-strain or have any problem being at he screen for long periods of time... though your butt needs a break for exercise lest it turn to a lump of lard.

Most will experience some eyesight deterioration going into old age, it isn't
the end of the world and you would be amazed at how much of vision is actually memory.

-When you consider there a millions of cells in the Retina each with a unique path to a specific part of the brain, what a cluster of cells sees, as it were, even if it's only a small patch is "hard-wired" (unless you are born sightless).

That is the brain takes it as valid. So, with very little eyesight, the brain can
compensate and it certainly works in 3D graphics. I can't watch Films or TV because it's not possible to make anything out of the movement, but in 3D
the movement is conceptual and close-up I get the full whack of visual sensation.

Cool hey!

M

meshpig
12-21-2007, 01:04 AM
... I'll take that a bit further. The Retina is made out of brain cells, so to speak. Exact same tissue, so it isn't gruesome to say Eye's are just evolution extending the nervous system... coming from the nerve clusters in Silurian fish which gained complexity over time ... and see them as the brain turned inside out to expose it's folds to the environment.

Eyes are the most precise sensory organ, but then as organs, the Liver and Kidneys probably come up with the same precision on a basic chemical level. -

Like everyone has a blind-spot, just where the visual cortex plugs into the Retina, but you don't notice it because of the persistence of vision.

With major sight impairment you just have a bigger blind-spot which you do notice ( because it can be very restrictive), but the brain just asks politely whether there's anything going on there and waits for a response. That's hard to describe because it isn't black and you can't represent what it looks like by distorting images in photoshop.

What happens is the "brain" just ignores the messages and presents a mnemonic alternative... which is fascinating.

Like in vision impaired Karate, the more "blind" the player is the higher they score because referring to physical actions visually only slows them down.

- More important I reckon is to take the spectrum of looking and treat it as reading too and refine a way of seeing which gives you the maximum.

m,

Matt
12-21-2007, 08:38 AM
I've kind of become used to my computer screen, much helped when TFT screens became common place!

I sit at a PC all day, come home, and fire up my home PC, done this every day for years!

I'm doomed!

OOZZEE
12-21-2007, 08:49 AM
you are lucky if your employer lets you take a break of 15 minutes out of every hour... ;-)

colkai
12-21-2007, 08:50 AM
hehe, me too, Been at a computer now for over 17 years for one reason or another. Before then, well, they weren't called computers, but they had a VDU anyhoo and there was me, in front of one. :p

Of course, before that it was easier on your eyes as it was all on punched card and paper tape. Yes, alas, I DO remember those days.

art
12-21-2007, 08:52 AM
Maybe the nature will adapt the eyes of future generations so that they could stare at computer screens for hours, who knows.
Colkai, I recall computers being called computers 20 or so years ago, so maybe you've been at it for well over 17 years :)

colkai
12-21-2007, 01:26 PM
Ahem, shuffles, looks at feet .. I *may* have been. ;)
Back when debugging required some black tape, a milled block and a hole punch. :p

For you youngsters who have no idea what I'm on about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_tape

Steamthrower
12-21-2007, 01:32 PM
How old? Nah, shurely not.

jcupp
12-21-2007, 03:18 PM
I, not too long ago, did a training video for a defense contractor covering the Identification - Friend of Foe system for a shoulder mounted rocket launcher that uses paper tape to store the cryptographic keys. The reasoning was the tapes are easy to destroy with nothing more than a zippo in case of impending capture.

RudySchneider
12-21-2007, 03:53 PM
Humbug! WiFi, Internet, GPS, they're all justa passing fad! I relish bringing back the days of the IBM1620, when I had to submit punch-cards for programs written in FORTRAN. THOSE were the days when one's mettle was tested, just for the mere fact that a syntax error, or a card out of place, cost you a few hours in the batch-processing loop! What sheer joy!

Hopper
12-21-2007, 04:46 PM
Ahem, shuffles, looks at feet .. I *may* have been. ;)
Back when debugging required some black tape, a milled block and a hole punch. :p

For you youngsters who have no idea what I'm on about.
Ah.. good times .. good times.

I remember sitting at the green monochrome 4.77MHz monster for so long, everything white was pink for about two hours afterwards. And if you've never had that odd sensation, go set your desktop to a bright green color and stare at it for about 10 minutes, then look up at a whilte wall.

I can attest to the whole eye strain thing. No one in my family wears glasses except me. Hell, my 94 year old grandmother doesn't even wear glasses. 20 years staring at CRT's is HIGHLY damaging. Take a break once in a while.

cresshead
12-21-2007, 06:05 PM
http://www.lhc.org.uk/members/pubs/books/vdu/vd02.htm

take a read...but have a break if your a slow reader!

gerry_g
12-21-2007, 06:08 PM
My first modeler was Amapi5.1 that was green wire frame on a black background, man was that taxing on the eyeballs doing long stints. Get a 30' flat panel you'll be able to sit 3 to 4 feet away from it and you'll have way less of the sore eyes and blurry vision thing.

IMI
12-21-2007, 06:47 PM
My first modeler was Amapi5.1 that was green wire frame on a black background, man was that taxing on the eyeballs doing long stints. Get a 30' flat panel you'll be able to sit 3 to 4 feet away from it and you'll have way less of the sore eyes and blurry vision thing.

My first Modeler was Rhino and I set it up like that - bright green wireframe against a black background. Was definitely not good.

30' flat panel, huh? 3 to 4 feet away? I'd imagine you could probably sit across the street if you have one of those. ;)

colkai
12-22-2007, 03:14 AM
How old? Nah, shurely not.
:D :D Ferzakerly!

colkai
12-22-2007, 03:15 AM

I remember sitting at the green monochrome 4.77MHz monster for so long, everything white was pink for about two hours afterwards. And if you've never had that odd sensation, go set your desktop to a bright green color and stare at it for about 10 minutes, then look up at a whilte wall.
Oh man, I forgot all about those sorts of things, gawd knows what the old VDU's were pumping out back then. Could account for my mental state these days. :p

gerry_g
12-22-2007, 03:32 AM
30' flat panel, huh? 3 to 4 feet away? I'd imagine you could probably sit across the street if you have one of those.

One can only hope and dream..........OK inches (") not feet(') my fingers were arguing with my keyboard late last night and my keyboard won :(

Cageman
12-22-2007, 04:43 AM
I've kind of become used to my computer screen, much helped when TFT screens became common place!

I sit at a PC all day, come home, and fire up my home PC, done this every day for years!

I'm doomed!

Hahaha... that's exactly what I do as well... WE are doomed, Matt! :)

meshpig
12-22-2007, 05:09 AM
You guys are funny! Eyes might be balls but it isn't a question how your monitor is going...

m

IMI
12-22-2007, 08:09 AM
One can only hope and dream..........OK inches (") not feet(') my fingers were arguing with my keyboard late last night and my keyboard won :(

Yeah, I know. I was just having some fun. :)

Red_Oddity
12-22-2007, 12:31 PM

I can attest to the whole eye strain thing. No one in my family wears glasses except me. Hell, my 94 year old grandmother doesn't even wear glasses. 20 years staring at CRT's is HIGHLY damaging. Take a break once in a while.

Not too mention the amount of radiation those things spat in your face (i'm 31 and even i had one of those green monochrome monitors when i was a kid).

The reason you knew those monitors where bad for you was because even after the darn thing had been un-plugged and not used for more than two months, the things still glowed green in the dark...creepy...

Steamthrower
12-24-2007, 07:33 AM
My first monitor (this was in 1994 or 1996, can't remember which) would keep the Windows 3.1 desktop glowing long after you turned the monitor off.

Yeah, young guy here, who sadly can't reminisce about Commodores and DOS and Apple IIs. I feel so left out. :(

Stooch
12-24-2007, 08:21 AM
the first computer i ever used was in a russian research lab in 89, i was young at the time, maybe 8-9 years old, i remember being scared to death of the compute rbecause it was as loud as a vacuum cleaner. i **** you not. even when my father launched a primitive home made game on the computer it did not ease my apprehension.

radioactive monitor and all.

Steamthrower
12-24-2007, 10:23 AM
Not to be especially critical of the Soviets or anything, but I'd hate to operate anything that complex built by the Russians. The majority of the aerial pilot deaths in World War Two was caused by faulty aircraft engineering.

DiedonD
12-25-2007, 11:42 PM
My first computer was a ZX Spectrum. It was basically a keyboard, dont know the details, but probably may not have ay disk space or something, cause you would download the data of a game with a tape. And during the "download" if the tape was faulty, you shouldnt move, or even breath sometimes so as it wont come up like" R TAPE LOADING", meaning you had to stop the tape, and restart it all and replay it again, a procedure that sometimes lasted for a half an hour, for EXTREEMLY lousy (But then very interesting) games. Then came Comodores, Amstrad, and much later the PC with CPU 186,286,386,486,586 and I was telling my friends that from a Pentium a Sixtium will come up. Everyone believed me. But it never did LOL. Yeah those were the times.

Anyway, regarding eyes. You really should take a good care of em, cause one way to have an eye therapy is the infamous laser therapy.

So you might think that you just sit there, some guy comes in, says "Say cheese" and your blasted with lasers on your eye retina, and immediately come out with improved eyes.

Thats the image they want you to have...Until you enter the Operation Room.... Then they start explaining how will the operation be. And its nothing like the images some creep modeled and rendered for you to be fooled with. Yes lasers are involved but hear me out. First theres this eye layer on the eye. That is on the way of the laser. So what they do is CCUUTTT ITTT OUTT!!! And not with a laser, but with a medical drill. They cutt and after telling you to try to hold your eyes as still as possible during the cutt aswell. Of course before this, theyve already applied all kinda precoutions. Like the ones that the aliens used on that guy that was captured on that movie, cant recall its name. They cover the other eye, put some metally things so as the eye cant rotate, they put these in the eye lead area. Puor liquid on your eye, all kinds of them... COOOLD. And then they say hold still, as they drill away that first layer. And then, its all WAAAY too blurry. At this time you get shot with bluish lasers. And you can smell it burning. Then they put the cut first layer back, and give you some big wide glassess so as while the layer gets reattached to your eye, the instinctive scratches that you would want to touch, would be prevented by this huge plastic glass. And all kinda antibiotic and other liquids follow, for the rest of six months. The worse thing is, like any other operation, the Pain of course. But it will hurt if your eyes are closed or open regardless, and your not suppose to force close them or anything. You suppose to sit and endure. If you remove the glasses and scratch your itchy eye, you risk loosing that layer, and then theyll reimplement the same but made from specialized plastic for you to wear for all your life. Highly not recomendable and expensive.

So yes.... Take care of your eyes, please.... DEMANDDD the bloody 15 minutes each hour, or the above is one of concequences that may happen to you too...

meshpig
12-26-2007, 05:11 AM
My first computer was a ZX Spectrum. It was basically a keyboard, dont know the details, but probably may not have ay disk space or something, cause you would download the data of a game with a tape. And during the "download" if the tape was faulty, you shouldnt move, or even breath sometimes so as it wont come up like" R TAPE LOADING", meaning you had to stop the tape, and restart it all and replay it again, a procedure that sometimes lasted for a half an hour, for EXTREEMLY lousy (But then very interesting) games. Then came Comodores, Amstrad, and much later the PC with CPU 186,286,386,486,586 and I was telling my friends that from a Pentium a Sixtium will come up. Everyone believed me. But it never did LOL. Yeah those were the times.

Anyway, regarding eyes. You really should take a good care of em, cause one way to have an eye therapy is the infamous laser therapy.

So you might think that you just sit there, some guy comes in, says "Say cheese" and your blasted with lasers on your eye retina, and immediately come out with improved eyes.

Thats the image they want you to have...Until you enter the Operation Room.... Then they start explaining how will the operation be. And its nothing like the images some creep modeled and rendered for you to be fooled with. Yes lasers are involved but hear me out. First theres this eye layer on the eye. That is on the way of the laser. So what they do is CCUUTTT ITTT OUTT!!! And not with a laser, but with a medical drill. They cutt and after telling you to try to hold your eyes as still as possible during the cutt aswell. Of course before this, theyve already applied all kinda precoutions. Like the ones that the aliens used on that guy that was captured on that movie, cant recall its name. They cover the other eye, put some metally things so as the eye cant rotate, they put these in the eye lead area. Puor liquid on your eye, all kinds of them... COOOLD. And then they say hold still, as they drill away that first layer. And then, its all WAAAY too blurry. At this time you get shot with bluish lasers. And you can smell it burning. Then they put the cut first layer back, and give you some big wide glassess so as while the layer gets reattached to your eye, the instinctive scratches that you would want to touch, would be prevented by this huge plastic glass. And all kinda antibiotic and other liquids follow, for the rest of six months. The worse thing is, like any other operation, the Pain of course. But it will hurt if your eyes are closed or open regardless, and your not suppose to force close them or anything. You suppose to sit and endure. If you remove the glasses and scratch your itchy eye, you risk loosing that layer, and then theyll reimplement the same but made from specialized plastic for you to wear for all your life. Highly not recomendable and expensive.

So yes.... Take care of your eyes, please.... DEMANDDD the bloody 15 minutes each hour, or the above is one of concequences that may happen to you too...

Mad. That's nothing, ever had an ERG (electro retina graph... with gold tipped contact lenses and electrodes stuck/not stuck to your peepers for 3 hours in a dark room in front of a strobe light )?

Sorry, gonna have to insist I take the p**s again. Laser therapy? It just corrects the shape of the cornea and it does for simple astigmatism. That's a good thing for most.

Eyes are cool, but it isn't like having your balls/ovaries cut-off if something goes wrong.

- Flush warm then cold water into your left ear and your eyes move accordingly. The skull is an acoustic masterpiece and we are living in a machine building civilization.

Yep, it isn't without it's extensive problems.

M:)

Hopper
12-26-2007, 09:06 PM
the first computer i ever used was in a russian research lab in 89, i was young at the time, maybe 8-9 years old, i remember being scared to death of the computer...
I think I'd be more scared of being in a Russian research lab at 8 or 9 years old! I hope you were just visiting! :alien:

Stooch
12-27-2007, 12:58 AM
Not to be especially critical of the Soviets or anything, but I'd hate to operate anything that complex built by the Russians. The majority of the aerial pilot deaths in World War Two was caused by faulty aircraft engineering.

sources?

Stooch
12-27-2007, 12:58 AM
I think I'd be more scared of being in a Russian research lab at 8 or 9 years old! I hope you were just visiting! :alien:

are you serious?

Steamthrower
12-27-2007, 07:11 AM
sources?

I read that in a book somewhere. Online I couldn't find anything except this quote from Wikipedia on the LaGG-3 (one of the most prevalent Soviet fighters in WW2, with 6,258 built):

...even with the lighter airframe and supercharged engine, the LaGG-3 was underpowered and proved immensely unpopular with pilots. The novel, wood-laminate construction of the aircraft continued to be poor quality (as with its predecessor) and pilots joked that rather than being an acronym of the designers' names (Lavochkin, Gorbunov, and Goudkov) "LaGG" stood for lakirovanny garantirovanny grob ("guaranteed varnished coffin" - лакированный гарантированный гроб). Some aircraft supplied to the front line were up to 40 km/h (25 mph) slower than they should have been and some were not airworthy.

Stooch
12-27-2007, 09:06 AM
I read that in a book somewhere. Online I couldn't find anything except this quote from Wikipedia on the LaGG-3 (one of the most prevalent Soviet fighters in WW2, with 6,258 built):

hhahhhah. thats the best you got?

i wont go into a huge argument here because cleary you have no idea what you are talking about. but i highly suggest you do your research before you open your mouth and say something stupid like that again. Im curious to see what you "read somewhere" and wikipedia is a joke for sources. As far as funny acronyms that refer to a poorly built aircraft, both US and britain had plenty of those. things like that tend to happen when your country is under attack, and has to rush airframes out ASAP.

russian airforce was mostly destroyed on the ground during the surprise attack, so most airplanes were lost without ever even taking off. for the most of the war russian airforce was unorganized and outdated, nothing to do with poor engineering (however most were western imports anyway), as far as airframes, some of the best are russian built. the IL2 was the best tankbuster in ww2 and infact inspired the a10 warthog. It was really the first aircraft of its kind and is an amazing piece of machinery by all accounts. anyway just so you know, you made a really ignorant comment thats not even backed up by facts. almost as if you were looking to get a rise out of me, but ended up falling flat on your face.

Stooch
12-27-2007, 09:14 AM
anyway if you talk to any airplane afficionado (im one of them) there is a whole host of fantastic aircraft that came from russia. you just have to do a bit of research before you open your mouth instead of hastily trying to find sources (on wikipedia of all things) to try to back up your claims after the fact. lol.

Steamthrower
12-27-2007, 09:22 AM
Last thing I wanted to do was start an argument. But I stand by what I said.

Russian manufacturing is crap. Russian engineering is crap. Communism does not engender creative engineering (after Communism, there were also no more literary greats like Tolstoy or Solzhenitsyn or Nabokov).

All I'm saying is that Communism destroyed Russia and all of Russia's culture and all of the possible desire to create and manufacture quality items. Ask any of the deformed folk from Chernobyl about that.

*ducks and waits for tirade*

Stooch
12-27-2007, 09:24 AM
lol. you are just here to antagonise and not worthy of my time.

Steamthrower
12-27-2007, 09:29 AM
Holy smokin' Moses, I'm not antagonising anybody! If someone says "open your mouth and say something stupid", "falling flat on your face", "made a really ignorant comment", and "cleary you have no idea what you are talking about", I'm going to defend myself.

Just because I unintentionally hurt your homeland pride or whatever doesn't mean I'm trying to be antagonistic. This stemmed from the light-hearted, joking reference to a Russian Research Lab in 1988, which everyone can laugh at and wonder if they were genetically engineering humans or something. I was engaging in a social chat complete with small talk. I stand by what I said.

Hopper
12-27-2007, 09:53 AM
:argue:

This stemmed from the light-hearted, joking reference to a Russian Research Lab in 1988, which everyone can laugh at and wonder if they were genetically engineering humans or something.
This is true. I wasn't serious. The fact that I used the reference "Russian" was only due to the fact that I am a lazy typist. The entire line was a copy/paste from your original post Stooch. My emphasis was more or less on the fact that it was a "research lab" - and not it's particular location.

Due to the humorous nature of previous posts, I didn't think I had to clarify the obvious. Again, I'm a lazy typist - my appologies.

Hopper
12-27-2007, 10:04 AM
ANYWAY ...

So who else has been burning their retinas out for 15-20+ years?

side note: Looking through an old box I thought I had thrown away many moves ago, I found something that really made me laugh. It was none other than an original Herculese Graphics card. That thing brought back horrible memories. lol. For you youngsters ... the card was the first graphics card ever produced for PC based systems. It was monochrome only and would do absolutely horrible things to your monitor. Many monitors never survived. Some simply let out one final squeel and poof....

Steamthrower
12-27-2007, 10:17 AM
I read that the average American watches four hours of TV a day...which is astounding to me (but then again I don't watch TV at all). A television set hurts my eyes way more than a computer monitor ever does.

Weird thing: I'm particularly sensitive to any CRT devices. I can hear the whine from a hundred feet away and it drives me insane unless I'm directly watching the TV which naturally has other, louder sounds. Some people have used this fact to reason (illogically, I say!) that I am retarded or autistic but I choose to refute that fact. Anybody else have that problem? The ultrasonic whine? Makes you walk around the place looking for a TV or hulking yellowed monitor that some goof left on?

krimpr
12-27-2007, 10:23 AM

You're kidding right? Russian engineering and manufacture of military hardware has always been considered to be formidable. You've heard of the cold war, right? Sputnik? Migs? The "cobra manouver" that would stip the wings off of American aircraft? While it may or may not be true that there were an inordinate number of aircraft failures during the war, that may have been attributable to manufacturing... not necessarily flawed design. Hasty production could easily have been a contributor to that; the fact that they were at war could easily have given the Russians the illusion that there was some urgency in building them. The American military considered Russian engineering to be a legitimate threat; I don't know why you wouldn't. Their motorcycles suck though. :D

Hopper
12-27-2007, 11:20 AM
I read that the average American watches four hours of TV a day...
I can't stand watching TV anymore either. I think I've spent a total of about 4-6 hours in front of a TV in the past year.

Weird thing: I'm particularly sensitive to any CRT devices. I can hear the whine from a hundred feet away and it drives me insane
Yup. The kids can turn the TV on and I can hear the squeel from the other side of the house. It's mostly the 15kHz+ freq range of the scan. Most people lose that range after about 30, but I can hear it loud and clear. It's quite annoying really.

Stooch
12-27-2007, 12:34 PM
actually this stemmed from us talking about whats burning our retinas, which i made a lighthearted post about. you came out of nowhere and starting to rip on russian engineering (irony, the pc i was talking about was an IBM). why is that? sure you have some views that might be antagonizing and believe i have some thoughts about you that might be antagonizing, but what made you bring it up when its completely unrelated to the discussion? as far as my statements that you dont know what you are talking about, its backed by facts. you clearly dont know much about this topic and are spouting dumb generalizations. the reason why im saying dumb is because they are dumb and there is really no defending yourself, because if anything you sounded even dumber with your response.

its like me saying that all Americans are closed minded idiots who don't know jack **** about the world that surrounds them, basing my opinion solely on you. but i know thats not the case because i actually live in America so i have an intimate understanding. Same way that i have a more intimate understanding of Russian culture and their achievements. I could also go on to try to insult american culture "to defend myself" but then i would just sound as dumb as you do.

Holy smokin' Moses, I'm not antagonising anybody! If someone says "open your mouth and say something stupid", "falling flat on your face", "made a really ignorant comment", and "cleary you have no idea what you are talking about", I'm going to defend myself.

Just because I unintentionally hurt your homeland pride or whatever doesn't mean I'm trying to be antagonistic. This stemmed from the light-hearted, joking reference to a Russian Research Lab in 1988, which everyone can laugh at and wonder if they were genetically engineering humans or something. I was engaging in a social chat complete with small talk. I stand by what I said.

oldtekerr
12-27-2007, 12:38 PM
actually this stemmed from us talking about whats burning our retinas, which i made a lighthearted post about. you came out of nowhere and starting to rip on russian engineering. why is that? sure you have some views that might be antagonizing and believe i have some thoughts about you that might be antagonizing, but what made you bring it up when its completely unrelated to the discussion? as far as my statements that you dont know what you are talking about, its backed by facts. you clearly dont know much about this topic and are spouting dumb generalizations. the reason why im saying dumb is because they are dumb and there is really no defending yourself, because if anything you sounded even dumber with your response.

its like me saying that all Americans are closed minded idiots who don't know jack **** about the world that surrounds them, basing my opinion solely on you. but i know thats not the case because i actually live in America so i have an intimate understanding.

do you?
So are you saying that all Russians dont drink vodka?:D

Stooch
12-27-2007, 12:41 PM
I drink far less vodka then my american friends. so yes its yet another generalization. sort of like all americans eat burgers all day and are fat, poorly educated and lazy... it would be dumb to "stand by it".

anyway i think indigo already built a case against his intellect better then i could so ill let it rest :)

Steamthrower
12-27-2007, 12:41 PM
It's mostly the 15kHz+ freq range of the scan. Most people lose that range after about 30, but I can hear it loud and clear.

I've found that when watching old TVs, like really old TVs, it's even worse. Some of those old electronics are pretty scary. I remember using an old oscilloscope with bare terminals that would electrocute you if you were just a bit careless...

IMI
12-27-2007, 07:35 PM
I'll tell you one thing which might be bad on the eyes...
I now have one 24 inch LCD monitor at 1680 x 1050 and a 19" CRT monitor at 1280 x 1024 in a dual monitor setup. It's driving me nuts the way the LCD is so clear, crisp and bright, and the CRT which used to look just fine, now seems all dull and blurry.
It's probably worse on the sanity than the eyes though. :D