PDA

View Full Version : Another reason to love Newtek...

Paintmonkey
12-20-2007, 02:44 PM
I had upgraded to LW 8.5 right before 9 came out, and was looking to upgrade again. I called Newtek customer service to order it, and they said I was entitled to an upgrade for free (guess I forgot about it).

Anyway, they saved me a few bucks and the trouble, and are some of the friendliest people in the business.

I don't think any other software company would be that generous, so if you are on the fringe about buying a Newtek product don't hesitate, especially given the value. If only Adobe was this good.

Paintmonkey
LW user since 1992

Steamthrower
12-20-2007, 03:17 PM
:agree:

If only Autodesk were this good.
If only Microsoft were this good.
If only Avid were this good.

kopperdrake
12-20-2007, 03:50 PM
Oh yes - NewTek are really generous on this front. Plus they let you install their software on any platform you can, in any flavour, without it being bound to that platform.

colkai
12-21-2007, 01:42 AM
Yep, on top of all that, you get free point upgrades an NO maintenance fees.

Plus, unlike many other companies, they don't suddenly hike the price of the product. (A la Motionbuilder from Kaydara / Alias / Autodesk / Dr Evil :p)

GandB
12-21-2007, 06:39 AM
I'll concur with this sentiment, as they were more than generous with me.:)

-Keith

Joker II
12-21-2007, 06:43 AM
Hope you guys don't mind me adding one:

Recently upgraded to 9.2 without any problems, but, decided to buy the upgrade to LWCAD 2.5 but had trouble in getting the payment done by VISA. LW Europe called me to check what the problem might be and helped me with it.

Now, you might say, yeah, but, they where able to sell a product, ok, but, getting that kind of help for 94.00's, that's what I CALL customer service :thumbsup:

Keep up the good work NewTek, loyal :lwicon: user forever :agree:

iainbyoung
12-21-2007, 06:45 AM
Oh yes - NewTek are really generous on this front. Plus they let you install their software on any platform you can, in any flavour, without it being bound to that platform.

Unless you buy Speededit, which is tied to the hardware of the first machine you install it on, and can be invalidated simply by applying windows updates...

UnCommonGrafx
12-21-2007, 07:22 AM
Now now, ianbyoung,
don't soil a perfectly good and positive post by speaking the truth.

;)

I've been able to move my license about generously so far. So, though I did start a thread on just this topic, the licensing scheme hasn't gotten in the way.

iainbyoung
12-21-2007, 07:25 AM
Sorry :foreheads

I admit that they did eventually issue me a new code when it happened to me. Took a couple of days though...

bjornkn
12-21-2007, 07:38 AM
And they don't bloat the price, so that we here in Norway have to pay a much hgher price than you pay in the US, like Adobe and Maxon do (and probably Autodesk as well - but I haven't checked their prices for years).

GandB
12-21-2007, 07:46 AM
I'd also like to add that although I may be getting Max in the next year or so (for game development), I'll never get rid of my Lightwave; mainly due to the community here and the support from NewTek (specifically Zane Condren). That, and there is still a few things that LW does better. :)

-Keith

Cageman
12-24-2007, 10:10 AM
As I've said in other threads, I almost feel like I'm ripping off NewTek. I bought LW8.3 and got free upgrades throughout 8.x as well as 9.x. :)

A toast for NTs upgrade policy!

Hip, hip, Hurray... :)

Puguglybonehead
12-24-2007, 11:48 PM
As I've said in other threads, I almost feel like I'm ripping off NewTek. I bought LW8.3 and got free upgrades throughout 8.x as well as 9.x. :)

A toast for NTs upgrade policy!

Hip, hip, Hurray... :)

Exactly the same time I purchased LW. I'm still amazed at getting all these updates for free. Nothing but :) here.

Cheers, Newtek!

JCG
12-26-2007, 01:29 AM
They've been good to me to the point that I feel it's unfair to them. I got an academic version of LW5.6. It gave me a free ride all through the [6] cycle. Buying just one normal upgrade took me all the way to the last version of the LW8 cycle, turned my license to commercial for free and, as if it wasn't enough, gave me a free DFX+.

I thought I'd buy 9 to say thanks but it came with free Vue5 Infinite and LWCAD and the point updates have added so many features that I feel even more in debt with them now.

Anti-Distinctly
12-27-2007, 04:34 AM
This morning I finally managed to buy my very own copy of Lightwave. I've tried several times before, but problems with my card meant the sale didn't go through. I know, that they're getting a sale out of it, but all the lovely french ladies at Newtek Europe were so helpful and patient with me, I thought that this is the perfect place to write about it :D
And all the ladies in the office knew me by name when I first called...strange.

Bog
12-27-2007, 03:55 PM
Congrats, Anti!

I have a litany of similar tales. My Parallel dongle crapped out in the middle of a job, I got a new one from NewTek Europe as fast as the postal service could travel - I think it was about 3 days total turnaround time, so once it arrived I think they must have spent about six seconds processing me.

Later, my backpack containing my dongle was stolen from a train. I was utterly distraught, thinking "Well, crap, that's my proof of purchase" and knowing I wasn't able to afford a whole new license - aside from replacing my dongle on the strength of a crime number from the Transport Police, BeeVee spent much longer than he was getting paid to talking a bloke he didn't know from a bar of soap (at the time, these days I have the privilege of considering him a true and valued friend) out of a wittering panic attack and sympathising with me over my loss until I stopped freaking out and started acting sensibly again.

Those are just a couple of examples. Whenever anything's gone wonky, NewTek Europe and NewTek US have always been fantastic about helping out, and as stated their generosity with the upgrade cycles is just unbeatable.

Thanks again, you lot. You rock.

Steamthrower
12-28-2007, 06:56 AM
:lightwave

Go NewTek. Give us new CA and we'll be eternally indebted.

*Pete*
12-28-2007, 07:52 AM
As Cageman said, i also feel that i am somehow ripping of NT with every beta/update i download for free...it feels like pirated software, but it is not.

NT has a well earned reputation in customer handling, nobody can say anything against that.
We may scream and yell when it comes to the ways NT is marketing LW and smaller things like that, but as bad as they can be to get new customers, they are superb in keeping and spoiling its existing customers.

edit: i forgot these :I_Love_Ne :lightwave :thumbsup: :lwicon:

sword1
12-28-2007, 11:39 AM
This upgrade policy is one of the things that's impressed me most about Newtek.

I got into Lightwave 'on the cheap' in the first place, as I took advantage of the Lightwave / Vue combo deal which was offered a couple of years ago.......then I received LWCAD 1.5 for free.......and since then I've received multiples of upgrades from Newtek.

Someone suggested that this put a whole new meaning to the term "riding the wave". I agreed with them.

Thanks, Newtek!

:newtek: :thumbsup:

Dexter2999
12-28-2007, 11:49 AM
I won't back down with my beef about priorities of Newtek marketing.

I will say the Customer service is top notch.

Lamont
01-01-2008, 07:32 PM
NT is good. I was getting pissed off at my 9.3 activation codes not working, and even though I was getting to be a jerk a few times, they took care of it :D.

thisguy
01-01-2008, 07:37 PM
NT, NT he's our man... if he cant do it, blender can!:bday:

arrow1234
01-02-2008, 09:14 AM
not only this, i love LW also because all the free vid tut from Will
:P