PDA

View Full Version : Hi Newtek did you get my mail? <- The LW8 and DFX+ offer

Trulsi
07-08-2003, 03:27 AM
I have sent two mails to Newtek customer support and one to Newtek Europe. Since I need to find out quick, I'll post it here as well:

A few weeks ago my local reseller sent out a mail to all their customers with an offer to upgrade any version of Lightwave to 7.5 and receive DFX+ with two modules along with a free upgrade to LW8.
_
I have a Lightwave 7.5 student license. Does this offer apply to me, and will it upgrade my license to a commercial one? I sure hope so!

Best Regards,

Truls O. Johansen
Norway

Trulsi
07-09-2003, 04:46 AM
Anyone home? I need to find out if I have to reserve the money to take on your offer when my reseller comes home from vaccation.

Bytehawk
07-09-2003, 04:50 AM
AFAIK

yes and yes

Trulsi
07-09-2003, 05:24 AM
Hi Bytehawk,

Yes, at first I thought so as well. But the Newtek license policy says that if you have a Student license, you can upgrade it to a commercial one by buying a version upgrade. My reseller said that this is not a version upgrade, and that I therefore cannot take advantage of the offer. However, the offer is so good I can't give up without hearing it from Newtek.

Trulsi
07-10-2003, 01:13 PM
Anyone know why it takes Newtek support a week to answer emails?

TyVole
07-10-2003, 01:36 PM
Because they only answer e-mails when they're not answering phone calls. It's always better to call them.

Trulsi
07-10-2003, 03:05 PM
Hmm. Poor phonebill... And try to explain the situation when they don't understand my English? haha. Well if they don't respond for another couple of days I'll give it a go.

GCL
07-10-2003, 07:24 PM
Hello all !
Same here ! I have the same situation and sent off an email for details and no responses as of yet. I noticed just a day or so ago the offer was still there but no longer for the DFX offer, etc.

Once Newtek can give " educational " users an answer, things will get going, both ways. I hope they can still offer us the "deal"
and go commercial.
Unless, they have another offer too good to pass up at Siggraph !

Time will tell and hope for a response.

Trulsi
07-11-2003, 04:00 AM
Glad to hear that we're in the same boat! The only offer better than this would be if they threw in a videotoaster as well:-) Over here the DFX-offer is valid until the 31. of july.

GCL
07-11-2003, 06:20 PM
Hello there again,

Just to let you know I cruised around and found a source for our questions. If you go to the Keyframe web site (LW magazine),
you will find they are still selling at special prices, commercial version, DFX+, update to LW8 plus Free year of Keyframe magazine subscription ! US only I believe.

Because of our educational status, it is no problem at all. Just send off an email to customer service and will receive a VERY prompt reply for any questions. Hope you find this information and others as well in our situation to be solved.

Cheers !:D

Trulsi
07-12-2003, 11:28 AM
Thanks GCL:-) But I still need to hear it from Newtek before I shell out my 6000 NOK. And their customer support doesn't exactly give prompt replies.

GCL
07-12-2003, 06:07 PM
DMG Publishing contacted Newtek and explained my situation.
They wanted to protect themselves and quote a correct amount. Apparently they have a better pipeline to Newtek for answers.
I just need to wait for LW8 arrival / upgrade and will be receiving DFX+ once order has been processed.
The upgrade will make my copy officially commercialized.
I don't know if they will offer a free year's subscription being out of the USA.
Hope you can get an answer. Otherwise, send them an email.

caustic wave
07-13-2003, 01:00 AM
good luck on them, Are they even corporated or what??
enter ther real world, no money, no support!

Trulsi
07-13-2003, 07:22 AM
Thanks GCL:-) But since I don't want to go to customs hell, I think I'll buy it from my local reseller... Or well... I think I'll have to check it with the customs office as well:-) And perhaps Keyframe mag could get a general statement from Newtek. I'll check with them. Again, thanks alot:-)

Hmm. You see how confused I am? I'm talking rubbish here... Sundays...

Trulsi
07-15-2003, 05:08 PM
My reseller's vacation just cost him a sale. I just bought an upgrade to LW8 commercial and DFX+ and a keyframe subscription. Yeah!

GCL
07-15-2003, 05:56 PM
Great Trulsi !
Sounds like you were able to work out something with Keyframe ? I found their customer service excellent. I know I will enjoy reading my Keyframe magazines for the year.
Hope I get the DFX+ dongle rather than have it tied to my LW dongle.

Cheers :D

Beamtracer
07-15-2003, 08:27 PM
You're from Trondheim... maybe you would have got a faster response if you sent a letter to be delivered by the Hurtigruten!

Trulsi
07-16-2003, 02:34 AM
... or perhaps by train to Hell? (turn up the brightness on your monitor and read the sign on the old warehouse). Just about 30 minutes with car from where I live. Boy, it's hot here:-P

Here is the hurtigruten webcam, btw. Won't pass hell, but it's in Trondheim right now: http://www.bt.no/kamera/article24452

And GCL; yep, I worked it out with Keyframe. You're absolutely right about their excellent service!