PDA

View Full Version : Why Lightwave was not considered?

AmigaNewTek
12-19-2007, 10:00 AM
Hi everyone.
Looking around the web we can find many rendering engine for various 3D applications. We have Vray, MentalRay, Indigo Render, SunFlower, Luxrender, and others. Why this rendering engine was not developed for lightwave too?
:confused:

Steamthrower
12-19-2007, 11:07 AM
I think LuxRender is planning on writing a LW exporter. But I'm not sure about the others. My personal opinion would be, "because LW's native renderer is so good". But I'm sure others would digress.

Remember, we do have several renderers solely for LW like Kray or Fprime.

UnCommonGrafx
12-19-2007, 11:30 AM
I think it has been because LW has been/is being used as a rendering engine for other apps. Said a different way, I think that many of those software houses don't see LW as a way to make money since the LW renderer is so versatile.
On top of what Inigo07 said, we have at least one renderer that all the other 3D worlds wish they had. Plus a plethora of ways to get our material into their apps, for free no less, that we, the lw community, don't look as inviting as the others do.

kmacphail
12-19-2007, 11:35 AM
I actually wrote a basic exported for SunFlow earlier this year:

http://www.kevinmacphail.com/6.html

I'm just guessing here, but doubt many of these developers use Lightwave, so they have no reason to write an exporter for it. I wrote the SunFlow exporter because its developer is a friend of mine and it seemed like it would be interesting.

Cheers,

-Kevin

Exception
12-19-2007, 11:41 AM
We have one of the best native renderers of any package...

and then:
Kray
Fprime
Maxwell
Swift3D
FryRender
Sunflower (partially)

and for some Poetry in Motion as well.
Plus some others I've forgotten about.

Since Kray is faster than Vrya mostly and can do the same if not more for less money, I would think the Vray guys would scratch their head before considering developing for LW.

archijam
12-19-2007, 04:18 PM
Exception, do you really use Swift 3D?

Exception
12-19-2007, 04:27 PM
Exception, do you really use Swift 3D?

Yea.. remember this one?
http://www.except.nl/overig/yale/thehospital/thehospital.htm
(movies are currently missing, flash should work tho)

zapper1998
12-19-2007, 04:31 PM
I have heard that LW's Render Engine, is a Very Good Render Engine.....

I think I have Swift3D some where's on the HD, hmmmmm

Wonder if it will work on the 64 bit machine ?????

Michael

-EsHrA-
12-20-2007, 02:16 AM
lw native is pretty good though not much use the native engines anymore.
so lets not compare em with those.

mlon

Cageman
12-20-2007, 05:14 AM
LWs renderer is on par with MR, that's for sure. Depending on wich app is used with MR, LW is either on par or slightly, slightly ahead, or slightly behind. Also, the type of shading that is going to be rendered factor in here.

cresshead
12-20-2007, 05:28 AM
it would be nice for lightwave to get some arch and design style shader presets/templates SHIPPING with the lightwave install like that of what mental ray has for 3dsmax....makes life simpler, faster and looks better!

:thumbsup:

Steamthrower
12-20-2007, 07:27 AM
it would be nice for lightwave to get some arch and design style shader presets/templates SHIPPING with the lightwave install like that of what mental ray has for 3dsmax....makes life simpler, faster and looks better!

Ditto! Agree fully.

Matt
12-20-2007, 07:31 AM
I'm guessing here, but I reckon at the time of planning / writing the main players (Vray etc) may have been restricted by the LW SDK, as it didn't allow much integration like it does now.

And now that it does, the LW market has shrunk to a point where it's probably not commercially viable to write their engines for LW.

Regarding render quality, a LOT has to do with the person driving it, I've seen pretty average stuff from ALL render engines, and amazing stuff from them as well.

So you have to look at it in terms of user ability and ease of execution to achieve the desired results.

AmigaNewTek
12-20-2007, 07:54 AM
Is Fprime capable to render all of a LW scene? Is capable of rendering volumetric?

cresshead
12-20-2007, 08:06 AM
is fprime 2 working in lightwave 9.3.1?
my 2nd old lw8 seat was upgraded a while back to 9 but i've not installed it as yet..that had fprime on it...the old version..was wondering if it's worth putting on my new pc which has vista 64bit.

steve g

AmigaNewTek
12-20-2007, 08:07 AM
I actually wrote a basic exported for SunFlow earlier this year:

http://www.kevinmacphail.com/6.html

Cool! Keep on with the good work.

:)

-EsHrA-
12-20-2007, 08:12 AM

let us make the equivalent of Architectural Materials for MR now for LW.

was planning on starting a thread on this, maybe will soon.

mlon

Matt
12-20-2007, 12:41 PM
let us make the equivalent of Architectural Materials for MR now for LW.

was planning on starting a thread on this, maybe will soon.

mlon

Sounds good, let's do this!

archijam
12-20-2007, 01:00 PM
nice idea mlon. :) well worth the effort ...

Iain
12-20-2007, 01:34 PM
I disagree about LW being on a par with MR. It's not nearly as far behind as it used to be but I think that's stretching the truth a little.

But yes, I think a lot more engines would have targeted LW had the SDK been more open at the time of their conception.

-EsHrA-
12-21-2007, 10:46 AM
correct ian, LW is definatly not up to par with MR.
saying it is is just not correct.

will start a thread soon on architectural materials and my ideas since i have my vacation now, time is on my side for once.

mlon

ps. btw. u guys seen this? http://www.evermotion.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63778
would love to see something like this with kray.

lardbros
12-21-2007, 10:59 AM
I dunno guys, i use mental ray every single day at work, and i'm constantly moaning about the speed. We can't ever use motion blur or DOF because it's simply prohibitive, and we have a render farm. I feel sorry for the people without one, who also use MR.

Even simple Final Gather and Global illumination within MR is quite a time consuming task. It is possible to get something ok (if you use Ambient occlusion to back up the solution), but after 5 minutes with Vray, i was making the same objects look 100 times nicer! But still not as nice as i could with LW on it's own! Thats just my opinion though! I've fought for hours trying to rid of crappy artifacts in reflections and stuff in MR, but none of this seems to happen with LW

mav3rick
12-21-2007, 01:50 PM
well ppl dont know until they feel how bad it is when deadline knock on doors..... than lw is more than lovely solution to get you out of mud...

i was always faster than any of studios in my country that use that "advance" renderers to bring quality wich always suffers due deadlines and lack of time...

archijam
12-21-2007, 02:15 PM

will start a thread soon on architectural materials and my ideas since i have my vacation now, time is on my side for once.

mlon

ps. btw. u guys seen this? http://www.evermotion.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63778
would love to see something like this with kray.

mlon - jeuj! :)

Found that one as well on evermotion. Simply gorgeous.

Horrible tree models (http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/1534/fujihcloudyp3fe9.jpg) tho ...

The leaves and bark are amazing, but the branches are stuck on with glue :)

j.

Cageman
12-21-2007, 04:08 PM

:)

As I wrote in my comment about MR/LW it clearly depends on what app you are using MR with and what kind of surfaces to render. :) And, yes, motion blur is an issue that is quite severe for us, but we have found other issues as well. As of now, these issues are non-issues with LW-renderer. As I've said, it clearly comes down to what you are forced to render in camera and what you are allowed to fake with compositing tricks in order to say 'LW is better' or 'MR is better'